GEOS and QEmu - GEOS

This is a discussion on GEOS and QEmu - GEOS ; I managed to run GEOS inside of the QEmu emulator. QEmu is still in development and I need to do more testing. I used DRDOS because FreeDOS has his problems with QEmu. Unfortunatly, it seems QEmu for Win32 is slower ...

  1. GEOS and QEmu

    I managed to run GEOS inside of the QEmu emulator. QEmu is still in development
    and I need to do more testing. I used DRDOS because FreeDOS has his problems
    with QEmu.

    Unfortunatly, it seems QEmu for Win32 is slower then Bochs.

    Do a Google search for the homepage of QEmu.

    Maybe, in the future, QEmu can help running GEOS stable under Windows XP.

    Andreas

  2. Re: GEOS and QEmu

    Download QEmu for Win32 at

    http://www.freeoszoo.org/download.php

    and do a Google search for the updated VGA BIOS with the name

    vgabios-svgacl-20040701.zip

    (sorry, it's a Japanese site ;-))

    The ZIP archive contains the file VGABIOS-lgpl-latest.cirrus.bin which has
    to be copied into the directory of QEmu and renamed to vgabios-cirrus.bin.
    Use the option -cirrusvga when starting QEmu and you would be able to use
    64k colors.

    The newest release seems to be much faster.

    Has anyone managed loading the DOS ODI driver (AMD PC NET) ?

    Andreas

  3. Re: GEOS and QEmu

    The QEmu project has a high activity and it seems to become a real usage
    for fast CPU, because the emulated OS runs more or less 4 times slower.

    I have now FreeDOS running and you should use DOSIDLE from the VMWare website
    so the CPU usage isn't always 100%...

    The current version is 0.6.0 and there is too a screenshot of GEOS running
    in it on the FreeOSZoo.org website ;-)

    Andreas

  4. Re: GEOS and QEmu

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:

    > The QEmu project has a high activity and it seems to become a real usage
    > for fast CPU, because the emulated OS runs more or less 4 times slower.

    Hm, hardly a problem for my more-then-two-GHz PC ;-)

    > I have now FreeDOS running and you should use DOSIDLE from the VMWare website
    > so the CPU usage isn't always 100%...
    > Andreas

    how about a optimized diskimage for it with a geos.ini for optimal
    performance? :-) so we can all try it out?

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  5. Re: GEOS and QEmu

    I'm working on a image. Currently, I have VESA 16bit mode working, but at
    the moment, I'm unable to get the network connection working. So, I have
    to try a little bit more choices.

    Andreas

+ Reply to Thread