Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive... - GEOS

This is a discussion on Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive... - GEOS ; I was gone for awhile and have lost the responses to my original question, but I thank whoever gave me the instructions for formatting to DOS a NT 4.0 harddrive on a used system I recently acquired. Unfortunately, no matter ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    I was gone for awhile and have lost the responses to my original question, but
    I thank whoever gave me the instructions for formatting to DOS a NT 4.0
    harddrive on a used system I recently acquired. Unfortunately, no matter what I
    do with fdisk or format or any other DOS command nothing works. It seems there
    is something blocking the commands from the A:\ drive disk to the hard disk. I
    was able to format the D:/ partition, but not the C:\, nor was I able to
    eliminate the partitions. It seems the NT 4.0 command.com equivelant takes
    primacy.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  2. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    >Subject: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...
    >From: cblankii@aol.com (C BLANK II)
    >Date: 8/22/2004 6:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >I was gone for awhile and have lost the responses to my original question,
    >but
    >I thank whoever gave me the instructions for formatting to DOS a NT 4.0
    >harddrive on a used system I recently acquired. Unfortunately, no matter what
    >do with fdisk or format or any other DOS command nothing works. It seems
    >there
    >is something blocking the commands from the A:\ drive disk to the hard disk.
    >was able to format the D:/ partition, but not the C:\, nor was I able to
    >eliminate the partitions. It seems the NT 4.0 command.com equivelant takes
    >primacy.
    >

    >Chip Blank

    I am presuming you booted to the floppy and then also used:

    fdisk /mbr (transfers master-boot-record from the floppy disk to the root
    drive)

    One of the options in fdisk should allow you to delete the non-dos partition.
    Yours doesn't?

    Ray

  3. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    Hi!

    > do with fdisk or format or any other DOS command nothing works. It seems there
    > is something blocking the commands from the A:\ drive disk to the hard disk. I
    > was able to format the D:/ partition, but not the C:\, nor was I able to
    > eliminate the partitions. It seems the NT 4.0 command.com equivelant takes
    > primacy.

    Of course you'll need a DOS-boot-disk and you'll have to boot DOS from
    that disk and do the fdisk/format-stuff from the DOS-prompt. Otherwise
    NT will prevent you from deleting it ;-)

    Jörg

  4. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***I am presuming you booted to the floppy and then also used:
    ***

    Couldn't do it, Ray. The startup bypasses the a:\ drive and I can't get into
    the system setup to see what is up. I can't get into any DOS command at all
    right now.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  5. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    cblankii@aol.com (C BLANK II) wrote in message news:<20040824015108.18151.00002101@mb-m03.aol.com>...
    > ***I am presuming you booted to the floppy and then also used:
    > ***
    >
    > Couldn't do it, Ray. The startup bypasses the a:\ drive and I can't get into
    > the system setup to see what is up. I can't get into any DOS command at all
    > right now.
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

    Hi!

    Couldn't you just add "a:" to the [operating systems]-section of your boot.ini?!
    E.g.:

    [operating systems]
    A:\="Boot from Disk"

    Jörg

  6. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    What is the brand of the computer?
    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-08-24 07:51, C BLANK II wrote:

    >***I am presuming you booted to the floppy and then also used:
    >***
    >
    >Couldn't do it, Ray. The startup bypasses the a:\ drive and I can't get into
    >the system setup to see what is up. I can't get into any DOS command at all
    >right now.
    >

    >Chip Blank
    >GUI
    >GeoGrafix
    >
    >The GEOS Users International website is at:
    >http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  7. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    Chip --

    Can you change the BIOS to make it check for a boot disk in drive A: "first?"

    Ray
    Ray Kopczynski

    Geos -- The O/S for those who have simpler needs and hardware...
    http://profiles.yahoo.com/geoholic

  8. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***I am presuming you booted to the floppy and then also used:

    fdisk /mbr (transfers master-boot-record from the floppy disk to the root
    drive)

    One of the options in fdisk should allow you to delete the non-dos partition.
    Yours doesn't? ***

    OK...I finally learned how to get the setup menus on this computer. I switched
    the boot sequence to use the floppy drive first. I now can use the boot disk in
    the floppy, and was able to use fdisk and format to eliminate the NT 4.0
    situation and get a DOS drive that works. I have GEOS on it now and DOS 5.

    However...The system will only boot up from the floppy. I could not use the
    \mbr switch with fdisk which might have something to do with that. I also find
    this is an 8 gig harddrive but cannot find a way to get logical drives or
    partions on anything above the first 2 gigabytes.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  9. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***Hi!

    Couldn't you just add "a:" to the [operating systems]-section of your
    boot.ini?!
    E.g.:

    [operating systems]
    A:\="Boot from Disk"

    Jörg***

    Jorg, I am really bad with hardware issues and DOS commands. I have no idea
    what you are talking about as a result. But I have partially succeeeded in
    formating a useable C: drive.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  10. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***What is the brand of the computer?
    BR,
    Hans***

    It is a DELL, Hans. I have found the way in to setup for DELL. Thanks for
    wanting to help.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  11. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    Hi!

    > Jörg***
    >
    > Jorg, I am really bad with hardware issues and DOS commands. I have no idea
    > what you are talking about as a result.

