Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive... - GEOS

This is a discussion on Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive... - GEOS ; Hi! > I thought it might be possible by creating extended drives of less than 2 > gig each. If not, that's the way it goes. I will try the other fdisk > later. Thanks Chip Blank I'm not absulety ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    Hi!

    > I thought it might be possible by creating extended drives of less than 2
    > gig each. If not, that's the way it goes. I will try the other fdisk
    > later. Thanks Chip Blank

    I'm not absulety sure, but as far as I can remember, MS-Dos 5.0 only
    supported partitions up to 2 GB and hard-disks up to 4 GB (independent of
    the size of the partitions - larger hard-disks are only visible as 4GB
    ones). But I'm not 100% sure, whether this was changed from Dos 4.x to 5.x
    or from 5.x to 6.x ... . So if you do encounter any problems, this doesn't
    have to be due to using a former-NT-harddisk, but could be due to your
    dos-version, too.

    Jörg

  2. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    C BLANK II schrieb:

    > ***Note the direction of your "switch" (the "slash") -- it should be the slash
    > that leans-to-the-right. That should then transfer the master Boot Record from
    > the floopy to your hard drive -- presuming you've booted to the floppy. :-)
    >
    > Ray
    > ***
    >
    > I tried the slash both ways but no go. Maybe it won't work with MSDOS 5.0.
    > Anyway, a tip from Hans, worked, and I can now boot from the hard drive.
    > Thanks.

    The command 'fdisk /mbr' does not make any partition bootable. This is
    done with the SYS command or the OS isntaller.
    The MBR (Master Boot Record) is some code placed into the first HD
    sector (besides the partition table which occupies the last 64 bytes of
    the first HD sector), This code just scans the partition table for any
    valid and active boot partition and loads and executes the bootloader of
    this partition. If any. I fnot, it will return an error to the BIOS. And
    the BIOS will react as if there was no MBR at all.

    Usually, the MBR is OS independent and works with any OS.
    Linux, however, puts different code there to always load its boot
    manager, as does other boot manager software or those DISK managers
    which load code to support larger HDs before booting the OS.

    Grossibaer

  3. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    C BLANK II schrieb:

    > ***a) I doubt that you can use 8GB under MS-Dos5.0! :-(
    > b) Try a FDISK that hasn't been created by M$, e.g.
    > http://www.23cc.com/free-fdisk/
    >
    > Jörg
    > ***
    >
    > I thought it might be possible by creating extended drives of less than 2 gig
    > each. If not, that's the way it goes. I will try the other fdisk later. Thanks

    If the BIOS supports the disk size (8GB usually is the limit for older
    systems, as 512MB was for the very old computers), you can create an
    extended partition with mor ethan one 2GB partition inside. That's
    supported by DOS 5.x.

    As for the NT partition: well, A friend once got a computer with OS/2
    isntalled. He wanted to delete OS/2 and isntall MS-DOS.
    FDISK from Mickeysoft told him that there are no logical drives in the
    extended partition, but it cannot delete it because there are still
    logical drives inside.
    It didn't show th eOS/2 partitions and didn't allow to delete them, but
    refused to delete the extended partition with them inside.
    Plain stupid.

    FDISK from DRDOS 6 had no problem telling me which kind these partitons
    are and allowed me to delete them without problems.
    Well, This FDISK didn't have an undocumented '/mbr' switch too. It had a
    regular menu entry 'rewrite master boot record' and also did a backup 0f
    the old one with an option to restore it.

    Grossibaer

  4. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***The command 'fdisk /mbr' does not make any partition bootable. This is
    done with the SYS command or the OS isntaller.
    The MBR (Master Boot Record) is some code placed into the first HD
    sector (besides the partition table which occupies the last 64 bytes of
    the first HD sector), This code just scans the partition table for any
    valid and active boot partition and loads and executes the bootloader of
    this partition. If any. I fnot, it will return an error to the BIOS. And
    the BIOS will react as if there was no MBR at all.

    Usually, the MBR is OS independent and works with any OS.
    Linux, however, puts different code there to always load its boot
    manager, as does other boot manager software or those DISK managers
    which load code to support larger HDs before booting the OS.

    Grossibaer
    ***

    Thanks for the info, Jens.
    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  5. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***I'm not absulety sure, but as far as I can remember, MS-Dos 5.0 only
    supported partitions up to 2 GB and hard-disks up to 4 GB (independent of
    the size of the partitions - larger hard-disks are only visible as 4GB
    ones). But I'm not 100% sure, whether this was changed from Dos 4.x to 5.x
    or from 5.x to 6.x ... . So if you do encounter any problems, this doesn't
    have to be due to using a former-NT-harddisk, but could be due to your
    dos-version, too.

    Jörg***

    Thanks for the info, Jorg.
    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  6. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***I'm not absulety sure, but as far as I can remember, MS-Dos 5.0 only
    supported partitions up to 2 GB and hard-disks up to 4 GB (independent of
    the size of the partitions - larger hard-disks are only visible as 4GB
    ones). But I'm not 100% sure, whether this was changed from Dos 4.x to 5.x
    or from 5.x to 6.x ... . So if you do encounter any problems, this doesn't
    have to be due to using a former-NT-harddisk, but could be due to your
    dos-version, too.

    Jörg***

    I found a utility for partitions on the internet. I tried it on a
    Windows'95/GEOS system that was only showing the first 2 gigs of the harddrive.
    It eliminated the logical drives in the extended partition. I was then able to
    use FDISK in windows 95 to reset two logical drives in the extended partiton
    (MSDOS 5, 6 and 6.2 fdisk would not work). I can now use the entire harddrive
    in GEOS or Windows.

    Now I need to get Windows 95 on the former NT drive I have on another machine,
    since this partition utility needs Win'95 or higher to work.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  7. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    In article <20040905215802.17534.00000158@mb-m20.aol.com>,
    C BLANK II wrote:
    (Jens talking here . . .)
    >***The command 'fdisk /mbr' does not make any partition bootable. This is
    >done with the SYS command or the OS isntaller.

    Well, the SYS or FORMAT commands or the OS installer will write the
    boot information to the boot sector of the partition. The fdisk command
    (without the /mbr) must be used to label a partition as bootable (i.e.,
    to tell the system to look in the partition for boot information). Maybe
    there's some confusion there.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  8. Re: Formatting NT 4.0 harddrive...

    ***Now I need to get Windows 95 on the former NT drive I have on another
    machine,
    since this partition utility needs Win'95 or higher to work.

    Chip Blank***

    I finally downloaded the fdisk utility of FreeDOS as someone suggested. With it
    I was able to delete logical drives in the extended partiton (6 gigs) of the
    former NT harddrive, and reset the logical drives using the FreeDOS fdisk. I
    can now see and use all 8 gigs with GEOS and Win 3.1 with MSDOS5 as the
    underlying OS. Thanks.