FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS - GEOS

This is a discussion on FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS - GEOS ; Hi all, I have posted this information also as an answer to Doug Taylor, but it might be interesting to a broader range of people, so I repost it under a more approriate subject line. Well, installing FreeDOS and Ensemble ...

  1. FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    Hi all,

    I have posted this information also as an answer to Doug Taylor, but it
    might be interesting to a broader range of people, so I repost it under
    a more approriate subject line.

    Well, installing FreeDOS and Ensemble is not easy, I will give you my
    experiences below and hopefully from that you can make your own
    FreeDOS/Ensemble combo. I have an idea of making a FreeDOS bootdisk from
    which you can set up a system from scratch, for the moment that does not
    seems possible. If you have any comments or corrections, please post it
    here!

    First I downloaded the latest version on FreeDOS, which was Beta9,
    prerelease 5 and created a bootdisk. Then I booted my PC with that
    bootdisk, and tried to create a partition, which failed, as the Fdisk
    tool from FreeDOS did not recognize my disk. Used Windows 98 SE Fdisk to
    partitioning the disk with a FAT32 partition and it went well. Formatted
    the disk with FreeDOS Format, which recognized the FAT32 format and
    added the system files with the /S -switch. Rebooted the system, but it
    did not appear stable. Removed the partition and created a new FAT 16
    partition with my PCDOS 7 and formatted with PCDOS 7s Format. Booted
    the FreeDOS system and added the system to the hard disk with the SYS
    command on the diskette. Now the system appeared stable.

    Configured the system and added the drivers for CD-ROM from the disk.
    Tried to install BBX Ensemble 4.01, but no go. Ran into new problems.
    After investigations, it appeared to be several problems at the same
    time. First, the CD-ROM support in FreeDOS does not seems to be stable,
    ATAPICDD.SYS and SHSUCDX.EXE. Going back to my old Mitsumi driver solved
    that problem, and then secondly it seems that Sun2000 have made an
    installation script that smells MS-Windows to me? It asks for the
    COMSPEC parameters in the form of %COMSPEC% and I get out of memory
    errors, dos critical error, script errors, when I tried to install.
    Tried my NDO2000beta and it did install without any problem, and so did
    also my NDO2000 diskette copy.
    Solved this problem, by making an Ensemble installation on my Windows
    computer and burned it to a CD-ROM, and then copied into my FreeDOS
    computer. Then I added DOS ODI network support and configured BBX
    Ensemble for TCP/IP networkning. Now it is up and running!

    Next I will present my config.sys and autoexec.bat in FreeDOS, together
    with the necessary changes to GEOS.INI

    config.sys:
    FILES=120
    BUFFERS=20
    LASTDRIVE=Z
    SWITCHES=/F /N
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICE=C:\DRIVER\HIMEM.EXE
    DEVICE=C:\DRIVER\UMBPCI.SYS
    SHELLHIGH=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:1024 /F /MSG /K C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVER\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:CD01

    autoexec.bat:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
    PATH=C:\;C:\FREEDOS;C:\DRIVER;C:\ENSEMBLE
    C:\DRIVER\CTMOUSE
    LH C:\DRIVER\LSL
    LH C:\DRIVER\DM9PCI
    LH C:\DRIVER\SHSUCDX /D:CD01
    C:\ENSEMBLE\ENSEMBLE.BAT

    Necessary changes to GEOS.INI:
    [system]
    fs = ntfat.geo
    PrimaryFSD = ntfat.geo

    The EMM386.EXE in FreeDOS is not compatible with ENSEMBLE/GEOS, as a
    substitute I use the UMBPCI from: http://www.uwe-sieber.de. This is not
    a EMS driver, it is more of a UMB-loader which loads drivers inte upper
    memory blocks, but still very useful in this configuration.

    BR,
    Hans

  2. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    Hi folks,

    well as you can see from the headers this is written under NewDeal :-).

    Anyway, I'm just testing the freedos diskette from Hans and it works *smooth*.
    Imagine, it is only 400k used on the floppy :-) and it has checkdisk and
    fdisk and edit etc etc... cd-driver etc... very nice. and runs faaast.

    Way to go. A few tweaks and a automatized partitioning and voila, no more
    need for dos :-) or anything on a new/old pc.

