Networking in Geos - GEOS

This is a discussion on Networking in Geos - GEOS ; Hello, I recently had the opportunity to do a guest segment on a local radio talkshow to talk about making old PCs useful. I took along my old 486 DX4/100 HP notebook that runs IBM PC DOS and NDO2000 (last ...

  1. Networking in Geos

    Hello,
    I recently had the opportunity to do a guest segment on a local radio
    talkshow to talk about making old PCs useful. I took along my old 486
    DX4/100 HP notebook that runs IBM PC DOS and NDO2000 (last beta). The
    host was blown away by look, feel and operation of the "obsolete" PC.
    I made sure to make reference to Breadbox.com and this newsgroup
    several times during the interview. I was surprised at the number of
    calls we got during the 30 minute segment from folks that have old and
    unused working PCs that could easily be made useful again running
    DOS/Geos combo. I do have questions after reviewing the FAQ's and NDO
    help files on networking Geos using Ethernet and broadband Internet
    connection. Can someone post a link to any documentation on
    networking Geos...hardware supported, TCP/IP protocol, etc. Thanks!
    OmaSteak

  2. Re: Networking in Geos

    OmaNOSPAMSteak@hotmail.com schrieb:

    > I do have questions after reviewing the FAQ's and NDO
    > help files on networking Geos using Ethernet and broadband Internet
    > connection. Can someone post a link to any documentation on
    > networking Geos...hardware supported, TCP/IP protocol, etc. Thanks!

    The main problem is that GEOS does not have an ethernet stack itself
    (don't confuse it with the IP or TCP stack, which GEOS has). The
    ethernet stack is hardware dependent and part of the networking software
    (more or less it is the network card driver).
    If you have a network card that comes with an ODI driver (for DOS), you
    can set up a DOS network using this driver and GEOS can access the
    network card through this ODI driver (using the etherodi.geo driver).

    Providing drivers for every possible network card so you don't need the
    card manufacturers ODI driver is an impossible task.

    I have seen some references to a networkign bootdisk in the recent past.
    Maybe this bootdisk contains all that's necessary for an ethernet
    connection under GEOS.

    Anyway, GEOS cannot operate a DSL or cable modem directly. The drivers
    are complex. But if the local network is connected with the DSL or cable
    modem through a router (either a separate router or a router software on
    a windows computer), there is no problem surfing the internet through a
    LAN isntead of a modem.

    Accessing the windows network layer if running in a windows DOS box
    should be possible, but someone has to write the driver first.

    But fo rmy own part, internet access from within GEOS isn't something I
    would waste any effort on (including the browser and whatever).
    Everything that could be written in near future would be (in features
    and compatibility) lightyears behind Linux and Windows. Improving the
    sections where direct compatibility with the outside world isn't
    necessary (such as adding features or fixing age-old bugs in the main
    applications) would do GEOS better than another bowser that will do 90%
    of all internet pages, but not the one you want to visit - and even less
    in near future when the 'standards' shift again.

    Stable new/geoFile with higher capacity, working CSV import/export
    (field names), a really working RTF import/export, adding import data
    into existing documents (you can do so as workaround using the clipboard
    for write/draw/calc but not for file or dex) ... these are the things I
    consider more important than internet access. But well, that's just my
    opinion.

    Grossibaer

  3. Re: Networking in Geos

    You can try the website "geodb.org" where I have placed a small documentation
    about this topic.

    Greetings Andreas

    PS: I use GEOS for this Newsgroup and that work very well.

    OmaNOSPAMSteak wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I recently had the opportunity to do a guest segment on a local radio
    > talkshow to talk about making old PCs useful. I took along my old 486
    > DX4/100 HP notebook that runs IBM PC DOS and NDO2000 (last beta). The
    > host was blown away by look, feel and operation of the "obsolete" PC.
    > I made sure to make reference to Breadbox.com and this newsgroup
    > several times during the interview. I was surprised at the number of
    > calls we got during the 30 minute segment from folks that have old and
    > unused working PCs that could easily be made useful again running
    > DOS/Geos combo. I do have questions after reviewing the FAQ's and NDO
    > help files on networking Geos using Ethernet and broadband Internet
    > connection. Can someone post a link to any documentation on
    > networking Geos...hardware supported, TCP/IP protocol, etc. Thanks!
    > OmaSteak

+ Reply to Thread