    This part of the boot.ini is used by Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP to show
    the "boot another OS or boot Windows with some special options" while
    Windows gets loaded. If you wouldn't have succeeded in enabling the
    "boot from floppy disk a:"-function in your BIOS, you could have used
    this NT-feature to boot DOS from a DOS-boot-disk instead. But since
    you've found the BIOS-option, you can just ignore my postings ;-)

    Jörg

  12. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    You have to transfer the system files from the floppy to the harddisk.
    This is best done with the SYS command on the floppy.
    Do like this:

    1) Boot up from the floppy
    2) When you have booted up from the floppy you should stand a the a:\>
    prompt
    3) At the a:\> prompt write SYS C: it should look like this: A:\>SYS C:
    4) Now the systen is transferred, and you should have a bootable harddisk.
    5) Remove the floppy from the floppy drive and reboot the computer

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-08-26 07:20, C BLANK II wrote:

    >***I am presuming you booted to the floppy and then also used:
    >
    >fdisk /mbr (transfers master-boot-record from the floppy disk to the root
    >drive)
    >
    >One of the options in fdisk should allow you to delete the non-dos partition.
    >Yours doesn't? ***
    >
    >OK...I finally learned how to get the setup menus on this computer. I switched
    >the boot sequence to use the floppy drive first. I now can use the boot disk in
    >the floppy, and was able to use fdisk and format to eliminate the NT 4.0
    >situation and get a DOS drive that works. I have GEOS on it now and DOS 5.
    >
    >However...The system will only boot up from the floppy. I could not use the
    >\mbr switch with fdisk which might have something to do with that. I also find
    >this is an 8 gig harddrive but cannot find a way to get logical drives or
    >partions on anything above the first 2 gigabytes.
    >

    >Chip Blank
    >GUI
    >GeoGrafix
    >
    >The GEOS Users International website is at:
    >http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  13. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    <<...fdisk /mbr...>>

    >I could not use the \mbr switch with fdisk

    Note the direction of your "switch" (the "slash") -- it should be the slash
    that leans-to-the-right. That should then transfer the master Boot Record from
    the floopy to your hard drive -- presuming you've booted to the floppy. :-)

    Ray

    Ray Kopczynski

    Geos -- The O/S for those who have simpler needs and hardware...
    http://profiles.yahoo.com/geoholic

  14. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***You have to transfer the system files from the floppy to the harddisk.
    This is best done with the SYS command on the floppy.
    Do like this:

    1) Boot up from the floppy
    2) When you have booted up from the floppy you should stand a the a:\>
    prompt
    3) At the a:\> prompt write SYS C: it should look like this: A:\>SYS C:
    4) Now the systen is transferred, and you should have a bootable harddisk.
    5) Remove the floppy from the floppy drive and reboot the computer
    ***

    This worked, Hans. Thanks. The system now boots from the hard drive.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  15. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***Note the direction of your "switch" (the "slash") -- it should be the slash
    that leans-to-the-right. That should then transfer the master Boot Record from
    the floopy to your hard drive -- presuming you've booted to the floppy. :-)

    Ray
    ***

    I tried the slash both ways but no go. Maybe it won't work with MSDOS 5.0.
    Anyway, a tip from Hans, worked, and I can now boot from the hard drive.
    Thanks.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  16. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***I also find
    this is an 8 gig harddrive but cannot find a way to get logical drives or
    partions on anything above the first 2 gigabytes.***

    Today I was informed by an NT certified guy at work, that the partion I
    originally formatted to DOS while NT was still on the drive may not be
    deletable without going through NT, if it was originally made using NT. Since I
    have already deleted NT from the drive, and the backup is on the partion I can
    no longer read, does anyone know of how to get that partition off the drive.
    Right now it is making 6 gigs of space unusable.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  17. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    Hi!

    a) I doubt that you can use 8GB under MS-Dos5.0! :-(
    b) Try a FDISK that hasn't been created by M$, e.g.
    http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/

    Jörg

  18. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    I have used fdisk form DOS to remove the NTFS partition. Use the "Remove
    Non-DOS Partition" option in the Fdisk menu, which I think is a sub menu
    of Remove Partition menu. I can't recall which version of DOS I used,
    nor if this option was there in DOS 5.

    Or use Freedos Fdisk, you can find it at: http://www.freedos.org

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-08-27 06:43, C BLANK II wrote:

    >***I also find
    >this is an 8 gig harddrive but cannot find a way to get logical drives or
    >partions on anything above the first 2 gigabytes.***
    >
    >Today I was informed by an NT certified guy at work, that the partion I
    >originally formatted to DOS while NT was still on the drive may not be
    >deletable without going through NT, if it was originally made using NT. Since I
    >have already deleted NT from the drive, and the backup is on the partion I can
    >no longer read, does anyone know of how to get that partition off the drive.
    >Right now it is making 6 gigs of space unusable.
    >
    >Chip Blank
    >GUI
    >GeoGrafix
    >
    >The GEOS Users International website is at:
    >http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  19. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***a) I doubt that you can use 8GB under MS-Dos5.0! :-(
    b) Try a FDISK that hasn't been created by M$, e.g.
    http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/

    Jörg
    ***

    I thought it might be possible by creating extended drives of less than 2 gig
    each. If not, that's the way it goes. I will try the other fdisk later. Thanks
    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  20. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***Or use Freedos Fdisk, you can find it at: http://www.freedos.org

    BR,