QEMU BBE Lite Installer - GEOS

This is a discussion on QEMU BBE Lite Installer - GEOS ; I recently builded an Installer with QEmu running FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble Lite. I testet it on different Windows XP and 2000 computers, and it seeams to work out of box. You must use a 16bit or 32bit color mode ...

  1. QEMU BBE Lite Installer

    I recently builded an Installer with QEmu running FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble
    Lite. I testet it on different Windows XP and 2000 computers, and it seeams
    to work out of box.

    You must use a 16bit or 32bit color mode on Windows.

    Here is the link:

    http://www.geodb.org/download/qemu-bbelite.zip

    Run the installer and start GEOS. You can use the 64k Vesa drivers, 24bit
    color modes doesn't work. Seems to be fixed in CVS, but my Version doesn't
    seems to include that.

    Any suggestions welcome !!!

    Andreas

  2. Re: QEMU BBE Lite Installer

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:57:33 +0000 (UTC), Andreas Bollhalder
    wrote:

    >I recently builded an Installer with QEmu running FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble
    >Lite. I testet it on different Windows XP and 2000 computers, and it seeams
    >to work out of box.
    >
    >You must use a 16bit or 32bit color mode on Windows.
    >
    >Here is the link:
    >
    >http://www.geodb.org/download/qemu-bbelite.zip
    >
    >Run the installer and start GEOS. You can use the 64k Vesa drivers, 24bit
    >color modes doesn't work. Seems to be fixed in CVS, but my Version doesn't
    >seems to include that.
    >
    >Any suggestions welcome !!!

    Wow! I used to follow your threads superficially, but this is
    impressive. It even eliminates my mouse and keyboard delay problem
    (the missing keystrokes I reported several times to this group).

    Some time ago, I set up a full "bells and whistles" NDO installation
    with all the third party apps I have. I'll have to read the QEMU
    documentation how to convert it to this kind of setup.

    Holger

  3. Re: QEMU BBE Lite Installer

    wrote:

    >Any suggestions welcome !!!

    Yes, I have one:

    I noticed that the virtual machine only has virtual drives that work
    well within the system but have nothing to do what soever with your
    actual hardware.

    How can you exchange data with the underlying "real world" OS?

    Perhaps there should be some sort of "network drive" that points to a
    "real" subfolder?

    Holger

  4. Re: QEMU BBE Lite Installer

    I got it working on an XP machine, but not on NT. BUt I have the same
    concern as Holger about getting some way to let the file system 'see'
    the underlying OS.

    John ;-)

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:
    > I recently builded an Installer with QEmu running FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble
    > Lite. I testet it on different Windows XP and 2000 computers, and it seeams
    > to work out of box.
    >
    > You must use a 16bit or 32bit color mode on Windows.
    >
    > Here is the link:
    >
    > http://www.geodb.org/download/qemu-bbelite.zip
    >
    > Run the installer and start GEOS. You can use the 64k Vesa drivers, 24bit
    > color modes doesn't work. Seems to be fixed in CVS, but my Version doesn't
    > seems to include that.
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome !!!
    >
    > Andreas

  5. Re: QEMU BBE Lite Installer

    Yes, it would be nice that we could access the data from the host OS (WinXP).

    Unfortunatly, this does seems very difficult and the guys from QEMU want
    to implement an FTP server.

    Maybe, someone there could make it real.

    Actually, you can use a tools to edit the floppy or cd image to add and
    get files from it.

    The actual usefullness is that a person can now easly try out GEOS.

    Andreas

  6. Re: QEMU BBE Lite Installer

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:

    > Yes, it would be nice that we could access the data from the host OS (WinXP).
    >
    > Unfortunatly, this does seems very difficult and the guys from QEMU want
    > to implement an FTP server.
    >
    > Maybe, someone there could make it real.
    >
    > Actually, you can use a tools to edit the floppy or cd image to add and
    > get files from it.
    >
    > The actual usefullness is that a person can now easly try out GEOS.
    >
    > Andreas

    Yup as for tools, you may try winimage. I had trouble with it but you
    milage may vary. Under Linux you can most probably just point to any
    partition insted of an image file, a thing that as of now is not
    possible under windows.

    Anyway, emulation speed (virtualisation in this case) will greatly
    improve with the ext generation of intel cpu's for they have a few new
    cpu commands to virtualize the cpu (VT technology or something along
    those lines is the catchword if you want to use google on it I think).

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

+ Reply to Thread