QEMU... - GEOS

This is a discussion on QEMU... - GEOS ; WOW Andreas ! Very cool... that should be the default way of installing GEOS under Windows... I think Breadbox should offer several ways of installing GEOS nowadays, stand-alone with FreeDOS, with QEMU or Bochs... Bye, MeyerK...

  1. QEMU...

    WOW Andreas ! Very cool... that should be the default way of
    installing GEOS under Windows... I think Breadbox should offer several
    ways of installing GEOS nowadays, stand-alone with FreeDOS, with QEMU
    or Bochs...

    Bye,
    MeyerK

  2. Re: QEMU...

    MeyerK wrote:

    > WOW Andreas ! Very cool... that should be the default way of
    > installing GEOS under Windows... I think Breadbox should offer several
    > ways of installing GEOS nowadays, stand-alone with FreeDOS, with QEMU
    > or Bochs...
    >
    > Bye,
    > MeyerK

    Now if the ones to have the license :-) would decide it's smart and a
    "good thing"(tm) to include NewBasic plus the Builder that would be a
    good entry drug and could spur more development :-).

    Anyway, nice work Andreas!

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  3. Re: QEMU...

    Well, NewBasic is owned by NewDeal, I think. At least the developments
    and updates made to it from its origin. Was it called GeoBasic? There is
    at least two ways back. Breadbox gets the right from NewDeal somehow, or
    Breadbox begins from the beginning with GeoBasic.

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-07-23 12:40, Dominique Vocat wrote:

    >MeyerK wrote:
    >

    >>WOW Andreas ! Very cool... that should be the default way of
    >>installing GEOS under Windows... I think Breadbox should offer several
    >>ways of installing GEOS nowadays, stand-alone with FreeDOS, with QEMU
    >>or Bochs...
    >>
    >>Bye,
    >>MeyerK
    >>

    >Now if the ones to have the license :-) would decide it's smart and a
    >"good thing"(tm) to include NewBasic plus the Builder that would be a
    >good entry drug and could spur more development :-).
    >
    >Anyway, nice work Andreas!
    >
    >Dom

  4. Re: QEMU...

    In article ,
    MeyerK wrote:
    >WOW Andreas ! Very cool... that should be the default way of
    >installing GEOS under Windows... I think Breadbox should offer several
    >ways of installing GEOS nowadays, stand-alone with FreeDOS, with QEMU
    >or Bochs...

    Don't forget DOSBox. Works pretty well (under Linux at least; haven't tried
    it with Windows) once you set PrimaryFS=ntfat.geo in your geos.ini file.
    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  5. Re: QEMU...

    I have used DOSBox on windows xp. You can't change the files settings of
    the config.sys and I can't start for example Gonzo or GeoWrite and GeoFile
    the same time. I get a message GEOS can't find a system file.

    So I tested bochs where I got networking from GEOS. But veeeeryyy slow.
    Even on a 1.2GHz machine.

    At the end, DOSBox and Bochs doesn't develope as fast QEMU does. So I keep
    mainly my eyes on it. Even I check the others twice a week.

    Andreas

    Douglas A. Taylor wrote:
    > In article ,
    > MeyerK wrote:
    > >WOW Andreas ! Very cool... that should be the default way of
    > >installing GEOS under Windows... I think Breadbox should offer several
    > >ways of installing GEOS nowadays, stand-alone with FreeDOS, with QEMU
    > >or Bochs...

    > Don't forget DOSBox. Works pretty well (under Linux at least; haven't

    tried
    > it with Windows) once you set PrimaryFS=ntfat.geo in your geos.ini file.
    > --
    > Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    > The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    > doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  6. Re: QEMU...

    > Hans Lindgren schrieb:
    >
    > Well, NewBasic is owned by NewDeal, I think. At least the developments
    > and updates made to it from its origin. Was it called GeoBasic? There

    AFAIK, NewBasic was from Edward di Geronimo and less a programming
    language than a 'basic' UI designer.
    I think, an UI designer that spits out GOC code and a proper bugfixed
    icon editor are the things I miss most for programming

    Grossibaer

  7. Re: QEMU...

    Jens-Michael Gross wrote:

    >>Hans Lindgren schrieb:
    >>
    >>Well, NewBasic is owned by NewDeal, I think. At least the developments
    >>and updates made to it from its origin. Was it called GeoBasic? There

    > AFAIK, NewBasic was from Edward di Geronimo and less a programming
    > language than a 'basic' UI designer.
    > I think, an UI designer that spits out GOC code and a proper bugfixed
    > icon editor are the things I miss most for programming
    >
    > Grossibaer

    I think you confuse a few things :-). AFAIR NewBasic was a cross project
    for GEOS and GEOS/SC at GeoWorks at the time I think it was also (if the
    omnigo had more success) intended also for the OmniGo (hence the default
    Mainwindow size). I think Gene and a few others kept it alive with
    some excuse to keep it as a development tool for GEOS/SC.

    There was some other Basic thingy that Ed did which i think was called
    GeoBasic which was I think a UI designer which created GOC code or
    something... long time ago...

    Well, since it is up for download at TvaKatter (well, the builder that
    is) it might be ok to include it in the geos disk immage. Also ince the
    SDK and the needed Borland compiler are free now too why not put it
    there too... a image to develop and test geos apps all in one :-)

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  8. Re: QEMU...

    Dominique Vocat schrieb:

    > Jens-Michael Gross wrote:
    >
    > >>Hans Lindgren schrieb:
    > >>
    > >>Well, NewBasic is owned by NewDeal, I think. At least the developments
    > >>and updates made to it from its origin. Was it called GeoBasic? There

    > > AFAIK, NewBasic was from Edward di Geronimo and less a programming
    > > language than a 'basic' UI designer.

    > I think you confuse a few things :-).

    No, a typo. And a very bad one in this case
    Of course I meant geoBasic and not NewBasic.

    > Also since the
    > SDK and the needed Borland compiler are free now too why not put it
    > there too... a image to develop and test geos apps all in one :-)

    Last time I checked, the only free Borland compiler was 2.0. Did they
    release 3.1 or later now? (I haven't checked it for at least a year)

    Grossibaer

  9. Re: QEMU...

    Jens-Michael Gross wrote:

    > Last time I checked, the only free Borland compiler was 2.0. Did they
    > release 3.1 or later now? (I haven't checked it for at least a year)
    >
    > Grossibaer

    well, there is a version at tvakatter which works for the SDK for all I
    can tell. It seems to be free...

    Dom
    --
    C:\>