NDO 3.2 on Win98 SE Notebook - GEOS

This is a discussion on NDO 3.2 on Win98 SE Notebook - GEOS ; Hello, Would I be better off running NDO on Windows98SE or making a dual boot Win98SE and PCDOS7/NDO? If I went with installing NDO on Win98SE is there online resource available to advise on best way to make any required ...

  1. NDO 3.2 on Win98 SE Notebook

    Hello,
    Would I be better off running NDO on Windows98SE or making a dual boot
    Win98SE and PCDOS7/NDO? If I went with installing NDO on Win98SE is
    there online resource available to advise on best way to make any
    required modifications to .bat and .ini file? TIA for the help!
    OmaNOSPAMSteak@Hotmail.com

  2. Re: NDO 3.2 on Win98 SE Notebook

    NDO runs very nicely on Win98SE with no mods needed othar than those suggested
    during the NDO installation process.

    John ;-)

    OmaNOSPAMSteak@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Would I be better off running NDO on Windows98SE or making a dual boot
    > Win98SE and PCDOS7/NDO? If I went with installing NDO on Win98SE is
    > there online resource available to advise on best way to make any
    > required modifications to .bat and .ini file? TIA for the help!
    > OmaNOSPAMSteak@Hotmail.com

  3. Re: NDO 3.2 on Win98 SE Notebook

    OmaNOSPAMSteak@hotmail.com wrote in message news:...
    > Hello,
    > Would I be better off running NDO on Windows98SE or making a dual boot
    > Win98SE and PCDOS7/NDO? If I went with installing NDO on Win98SE is
    > there online resource available to advise on best way to make any
    > required modifications to .bat and .ini file? TIA for the help!
    > OmaNOSPAMSteak@Hotmail.com

    Hi!

    Win or plain dos:
    On some systems, running Geos within Windows is the only way to access
    the mouse, the printer, the modem, the soundcard and to choose a
    video-mode better than 640*480*16 in Geos. But on other systems
    Windows is blocking the access to your hardware and/or is restricting
    the number of working video-modes under Geos.
    In other words:
    Give it a try under Windows (under "settings for loader.exe" disable
    the screensaver and disable all keyboard-shortcuts other than
    ALT-TAB). If it doesn't work, try it with a dos-boot-disk.

    Modifications (independent of your above choise):

    config.sys/autoexec.bat:
    - just follow the hints shown during the installation

    geos.ini:
    - if geos doesn't start after installation and only gives a "kr-'some
    number'"-error, try adding a "fs = ms4.geo" to the [system]-category

    Some additional hints:
    http://www.geos-infobase.de/ND_DOCS/271.HTM

    Hope this helps,
    Jörg

  4. Re: NDO 3.2 on Win98 SE Notebook

    Thank you both for the help. BTW, the new version 8 of System
    Commander includes a "feature" called TrueDOS, which purports to give
    a true DOS prompt under Win95/98/ME to support running "legacy" (DOS?)
    programs. I've been using version 7 for some time and have found it
    works well. I've got one desktop PC that can run Win98SE, WinXP and
    Lindows/Linspire Linux. Again, thanks for the assistance.

    On 1 Sep 2004 08:19:55 -0700, newpilz@my-deja.com (J?rg Polzfu?)
    wrote:

    >OmaNOSPAMSteak@hotmail.com wrote in message news:...
    >> Hello,
    >> Would I be better off running NDO on Windows98SE or making a dual boot
    >> Win98SE and PCDOS7/NDO? If I went with installing NDO on Win98SE is
    >> there online resource available to advise on best way to make any
    >> required modifications to .bat and .ini file? TIA for the help!
    >> OmaNOSPAMSteak@Hotmail.com

    >Hi!
    >
    >Win or plain dos:
    >On some systems, running Geos within Windows is the only way to access
    >the mouse, the printer, the modem, the soundcard and to choose a
    >video-mode better than 640*480*16 in Geos. But on other systems
    >Windows is blocking the access to your hardware and/or is restricting
    >the number of working video-modes under Geos.
    >In other words:
    >Give it a try under Windows (under "settings for loader.exe" disable
    >the screensaver and disable all keyboard-shortcuts other than
    >ALT-TAB). If it doesn't work, try it with a dos-boot-disk.
    >
    >Modifications (independent of your above choise):
    >
    >config.sys/autoexec.bat:
    >- just follow the hints shown during the installation
    >
    >geos.ini:
    >- if geos doesn't start after installation and only gives a "kr-'some
    >number'"-error, try adding a "fs = ms4.geo" to the [system]-category
    >
    >Some additional hints:
    >http://www.geos-infobase.de/ND_DOCS/271.HTM
    >
    >Hope this helps,
    >Jörg