Hint of a NIC to use with GEOS/Breadbox Ensemble - GEOS

This is a discussion on Hint of a NIC to use with GEOS/Breadbox Ensemble - GEOS ; Hi all, I have found a PCI NIC with a ODI driver that is very small when loaded, it even fits in upper memory! It's a NIC with a Realtek chip and it is made by Prime and called 3200rt: ...

  1. Hint of a NIC to use with GEOS/Breadbox Ensemble

    Hi all,
    I have found a PCI NIC with a ODI driver that is very small when loaded,
    it even fits in upper memory! It's a NIC with a Realtek chip and it is
    made by Prime and called 3200rt: http://www.prime.com.tw/ This NIC is
    only 10Mbit, but quite sufficient for GEOS. Beware, all Realtek based
    NICs does not have the same driver, so it can vary from about 24 kb, up
    to 50 kb. My driver is 24 kb and when loaded it takes 8k of the upper
    memory.

    BR,
    Hans

  2. Re: Hint of a NIC to use with GEOS/Breadbox Ensemble

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:06:38 GMT, Hans Lindgren
    wrote:

    [snip - NIC drivers]

    Anyone know a PCMCIA network card with a small odi driver? Currently I
    use a 3COM Etherlink III (3C589D-COMBO), and the driver use 22 kb
    loaded. Not bad, but maybe one of you know a card/driver that use less
    memory?

  3. Re: Hint of a NIC to use with GEOS/Breadbox Ensemble

    Thomas L. Christensen wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:06:38 GMT, Hans Lindgren
    > wrote:
    >
    > [snip - NIC drivers]
    >
    > Anyone know a PCMCIA network card with a small odi driver? Currently I
    > use a 3COM Etherlink III (3C589D-COMBO), and the driver use 22 kb
    > loaded. Not bad, but maybe one of you know a card/driver that use less
    > memory?

    look if you find a "point-enabler" which is NIC Driver plus minimal
    cardservice in one executable requiring significantly less memory. There
    is certainly something arround for xircom and 3com cards...

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  4. Re: Hint of a NIC to use with GEOS/Breadbox Ensemble

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:29:16 +0200, Dominique Vocat
    wrote:

    >look if you find a "point-enabler" which is NIC Driver plus minimal
    >cardservice in one executable requiring significantly less memory. There
    >is certainly something arround for xircom and 3com cards...

    Thanks Dom! I have now found out - by accident - that I don't need the
    cardservice driver at all... the 3COM odi driver I use can also
    activate the PCMCIA port. That saves 26 KB of upper memory... much
    more than I asked for! :-)

    Thomas

  5. Re: Hint of a NIC to use with GEOS/Breadbox Ensemble

    Thomas L. Christensen wrote:

    > Thanks Dom! I have now found out - by accident - that I don't need the
    > cardservice driver at all... the 3COM odi driver I use can also
    > activate the PCMCIA port. That saves 26 KB of upper memory... much
    > more than I asked for! :-)
    >
    > Thomas

    Thats what I meant :-).

    unfortunatedly this doesn't work with many of the more recent chipsets
    :-( but if you have a slightly older slightly pricier notebook it
    usually has a supported chipset.

    Dom
    --
    C:\>