Gonzo Update 1.02 - GEOS

This is a discussion on Gonzo Update 1.02 - GEOS ; Hi all, there is a little bugfixed version of GONZO available on my homepage: www.rbettsteller.de This version 1.02 fixes a problem with downcased file names, if you use the file system driver for long file names. And it is now ...

  1. Gonzo Update 1.02

    Hi all,

    there is a little bugfixed version of GONZO available on my homepage:
    www.rbettsteller.de
    This version 1.02 fixes a problem with downcased file names, if you
    use the file system driver for long file names. And it is now able to
    print GEOS backgrounds.

    Regards
    Rainer

  2. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    In article <19f39f6f.0408061041.4717d49@posting.google.com>,
    Rainer Bettsteller wrote:

    >the file system driver for long file names

    Er, what does this mean, exactly? Is there a file system driver for Windows-
    style long filenames?
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  3. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Yes there is, Doug. It is used in the GPC with its Datalite DOS that
    supports Win LFNs.

    John ;-)

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > In article <19f39f6f.0408061041.4717d49@posting.google.com>,
    > Rainer Bettsteller wrote:
    >

    >>the file system driver for long file names

    > Er, what does this mean, exactly? Is there a file system driver for Windows-
    > style long filenames?

  4. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Thanks, Rainer! I have downloded it, already! Great app!

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-08-06 20:41, Rainer Bettsteller wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >there is a little bugfixed version of GONZO available on my homepage:
    >www.rbettsteller.de
    >This version 1.02 fixes a problem with downcased file names, if you
    >use the file system driver for long file names. And it is now able to
    >print GEOS backgrounds.
    >
    >Regards
    >Rainer

  5. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Thanks Rainer,
    for keeping on supporting Geos with your work. That goes of course for all
    the programmers out there.

    And my registration code of the first version also works fine!
    Great job!

    Edward

    "Rainer Bettsteller" schreef in bericht
    news:19f39f6f.0408061041.4717d49@posting.google.co m...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > there is a little bugfixed version of GONZO available on my homepage:
    > www.rbettsteller.de
    > This version 1.02 fixes a problem with downcased file names, if you
    > use the file system driver for long file names. And it is now able to
    > print GEOS backgrounds.
    >
    > Regards
    > Rainer

  6. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    John Howard wrote in message news:<10ha0obdj429cae@corp.supernews.com>...
    > Yes there is, Doug. It is used in the GPC with its Datalite DOS that
    > supports Win LFNs.

    You may also use a MS-DOS and the long file name driver doslfn
    http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs_freeware/doslfn.zip
    (Thanks to Steve Everett for this tip!) It occupies about 12k of
    memory.

    John, does the Datalite DOS also support huge hard disk partitions
    (more than 2 GB, eg. 13 GB) ?

    Rainer

  7. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    In article <19f39f6f.0408090048.5192ebc4@posting.google.com>,
    Rainer Bettsteller wrote:
    >John Howard wrote in message
    >> Yes there is, Doug. It is used in the GPC with its Datalite DOS that
    >> supports Win LFNs.

    >You may also use a MS-DOS and the long file name driver doslfn
    >http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs_freeware/doslfn.zip
    >(Thanks to Steve Everett for this tip!) It occupies about 12k of
    >memory.
    >
    >John, does the Datalite DOS also support huge hard disk partitions
    >(more than 2 GB, eg. 13 GB) ?

    So, if I use doslfn, does that allow NDO to see long filenames?
    Or do I need a file system driver from the GPC in addition to doslfn?
    (And if so, can I get it from someone? :-)
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  8. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Hi Rainer,

    Rainer Bettsteller wrote:

    > John Howard wrote in message news:<10ha0obdj429cae@corp.supernews.com>...
    >
    >>Yes there is, Doug. It is used in the GPC with its Datalite DOS that
    >>supports Win LFNs.

    > You may also use a MS-DOS and the long file name driver doslfn
    > http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs_freeware/doslfn.zip
    > (Thanks to Steve Everett for this tip!) It occupies about 12k of
    > memory.
    >
    > John, does the Datalite DOS also support huge hard disk partitions
    > (more than 2 GB, eg. 13 GB) ?

