Port JAVA stuff to GEOS? - GEOS

This is a discussion on Port JAVA stuff to GEOS? - GEOS ; http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/ is a very cool sounding DB engine with very small requirements of RAM (like 170kb?) and is written in JAVA. Aynone up to port it? :-) It is going to be the DB core of OpenOffice 2.0 thus I ...

  1. Port JAVA stuff to GEOS?

    http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/

    is a very cool sounding DB engine with very small requirements of RAM
    (like 170kb?) and is written in JAVA. Aynone up to port it? :-)

    It is going to be the DB core of OpenOffice 2.0 thus I suppose it is not
    that bad :-)

    regards
    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  2. Re: Port JAVA stuff to GEOS?

    Dominique Vocat schrieb:

    > http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > is a very cool sounding DB engine with very small requirements of RAM
    > (like 170kb?) and is written in JAVA. Aynone up to port it? :-)
    >
    > It is going to be the DB core of OpenOffice 2.0 thus I suppose it is not
    > that bad :-)
    >
    > regards
    > Dom
    > --
    > C:\>

    Maybe the DB engine 'only' requires 170KB, but the Java VM itself
    requires several MB and a LOT of CPU time
    To port it to C++ would require porting of large parts of the Java
    runtime and increase memory usage of the final program to a similar
    amount.

    Grossibaer

  3. Re: Port JAVA stuff to GEOS?

    Jens-Michael Gross wrote:

    > Maybe the DB engine 'only' requires 170KB, but the Java VM itself
    > requires several MB and a LOT of CPU time
    > To port it to C++ would require porting of large parts of the Java
    > runtime and increase memory usage of the final program to a similar
    > amount.
    >
    > Grossibaer

    yeah, I have not analyzed the code in depth :-) however there is like
    not much GUI involved and the DB engine includes very little basically
    does all itself for it stores it0s stuff in XML so there is not much to
    include from the java platform's modules :-) so I think it might be a
    valable porting target. I can be wrong of course :-)

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

+ Reply to Thread