NDO version 4.1.7 - GEOS

This is a discussion on NDO version 4.1.7 - GEOS ; Is there a big advantage to using NDO2000 4.1.7 beta versus using NDO 3.2? I've been asked to do a return hour long radio interview during a live remote so will be "showing off" NDO on my HP 4000CT. I'd ...

  1. NDO version 4.1.7

    Is there a big advantage to using NDO2000 4.1.7 beta versus using NDO
    3.2? I've been asked to do a return hour long radio interview during
    a live remote so will be "showing off" NDO on my HP 4000CT. I'd much
    rather demonstrate Ensemble since it's still a "live" product to
    promote breadbox.com but no retail sales makes that pointless.
    Suggestions??? Thanks!
    OmaSteak

  2. Re: NDO version 4.1.7

    Hi Oma,

    I'm not sure what 4.1.7 is but NDO2000 v4.1.6 is still for sale by
    Breadbox. Not sure whether that makes it a 'live' product ot not. Also
    a lot of other add-ons for NDO/Ensemble are for sale/free download on
    our web site.

    As to how much better it is than 3.2 I guess is a judgement call. If
    you're showing off the word processor, spreadsheet and graphics
    capabilities then I would say there is no difference. Same goes for
    multi-tasking of apps, the setting of user levels, Motif vs Win look &
    feel, etc. Where 4.1.6 beats 3.2 is in the browser and other internet
    related stuff.

    John ;-)

    OmaNOSPAMSteak@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Is there a big advantage to using NDO2000 4.1.7 beta versus using NDO
    > 3.2? I've been asked to do a return hour long radio interview during
    > a live remote so will be "showing off" NDO on my HP 4000CT. I'd much
    > rather demonstrate Ensemble since it's still a "live" product to
    > promote breadbox.com but no retail sales makes that pointless.
    > Suggestions??? Thanks!
    > OmaSteak

  3. Re: NDO version 4.1.7

    Thanks for the comments/insights Mr. Howard. AFAIK, NDO2000 4.1.7 was
    last beta that came from NewDeal. I don't know what specific changes
    were made from 4.1.6 GlobalPC release to NDO4.1.7 other than bug
    fixes. Maybe one of the other NDO2000 beta testers could comment on
    that. I would rather focus on Ensemble than NDO2000 since it appears
    you are still actively developing it versus NDO which is "end of
    life". I'm amazed that you don't do retail on Ensemble given the huge
    reaction I've seen from 1 half hour radio appearance...and number of
    calls/emails show host has already had on upcoming live remote
    appearance/demo. The internet stuff is critical IMHO to show how an
    older PC can be made productive and fun for current use. Thanks again
    for your insights.
    OmaSteak
    On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:49:10 -0700, John Howard
    wrote:

    >Hi Oma,
    >
    >I'm not sure what 4.1.7 is but NDO2000 v4.1.6 is still for sale by
    >Breadbox. Not sure whether that makes it a 'live' product ot not. Also
    >a lot of other add-ons for NDO/Ensemble are for sale/free download on
    >our web site.
    >
    >As to how much better it is than 3.2 I guess is a judgement call. If
    >you're showing off the word processor, spreadsheet and graphics
    >capabilities then I would say there is no difference. Same goes for
    >multi-tasking of apps, the setting of user levels, Motif vs Win look &
    >feel, etc. Where 4.1.6 beats 3.2 is in the browser and other internet
    >related stuff.
    >
    >John ;-)
    >
    >OmaNOSPAMSteak@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a big advantage to using NDO2000 4.1.7 beta versus using NDO
    >> 3.2? I've been asked to do a return hour long radio interview during
    >> a live remote so will be "showing off" NDO on my HP 4000CT. I'd much
    >> rather demonstrate Ensemble since it's still a "live" product to
    >> promote breadbox.com but no retail sales makes that pointless.
    >> Suggestions??? Thanks!
    >> OmaSteak

  4. Re: NDO version 4.1.7

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 07:28:50 -0500, OmaNOSPAMSteak@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Thanks for the comments/insights Mr. Howard. AFAIK, NDO2000 4.1.7 was
    >last beta that came from NewDeal. I don't know what specific changes
    >were made from 4.1.6 GlobalPC release to NDO4.1.7 other than bug
    >fixes. Maybe one of the other NDO2000 beta testers could comment on
    >that. I would rather focus on Ensemble than NDO2000 since it appears
    >you are still actively developing it versus NDO which is "end of
    >life". I'm amazed that you don't do retail on Ensemble given the huge
    >reaction I've seen from 1 half hour radio appearance...and number of
    >calls/emails show host has already had on upcoming live remote
    >appearance/demo. The internet stuff is critical IMHO to show how an
    >older PC can be made productive and fun for current use. Thanks again
    >for your insights.

    The very last beta from NDO was 420, but not much change from the
    previous versions.

    Yes, I agree that Internet access is critical, but I would not emphase
    this too much. No offense, but 50% of all Web pages will not run with
    NDO for lack JavaScript, Macromedia etc.

    I am also experiencing some kind of bug that makes an NDO Internet
    connection less stable the more often you use it. No idea what causes
    this, but it can get to the point where Skipper will load just one
    page and as soon as you click a link, it crashes. - Not good enough!

    Holger

  5. Re: NDO version 4.1.7

    "Holger Laux" wrote in message

    > Yes, I agree that Internet access is critical, but I would not emphase
    > this too much. No offense, but 50% of all Web pages will not run with
    > NDO for lack JavaScript, Macromedia etc.

    Excellent Point.

    > I am also experiencing some kind of bug that makes an NDO Internet
    > connection less stable the more often you use it. No idea what causes
    > this, but it can get to the point where Skipper will load just one
    > page and as soon as you click a link, it crashes. - Not good enough!

    Very Enlightening!

  6. Re: NDO version 4.1.7

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:41:15 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >"Holger Laux" wrote in message
    >
    >> Yes, I agree that Internet access is critical, but I would not emphase
    >> this too much. No offense, but 50% of all Web pages will not run with
    >> NDO for lack JavaScript, Macromedia etc.

    >Excellent Point.

    That said, I have yet to find a Windows browser that can handle
    absolutely everything. Between them, IE, Netscape, Opera and Mozilla
    probably can, but if you decide to use one of them, you better have
    one or two of the others handy in case you get stuck.

    The Web once used to be so nice and simple ...

    >> I am also experiencing some kind of bug that makes an NDO Internet
    >> connection less stable the more often you use it. No idea what causes
    >> this, but it can get to the point where Skipper will load just one
    >> page and as soon as you click a link, it crashes. - Not good enough!

    >Very Enlightening!

    Oh, so I gather you have not experienced this yet? Anyone else who
    has?

    Holger

  7. Re: NDO version 4.1.7

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    holger.laux@bris.ac.uk (Holger Laux) spake unto us, saying:

    >Yes, I agree that Internet access is critical, but I would not emphase
    >this too much. No offense, but 50% of all Web pages will not run with
    >NDO for lack JavaScript, Macromedia etc.

    I think that's an overstatement. I spend much of my time during the
    day in a text-based web browser (Links 0.99) here under OS/2, and it
    doesn't support those things, but I rarely encounter problems with
    web sites.

    It obviously depends on the mix of sites that one visits. :-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

  8. Re: NDO version 4.1.7

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    holger.laux@bris.ac.uk (Holger Laux) spake unto us, saying:

    >The Web once used to be so nice and simple ...

    Yes and no. :-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    See web site above for resume/CV and background.

+ Reply to Thread