QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking - GEOS

This is a discussion on QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking - GEOS ; Finaly, I got the internet on GEOS working out of the QEmu emulator. Shortly: Use the "QEMU.EXE" contained in http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/˜kazuw/qemu....0-windows.zip Use the -isa instead off the -pci command line parameter when starting QEmu. Use a "NE2000.COM" driver for the network ...

  1. QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    Finaly, I got the internet on GEOS working out of the QEmu emulator.

    Shortly:

    Use the "QEMU.EXE" contained in
    http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/˜kazuw/qemu....0-windows.zip

    Use the -isa instead off the -pci command line parameter when starting QEmu.

    Use a "NE2000.COM" driver for the network card.

    Use "Int 9" and "Port 300" in the "NET.CFG" config file.

    Set gateway to the IP address "10.0.2.2" and the first DNS to "10.0.2.3".

    Use an IP address like "10.0.2.x" for the GEOS where x is the number 1 or
    between 4 up to 254.

    If you like, use the Cirrus VGABIOS I mentioned earlier. Without, it's only
    the half fun.

    So, Bochs and QEmu are more or less on the same capabilities level for GEOS.
    Bochs works with the "EMM386.EXE" memory driver where QEmu currently does
    not. But QEmu networking works also over my Wireless LAN connection where
    Bochs wouldn't.

    With QEmu, I don't need to know where I stay and which IP address the computer
    has. It's allways the same. It even should work with a connection using PPPoE.

    I'm really interested to see where we will go in the future. I believe,
    there is less pain for using GEOS further. Emulating let it do anything.
    No hardware hassle with GEOS. Wasn't this one of the main ideas (file access)
    ?

    Andreas

    PS: OK, the last thing is the file access over the network. Hope BreadBox
    can make a client for SMB or the Mars NWE can be ported too GEOS. Actually,
    under Windows, you need to use an image tool or the FTP from GEOS with an
    FTP-Server.

  2. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    sorry, two typos

    Use also the parameter "-user-net" when starting QEmu. But it should be
    the default.

    Mars NWE should be integrated into QEmu or as a service for Windows. It
    allows then to map files with the NetWare Client for DOS as allready used
    for the internet.

    Andreas

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:

    > Finaly, I got the internet on GEOS working out of the QEmu emulator.
    >
    > Shortly:
    >
    > Use the "QEMU.EXE" contained in
    > http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/˜kazuw/qemu....0-windows.zip
    >
    > Use the -isa instead off the -pci command line parameter when starting

    QEmu.

    > Use a "NE2000.COM" driver for the network card.
    >
    > Use "Int 9" and "Port 300" in the "NET.CFG" config file.
    >
    > Set gateway to the IP address "10.0.2.2" and the first DNS to "10.0.2.3".
    >
    > Use an IP address like "10.0.2.x" for the GEOS where x is the number 1

    or
    > between 4 up to 254.
    >
    > If you like, use the Cirrus VGABIOS I mentioned earlier. Without, it's

    only
    > the half fun.
    >
    > So, Bochs and QEmu are more or less on the same capabilities level for

    GEOS.
    > Bochs works with the "EMM386.EXE" memory driver where QEmu currently does
    > not. But QEmu networking works also over my Wireless LAN connection where
    > Bochs wouldn't.
    >
    > With QEmu, I don't need to know where I stay and which IP address the

    computer
    > has. It's allways the same. It even should work with a connection using

    PPPoE.

    > I'm really interested to see where we will go in the future. I believe,
    > there is less pain for using GEOS further. Emulating let it do anything.
    > No hardware hassle with GEOS. Wasn't this one of the main ideas (file

    access)
    > ?
    >
    > Andreas
    >
    > PS: OK, the last thing is the file access over the network. Hope BreadBox
    > can make a client for SMB or the Mars NWE can be ported too GEOS. Actually,
    > under Windows, you need to use an image tool or the FTP from GEOS with

    an
    > FTP-Server.

  3. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    Mars NWE:
    Capture the windows printer for GEOS which can also be used for PDF creation.

    Andreas

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:
    > Mars NWE should be integrated into QEmu or as a service for Windows. It
    > allows then to map files with the NetWare Client for DOS as allready used
    > for the internet.

