OT: System sound files in Windows 98 SE - GEOS

This is a discussion on OT: System sound files in Windows 98 SE - GEOS ; Hi, Is there anybody here who have a clue what system files in Windows 98 SE that will affect sound? The scenario is that I can play any sound or videofile (mp3, wav, avi mpeg) in any third-party app, like ...

  1. OT: System sound files in Windows 98 SE

    Hi,

    Is there anybody here who have a clue what system files in Windows 98 SE
    that will affect sound? The scenario is that I can play any sound or
    videofile (mp3, wav, avi mpeg) in any third-party app, like for example
    Winamp 5, but not in softwares that is depending on the Windows system
    like Windows Media Player 9.0b. When I play a file in WMP9.0b it plays
    choppy, or toggle sound/video playing, like a severe scratch in a vinyl
    record on a grammophone in the old vinyl days. The same file plays just
    fine in Winamp 5.

    I have succeeded to partially repair my system by replacing a number of
    exes and dlls with the originals, like: mscvrt.dll, mscvirt.dll, and
    mmsystem.dll.

    I have spent many hours seeking information about this problem. I have
    not found any useful help yet. A reinstall will not help, as I have
    tried it two times. Probably I will have to blow the whole disk, but I
    am reluctant to do it as the disk contains almost as much data as
    Windows 98 SE. We talk 35gigs of data of an 80 gig disk.

    The problem have occured when reinstalling softwares in Windows 98 SE.
    It seems that these software have identified Windows 98 SE wrongly as
    another version of Windows. I have spotted the Norton AV to replace two
    files (mscvrt.dll, mscvirt.dll) with the wrong version ( NT4). This
    might also occur with other softwares.

    Any clue?

    BR,
    Hans

  2. Re: OT: System sound files in Windows 98 SE

    Hans Lindgren schrieb:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there anybody here who have a clue what system files in Windows 98 SE
    > that will affect sound? The scenario is that I can play any sound or
    > videofile (mp3, wav, avi mpeg) in any third-party app, like for example
    > Winamp 5, but not in softwares that is depending on the Windows system
    > like Windows Media Player 9.0b. When I play a file in WMP9.0b it plays
    > choppy, or toggle sound/video playing, like a severe scratch in a vinyl
    > record on a grammophone in the old vinyl days. The same file plays just
    > fine in Winamp 5.

    There are a wide variety of ways to produce sound in Windoze.

    Some applications use DirectSound (part of DirectX), some use the sound
    driver directly (part of the soundcard driver), some go through the
    wndows sound device and the windows sound mapper. And few directly
    access the sound hardware.

    A reinstalation of the drivers doen not always help since there are many
    configurations stored in the registry which are not switched back to
    installation value. (this is why the registry constantly grows even if
    you deinstall things).

    Installing DirectX anew might help. Or the sound card driver (delete it
    from the system configuration) and then reinstall DirectX.

    Or maybe the multimedia properties in the system configuration mey give
    you a hint.

    I have a similar problem: my sound goes choppy after time (mostly if I
    played a game with many sound effects). When I leave the game, it
    sometimes recovers, sometimes I have to reboot.
    It also happens after I started and shut down NDO2000 once. Next start I
    get echoes. But not if I started it and then killed it from within the
    windows task manager. Strange things happen if Windows is involved. I
    never found a fix in the last 4 years.

    Grossibaer

+ Reply to Thread