Need setup key code for Compaq. - GEOS

This is a discussion on Need setup key code for Compaq. - GEOS ; I am running my NDOffice'98r3 on a Compaq DeskPro 266 pentium. I bought it used over a year ago and have had no trouble with it. But recently the floppy drive has triggered a hardware error message on startup. I ...

  1. Need setup key code for Compaq.

    I am running my NDOffice'98r3 on a Compaq DeskPro 266 pentium. I bought it used
    over a year ago and have had no trouble with it. But recently the floppy drive
    has triggered a hardware error message on startup. I cannot find the keyboard
    code anywhere to get into 'setup' on this machine to see what is what in the
    hardware configuration. On my Packard Bells the code is a simple three key
    press of cntrl+alt+S, but I can't find anything that works for this Compaq. I
    did not get any paperwork from Computer Renaisance when I bought it. Anyone
    know what might be the Compaq key code?

    Chip Blank
    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  2. Re: Need setup key code for Compaq.

    on old compaqs you usually push the f10 key when a blinking cursor
    appears for a few seconds in the upper right corner of your screen.
    this launches the graphical, "windows like" setup program from the
    special compaq setup partition on the hard drive..

    doesn't compaq's website have this info?

    hyubso

    C BLANK II wrote:
    > I am running my NDOffice'98r3 on a Compaq DeskPro 266 pentium. I bought it used
    > over a year ago and have had no trouble with it. But recently the floppy drive
    > has triggered a hardware error message on startup. I cannot find the keyboard
    > code anywhere to get into 'setup' on this machine to see what is what in the
    > hardware configuration. On my Packard Bells the code is a simple three key
    > press of cntrl+alt+S, but I can't find anything that works for this Compaq. I
    > did not get any paperwork from Computer Renaisance when I bought it. Anyone
    > know what might be the Compaq key code?
    >
    > Chip Blank
    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  3. Re: Need setup key code for Compaq.

    Um, if I recall correctly Compaqs do have some separate partition or
    something where the setup resides. Which is highly uncool if oyu ever
    repartitioned the disk or if you installed another disk. Try and look if
    you find the "setup" as a download at compaq's website.

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  4. Re: Need setup key code for Compaq.

    Hi,

    probabely, simply remove the floppy drive from board. The Compaq will
    tell you, that the configuartion has changed, you must confirm and it
    will boot. This works with other hardware, like hard drives or CD-ROM,
    but i did not this this with the floppy.

    Rainer

  5. Re: Need setup key code for Compaq.

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    Dominique Vocat spake unto us, saying:

    >Um, if I recall correctly Compaqs do have some separate partition or
    >something where the setup resides.

    Some systems (like my Deskpro 6200's) do that, but you can also use a
    floppy diskette.

    >Which is highly uncool if you ever repartitioned the disk or if you
    >installed another disk.

    It's inconvenient, but it isn't required to boot the system (only to
    change settings in the BIOS), and one can easily reinstall a new copy
    from the system diskettes.

    I'm not a fan of the practice, but it isn't as bad as it could be.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

  6. Re: Need setup key code for Compaq.

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, hyubso spake unto us, saying:

    >on old compaqs you usually push the f10 key when a blinking cursor
    >appears for a few seconds in the upper right corner of your screen.
    >this launches the graphical, "windows like" setup program from the
    >special compaq setup partition on the hard drive..

    Yes.

    >doesn't compaq's website have this info?

    It certainly used to. That's where I got the software for my boxes.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    See web site above for resume/CV and background.

  7. Re: Need setup key code for Compaq.

    ***on old compaqs you usually push the f10 key when a blinking cursor
    appears for a few seconds in the upper right corner of your screen.
    this launches the graphical, "windows like" setup program from the
    special compaq setup partition on the hard drive..

    doesn't compaq's website have this info?

    hyubso
    ***

    Thanks for the info. I couldn't find any such info on the compaq site.
    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  8. Re: Need setup key code for Compaq.

    ******on old compaqs you usually push the f10 key when a blinking cursor
    appears for a few seconds in the upper right corner of your screen.
    this launches the graphical, "windows like" setup program from the
    special compaq setup partition on the hard drive..

    doesn't compaq's website have this info?

    hyubso
    ******

    I found a different Compaq internet site that may have the info I need to
    access the setup program I need, but with AOL, going through pages is horribly
    slow tonight, so I will try tomorrow. However, The f10 thing did clear up the
    error message and the floppy drive is working fine now...although the setup
    window never did show itself. How? I don't know.

    BTW I do not have the hard drive that came with the computer in it now. I took
    my working hard drive from my power pack failed Packard Bell and put it in when
    t could'nt format the hard drive that came with the computer. I suspect it is a
    slave from a network workstation. Anyone know how to format such a harddrive?

    Thanks all for the help.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  9. Re: Need setup key code for Compaq.

    you nca download form compaq a utility that will create h "setup
    partition" on your hard drive.. but i don't rmember if this destroy s
    your c partition.. in other words, you start with a blank dirve, add
    the compaq setup partition, then add your msdos partition.. i did it
    years ago..

    also, i believe another possible alternative is to run the setup
    utility from diskette . compaq only loads it on the special hard
    drive partition for conveniance..

    C BLANK II wrote:
    > ******on old compaqs you usually push the f10 key when a blinking cursor
    > appears for a few seconds in the upper right corner of your screen.
    > this launches the graphical, "windows like" setup program from the
    > special compaq setup partition on the hard drive..
    >
    > doesn't compaq's website have this info?
    >
    > hyubso
    > ******
    >
    > I found a different Compaq internet site that may have the info I need to
    > access the setup program I need, but with AOL, going through pages is horribly
    > slow tonight, so I will try tomorrow. However, The f10 thing did clear up the
    > error message and the floppy drive is working fine now...although the setup
    > window never did show itself. How? I don't know.
    >
    > BTW I do not have the hard drive that came with the computer in it now. I took
    > my working hard drive from my power pack failed Packard Bell and put it in when
    > t could'nt format the hard drive that came with the computer. I suspect it is a
    > slave from a network workstation. Anyone know how to format such a harddrive?
    >
    > Thanks all for the help.
    >

    > Chip Blank
    > GUI
    > GeoGrafix
    >
    > The GEOS Users International website is at:
    > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

+ Reply to Thread