    Dom

  3. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    Dominique Vocat wrote in message news:...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > well as you can see from the headers this is written under NewDeal :-).
    >
    > Anyway, I'm just testing the freedos diskette from Hans and it works *smooth*.
    > Imagine, it is only 400k used on the floppy :-) and it has checkdisk and
    > fdisk and edit etc etc... cd-driver etc... very nice. and runs faaast.
    >
    > Way to go. A few tweaks and a automatized partitioning and voila, no more
    > need for dos :-) or anything on a new/old pc.
    >
    > Dom

    Dom Dom Dom, when I see your old enthusiasm sparkle up again, my hands
    start to get nervous, too... don't want to become an GeoAddict again,
    sigh... "no no no MeyerK, take your hands off that SDK CD, do yourself
    a favor..." :-)))

    Bye,
    MeyerK

  4. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    Come on Konstantin,

    Let yourself go! Don't fight it.
    You have at least 1 fan! I'd bet I'm not alone.

    Edward

    "MeyerK" schreef in bericht
    news:d86a5dc.0405280010.31a89265@posting.google.co m...

    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > well as you can see from the headers this is written under NewDeal :-).
    > >
    > > Anyway, I'm just testing the freedos diskette from Hans and it works

    *smooth*.
    > > Imagine, it is only 400k used on the floppy :-) and it has checkdisk and
    > > fdisk and edit etc etc... cd-driver etc... very nice. and runs faaast.
    > >
    > > Way to go. A few tweaks and a automatized partitioning and voila, no

    more
    > > need for dos :-) or anything on a new/old pc.
    > >
    > > Dom

    > Dom Dom Dom, when I see your old enthusiasm sparkle up again, my hands
    > start to get nervous, too... don't want to become an GeoAddict again,
    > sigh... "no no no MeyerK, take your hands off that SDK CD, do yourself
    > a favor..." :-)))
    >
    > Bye,
    > MeyerK

  5. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    Edward Nijs wrote:

    > Come on Konstantin,
    >
    > Let yourself go! Don't fight it.
    > You have at least 1 fan! I'd bet I'm not alone.
    >
    > Edward

    no need to dig out the SDK (then again a newbasic component wrapping up
    the creation of a arbitraryly sized bitmap and drawing to it and passing
    it's content to a gadget component would be great :-) so I could redo
    "fighter" with doubble buffered smooth graphics :-) ) but please all do
    test the newdos diskette. There is much potential in it and Hans is a
    very solid maintainer so get the suggestions rolling!

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  6. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    Ok, I can be wrong but maybe someone else can verify it...

    in order to get it to run with opendos it must have fs=ntfat and
    primaryfsd=ntfat in the geos.ini

    now I seem to have the problem that when I use the fileselector in
    newbasic I always get a kr-09 when I access the property .path

    can anyone reproduce this? (there is a sample with newbasic builder in
    called filesel.bas)

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  7. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    Hi Dom,

    Check to see if there are any settings in NET.CFG you have to set
    for the NIC. Something that would have any impact on the current
    mode of the NIC.

    It is just a hip shot, I don't know anything specific, other than that
    I recall on 3com cards that there was a pipeline mode needed to
    be set, otherwise there was no go for GEOS ;-)

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-06-12 22:45, Dominique Vocat wrote:

    >Ok, I can be wrong but maybe someone else can verify it...
    >
    >in order to get it to run with opendos it must have fs=ntfat and
    >primaryfsd=ntfat in the geos.ini
    >
    >now I seem to have the problem that when I use the fileselector in
    >newbasic I always get a kr-09 when I access the property .path
    >
    >can anyone reproduce this? (there is a sample with newbasic builder in
    >called filesel.bas)
    >
    >Dom

  8. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:45:33 +0200, Dominique Vocat
    wrote:

    Hi Dom

    >can anyone reproduce this? (there is a sample with newbasic builder in
    >called filesel.bas)

    Send me the file and I'll see if it also crash here.

    Thomas

  9. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    Thomas L. Christensen wrote:
    > Send me the file and I'll see if it also crash here.

    in your documents folder see in NewBASIC\src\Tests\filesel.bas

    anyway... I think I just build my own filebrowse dialog. Maybe I build
    it as a .bc module so everyone can use it? It's more comfortable anyway
    for I would like to show the tokens of the file etc... :-)

    erm, the issue with the fileselector seems to bethe good old issue I
    cannot remember how I worked arround it anyhow so... ah well...

    > Thomas

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  10. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:10:37 +0200, Dominique Vocat
    wrote:

    >Thomas L. Christensen wrote:
    >> Send me the file and I'll see if it also crash here.

    >in your documents folder see in NewBASIC\src\Tests\filesel.bas

    I don't have a file with that name. I have one named fileslct.bas -
    could it be the one?

  11. Re: FreeDOS and Breadbox Ensemble/GEOS

    Thomas L. Christensen wrote:
    > I don't have a file with that name. I have one named fileslct.bas -
    > could it be the one?

    erm, yes :-)
    --
    C:\>