FreeDOS for GEOS bootdisk - GEOS

This is a discussion on FreeDOS for GEOS bootdisk - GEOS ; Any opinions regarding the FreeDOS for GEOS Bootdisk? So far I have not recieved any response, despite the number of 65 downloads here, except from Dominique Vocat, John Howard and Gene Anderson. Dominique have cooperated with me in the background, ...

  1. FreeDOS for GEOS bootdisk

    Any opinions regarding the FreeDOS for GEOS Bootdisk?

    So far I have not recieved any response, despite the number of 65 downloads
    here, except from Dominique Vocat, John Howard and Gene Anderson. Dominique
    have cooperated with me in the background, John betatested the bootdisk,
    and Gene have put it up for download.

    Is the bootdisk good as is? Is the install menu system perfect? The install
    options, for the moment three, are they enough? Any hints or input?

    Well I can explain my thoughts regarding this bootdisk, and development
    lines for 1.0 release and some other loose thoughts I have regarding this
    bootdisk.

    I see this bootdisk as a multipurpose disk. It can be used for a bootdisk
    to boot up a clean FreeDOS to be used with GEOS, as well as installing FreeDOS
    to build a GEOS computer.
    The disk is a tooldisk that will contain more executables than the DOS install
    on the harddisk, because the files are not needed regularly. My idea is to
    install just the needed files, the rest resides on the floppy.

    In my opinion the disk is quite good as is, I have plans to add a fourth
    alternative, standard installation without CDROM. There are some files left
    out for the moment, that I would like to see included. Scandisk, Defragment,
    and Undelete will be included if they are in a workable state. Undelete seems
    to be OK. Defragment will most probably be OK, too. The development of Scandisk
    seems to stand still, we have to stick with CHKDSK for the time being. EMM386
    makes GEOS freeze and is left out, if it will ever work with GEOS it would
    be a huge improvement. If that will happen, it would be included. The FreeDOS
    kernel which is included now is 2034, and it will be updated to the latest
    version, for the moment 2035.

    I would also like to stick to batch scripts for the installation as it adds
    simplicity and transparency to the installation and is well in line with
    FreeDOS GNU concept.

    I have also plans of DOS launchers for tools like Chkdsk and Defrag. How
    the installation will be done will be considerd later on, like how to update
    GEOS.INI with the proper file system driver settings.

    Best Regards,
    Hans

  2. Re: FreeDOS for GEOS bootdisk

    On 2004-06-28 12:59, Hans Lindgren wrote:

    >Any opinions regarding the FreeDOS for GEOS Bootdisk?
    >
    >So far I have not recieved any response, despite the number of 65 downloads
    >here, except from Dominique Vocat, John Howard and Gene Anderson. Dominique
    >have cooperated with me in the background, John betatested the bootdisk,
    >and Gene have put it up for download.
    >
    >Is the bootdisk good as is? Is the install menu system perfect? The install
    >options, for the moment three, are they enough? Any hints or input?
    >
    >Well I can explain my thoughts regarding this bootdisk, and development
    >lines for 1.0 release and some other loose thoughts I have regarding this
    >bootdisk.
    >
    >I see this bootdisk as a multipurpose disk. It can be used for a bootdisk
    >to boot up a clean FreeDOS to be used with GEOS, as well as installing FreeDOS
    >to build a GEOS computer.
    >The disk is a tooldisk that will contain more executables than the DOS install
    >on the harddisk, because the files are not needed regularly. My idea is to
    >install just the needed files, the rest resides on the floppy.
    >
    >In my opinion the disk is quite good as is, I have plans to add a fourth
    >alternative, standard installation without CDROM. There are some files left
    >out for the moment, that I would like to see included. Scandisk, Defragment,
    >and Undelete will be included if they are in a workable state. Undelete seems
    >to be OK. Defragment will most probably be OK, too. The development of Scandisk
    >seems to stand still, we have to stick with CHKDSK for the time being. EMM386
    >makes GEOS freeze and is left out, if it will ever work with GEOS it would
    >be a huge improvement. If that will happen, it would be included. The FreeDOS
    >kernel which is included now is 2034, and it will be updated to the latest
    >version, for the moment 2035.
    >
    >I would also like to stick to batch scripts for the installation as it adds
    >simplicity and transparency to the installation and is well in line with
    >FreeDOS GNU concept.
    >
    >I have also plans of DOS launchers for tools like Chkdsk and Defrag. How
    >the installation will be done will be considerd later on, like how to update
    >GEOS.INI with the proper file system driver settings.
    >
    >Best Regards,
    >Hans

  3. Re: FreeDOS for GEOS bootdisk

    Hans,

    I don't completely understand what you are doing. I have original DOS
    disks and licenses for DOS back to 2.11. I currently use Dr-Dos 6
    with Geoworks 2.

    Is this for people who came in late to computing and can't get a DOS?
    Or is it to match the new features on the fastest computers?

    Mike

  4. Re: FreeDOS for GEOS bootdisk

    Mike,

    Well, in essence, both. First, if you want to purchase a DOS license,
    like DR-DOS from Devicelogics, the only option is a bulk license, what I
    can see and recall. Some people does not have DOS disks and licenses,
    and wants to be perfectly legal. This is a simple way to achieve that.
    Secondly, FreeDOS offers better performance and less memory consuming,
    than the DOS:es I have tried (MD-DOS, PC DOS and DR-DOS). You can add
    more very good reasons, like free does not only mean free in the sense
    gratis, but also freedom. It is easy to put together a tailored package
    to suit GEOS.

    Best Regards,
    Hans

    On 2004-06-28 23:38, M Murch wrote:

    >Hans,
    >
    >I don't completely understand what you are doing. I have original DOS
    >disks and licenses for DOS back to 2.11. I currently use Dr-Dos 6
    >with Geoworks 2.
    >
    >Is this for people who came in late to computing and can't get a DOS?
    >Or is it to match the new features on the fastest computers?
    >
    >Mike

+ Reply to Thread