  4. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:

    > Use the "QEMU.EXE" contained in
    > http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/˜kazuw/qemu....0-windows.zip

    http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~kazuw/qemu....0-windows.zip

    no whitespaces :-)

    --
    C:\>

  5. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    One big issue I have is: I cannot modify the disk images, the only
    decent tool I know is winimage and with that I have no luck in either
    creating comatible images (huh) or edit images... what do you suggest?

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  6. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    I used a bochs image ;-) The tools from QEmu ? I tried to figure it out.
    But there is a second one in the newest version.

    Andreas

    PS: If you can make the disk image bootable under bochs, then use it in
    QEmu.

  7. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:

    > I used a bochs image ;-) The tools from QEmu ? I tried to figure it out.
    > But there is a second one in the newest version.
    >
    > Andreas
    >
    > PS: If you can make the disk image bootable under bochs, then use it in
    > QEmu.

    never got that to work either... winimage bothes up the images. I made
    an image of the newbasic installation floppy and under qemu it would
    just show garbage in the FAT... :-( something must be amiss... no idea
    what however... what do you use for diskimages? fdread from ibm or what?
    (btw: there is a floppy disk image read/write tool from konstantin meyer
    which serves well for distroiutiong and then writing disk images for
    freedos etc. I beleave it to be entirely free so why not include it with
    the freedos disk image Hans?)

    Dom
    (I *hate* those nasty mosikots, keep me form sleeping... ah summertime)
    --
    C:\>

  8. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    There also is a freeware program called DiskExplorer that can be used
    to work with Bochs Disk-Images:
    http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013...k/index_e.html

  9. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    MeyerK wrote:

    > There also is a freeware program called DiskExplorer that can be used
    > to work with Bochs Disk-Images:
    > http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013...k/index_e.html

    seems to work using "vmware plain disk". Thanks!

    --
    C:\>

  10. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    > (btw: there is a floppy disk image read/write tool from konstantin meyer
    > which serves well for distroiutiong and then writing disk images for
    > freedos etc. I beleave it to be entirely free so why not include it with
    > the freedos disk image Hans?)

    Entirely free ? I never even released this baby officially :-)

    Bye,
    MeyerK

  11. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    MeyerK wrote:

    >>(btw: there is a floppy disk image read/write tool from konstantin meyer
    >>which serves well for distroiutiong and then writing disk images for
    >>freedos etc. I beleave it to be entirely free so why not include it with
    >>the freedos disk image Hans?)

    > Entirely free ? I never even released this baby officially :-)
    >
    > Bye,
    > MeyerK

    Then you should. I would (with a warning sign) release all my stuff but
    alas the disk is corrupted containing all the little applets n tools :-).

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  12. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    Dominique Vocat wrote:

    > MeyerK wrote:
    >
    >> There also is a freeware program called DiskExplorer that can be used
    >> to work with Bochs Disk-Images:
    >> http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013...k/index_e.html

    > seems to work using "vmware plain disk". Thanks!

    oh and seems you can keep the disk image open all the while you work
    with the emu so you can drag-n-drop files from/to the emu live! way cool.
    --
    C:\>

  13. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    Hy there!

    I'm trying to run under Win2k a win2k image
    And it work's. But now i want to have a network.

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote in message news:...
    > Finaly, I got the internet on GEOS working out of the QEmu emulator.
    >
    > Use the -isa instead off the -pci command line parameter when starting QEmu.
    >
    > Use a "NE2000.COM" driver for the network card.
    >
    > Use "Int 9" and "Port 300" in the "NET.CFG" config file.

    Did you make this in the virtual or in the real OS?

    I tried everything, but the hostOS don't want to have a ghost nic ;(
    And Int 9 is occupied.

    To you have any idears?

    thx

    Mark

  14. Re: QEmu under WinXP and GEOS networking

    Hello Mark

    There is no ghost NIC in the host OS. There is an emulated NIC inside the
    QEmu presented to the guest OS as a NE2000 compatible card. So you have to
    load the NE2000 driver in the guest OS and tell the driver to use INT 9 and
    PORT 300. The nice thing is, that the guest OS has always the same network
    configuration, independent of the host OS network.

    It's important, that you use the files I mentioned. The current daily builds
    aren't working...

    I write this in NewsReader out of Breadbox Ensemble running under QEum for
    Windows.

    Ask me again if you need more help.

    Greetings

    Andreas