    The GPC has a 4 gig hard drive partitioned into two 2 Gig virtual drive
    partitions (C: and D

    John ;-)

    > Rainer

  9. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Hi Doug,

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    > In article <19f39f6f.0408090048.5192ebc4@posting.google.com>,
    > Rainer Bettsteller wrote:
    >
    >>John Howard wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Yes there is, Doug. It is used in the GPC with its Datalite DOS that
    >>>supports Win LFNs.

    >>You may also use a MS-DOS and the long file name driver doslfn
    >>http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs_freeware/doslfn.zip
    >>(Thanks to Steve Everett for this tip!) It occupies about 12k of
    >>memory.
    >>
    >>John, does the Datalite DOS also support huge hard disk partitions
    >>(more than 2 GB, eg. 13 GB) ?

    > So, if I use doslfn, does that allow NDO to see long filenames?
    > Or do I need a file system driver from the GPC in addition to doslfn?
    > (And if so, can I get it from someone? :-)

    Yes, you need the mslf.geo driver. It's part of NDO2000 (all versions I
    know of) and part of all versions of Breadbox Ensemble. and, of cours
    it's part of the GPC software.

    If you don't have Ensemble or NDO2000 and want to try LFNs on an earleir
    GEOS version, let me know and I'll shoot you a copy of the driver.

    John ;-)

  10. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Hi John,

    John Howard wrote in message news:<10hfl78qhdlei43@corp.supernews.com>...
    > Hi Rainer,

    > The GPC has a 4 gig hard drive partitioned into two 2 Gig virtual drive
    > partitions (C: and D

    Yes, I know, but this was not the question. DOS 6.22 only supports
    hard disk _partitions_ up top 2 GB ( if you have 20 GB, you must make
    ten partitions!), but DOS 7, which comes with Win 98 supports huge
    _partitions_ ( make 20GB Disk to 2 oatitions, 13 GB and 7 GB, eg.)
    But, when i boot with this DOS 7, there is no bult in LFN support (i
    could not activate it, if any) Note: I do not boot windows, I boot DOS
    only.

    The question is: When Datalite DOS has LFN support bulid in, has it
    huge partions support also?

    Rainer

  11. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    In article <10hfluh2ihfka64@corp.supernews.com>,
    John Howard wrote:
    >Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> So, if I use doslfn, does that allow NDO to see long filenames?
    >> Or do I need a file system driver from the GPC in addition to doslfn?
    >> (And if so, can I get it from someone? :-)

    >Yes, you need the mslf.geo driver. It's part of NDO2000 (all versions I
    >know of) and part of all versions of Breadbox Ensemble. and, of cours
    >it's part of the GPC software.
    >
    >If you don't have Ensemble or NDO2000 and want to try LFNs on an earleir
    >GEOS version, let me know and I'll shoot you a copy of the driver.

    Thanks for the info. I do indeed have NDO2000. I'll try out the mslf
    driver with doslfn on my laptop as soon as I get a chance.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  12. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Rainer Bettsteller wrote:
    > Hi John,
    >

    > John Howard wrote in message news:<10hfl78qhdlei43@corp.supernews.com>...
    >
    >>Hi Rainer,

    >>The GPC has a 4 gig hard drive partitioned into two 2 Gig virtual drive
    >>partitions (C: and D

    > Yes, I know, but this was not the question. DOS 6.22 only supports
    > hard disk _partitions_ up top 2 GB ( if you have 20 GB, you must make
    > ten partitions!), but DOS 7, which comes with Win 98 supports huge
    > _partitions_ ( make 20GB Disk to 2 oatitions, 13 GB and 7 GB, eg.)
    > But, when i boot with this DOS 7, there is no bult in LFN support (i
    > could not activate it, if any) Note: I do not boot windows, I boot DOS
    > only.
    >
    > The question is: When Datalite DOS has LFN support bulid in, has it
    > huge partions support also?

    Sorry Rainer, I don't know the answer to that question.

    John ;-)

    > Rainer

  13. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Hi!

    > Yes, you need the mslf.geo driver. It's part of NDO2000 (all versions I
    > know of) and part of all versions of Breadbox Ensemble.

    mslf.geo doesn't work for me :-(
    Either GeoManager/Motif doesn't support the long windows-file-names,
    or the mslf.geo doesn't work under WinME (identifies itself as
    DOS-version 8.00, while Win95/98/98SE identify themself as DOS-version
    7.xx).
    Any ideas?

    Jörg
    P.S.: No, I can't use setver, since setver requires to be loaded from
    the config.sys. And WinME always clears the config.sys :-(

  14. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Gruetzi Jörg,

    I used to patch the WinME system files. See
    http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/

    Bonne continuation,

    Philippe.

    J?rg Polzfu? wrote:
    > P.S.: No, I can't use setver, since setver requires to be loaded from
    > the config.sys. And WinME always clears the config.sys :-(

  15. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Rainer Bettsteller schrieb:

    > Hi John,
    >
    > John Howard wrote in message news:<10hfl78qhdlei43@corp.supernews.com>...
    > > Hi Rainer,

    > > The GPC has a 4 gig hard drive partitioned into two 2 Gig virtual drive
    > > partitions (C: and D

    > Yes, I know, but this was not the question. DOS 6.22 only supports
    > hard disk _partitions_ up top 2 GB ( if you have 20 GB, you must make
    > ten partitions!), but DOS 7, which comes with Win 98 supports huge
    > _partitions_ ( make 20GB Disk to 2 oatitions, 13 GB and 7 GB, eg.)
    > But, when i boot with this DOS 7, there is no bult in LFN support (i
    > could not activate it, if any) Note: I do not boot windows, I boot DOS
    > only.
    >
    > The question is: When Datalite DOS has LFN support bulid in, has it
    > huge partions support also?

    The basic DOS 7.x, while extremely large compared to 6.x, does not
    incorporate the LFN support. It's added to the DOS interrupts inside
    windows later.
    But you can try the earlier mentioned LFN driver to add LFN support in
    DOS 7.x when not booting the WIN GUI.

    I don't think the datalight DOS supports larger partitions than 2GB.
    (the real question is: does it support FAT32. If so, it will suport
    larger partitions. But I doubt it does.)

    Grossibaer

  16. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    J?rg Polzfu? schrieb:

    > Hi!
    >
    > > Yes, you need the mslf.geo driver. It's part of NDO2000 (all versions I
    > > know of) and part of all versions of Breadbox Ensemble.

    > mslf.geo doesn't work for me :-(
    > Either GeoManager/Motif doesn't support the long windows-file-names,
    > or the mslf.geo doesn't work under WinME (identifies itself as
    > DOS-version 8.00, while Win95/98/98SE identify themself as DOS-version
    > 7.xx).
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Jörg
    > P.S.: No, I can't use setver, since setver requires to be loaded from
    > the config.sys. And WinME always clears the config.sys :-(

    Two ways to solve this:
    1) use the DR-Dos utility DEVLOAD which can load many config.sys drivers
    dynamically from the commandline.
    2) use my own program FAKEVER which is loaded from commandline and
    reports a fixed DOS version (needing as much as 1KB memory - because I
    was too lazy to remove the startup code of the compiler). TO be found on
    my website www.grossibaer.de

    Grossibaer

  17. Re: Gonzo Update 1.02

    Hi Jens!

    > I don't think the datalight DOS supports larger partitions than 2GB.
    > (the real question is: does it support FAT32. If so, it will suport
    > larger partitions. But I doubt it does.)

    Quote from datalight's support-pdfs:
    "ROM -DOS 6.22 is capable of utilizing hard drives of up to 8GB and
    ROM-DOS 7.1 is capable of utilizing hard drives of up to 2TB."
    "The hard drive, if your system has one, is identified as drive C:.
    Hard drives can be partitioned (divided) into smaller sections with
    the FDISK utility. Under DOS 6.22, disks exceeding 8GB must be
    partitioned into two or more areas, with a maximum size of 2GB per
    partition but will never use more than the first 8GB of the drive. DOS
    7.1 does not have these restrictions. A separate drive letter
    identifies each hard-drive partition. The first partition is drive C:,
    the next drive D:, and so on. The highest available drive identifier
    is the letter Z."

    In other words: ROM-DOS 7.1 is using VFAT32.

    BTW: PTS DOS 2000 Pro is using FAT32, too:

    "PTS DOS 2000 Pro is a powerful and fast DOS developed by Paragon
    Software.
    It comes with: a simple graphical DOS Navigator; with FAT32, big hard
    drive, and CD-ROM support. ...
    Supports big hard drives (> 8GB).
    FAT32 Special version."

    Jörg

    P.S.: It looks like PTS DOS isn't supporting LFNs :-( :

    Q: Does PTS DOS 2000 Pro support files with long names?
    A: Unfortunately, PTS DOS 2000 Pro does not support long file names.

+ Reply to Thread