Read geoworks files with windows - GEOS

This is a discussion on Read geoworks files with windows - GEOS ; Hello, is it possible to read or convert geoworks files to be read with Windows ? Thanks...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Read geoworks files with windows

    Hello,
    is it possible to read or convert geoworks files to be read with Windows ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Yes it is. All of the desktop versions (Geoworks Ensemble, NewDeal
    Office, and Breadbox Ensemble) have varying capabilities to export their
    files (word processing, spreadsheet & database) to other formats which
    can be read by Windows and Mac PCs.

    Do you have a specific file type and Geos version in mind?

    John ;-)

    PhilK wrote:
    > Hello,
    > is it possible to read or convert geoworks files to be read with Windows ?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Hello John,
    i don't have anymore geoworks but only these files.
    So i want to read theses files ".000" from windows.

    regards

    ?

    > > Thanks

  4. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    To read those files you need some version of Geos (Geosworks Ensemble,
    NewDeal Office or Breadbox Ensemble).

    At www.breadbox.com you can download our Ensemble Lite. This sample of
    Ensemble does include the word processor so you could read those .000
    files that are word processor files.

    John ;-)

    PhilK wrote:

    > Hello John,
    > i don't have anymore geoworks but only these files.
    > So i want to read theses files ".000" from windows.
    >
    > regards
    >

    > "John Howard" a écrit dans le message de
    >
    >>Yes it is. All of the desktop versions (Geoworks Ensemble, NewDeal
    >>Office, and Breadbox Ensemble) have varying capabilities to export their
    >>files (word processing, spreadsheet & database) to other formats which
    >>can be read by Windows and Mac PCs.
    >>
    >>Do you have a specific file type and Geos version in mind?
    >>
    >>John ;-)
    >>
    >>PhilK wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>is it possible to read or convert geoworks files to be read with Windows

    > ?
    >
    >>>Thanks

  5. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    John Howard wrote:
    > To read those files you need some version of Geos (Geosworks Ensemble,
    > NewDeal Office or Breadbox Ensemble).
    >
    > At www.breadbox.com you can download our Ensemble Lite. This sample of
    > Ensemble does include the word processor so you could read those .000
    > files that are word processor files.
    >
    > John ;-)

    Uh, I must have missed this "ensemble lite" downloaded it and it's
    sweet! Includes Writer and WebMagik3! Ok, granted it gave me a kr-07
    after one page down and page up on the included html file in documents
    :-) but still sweet. Now if the download would have been built either as
    a windows installable package or (even better) in a thgree 1,44mb disk
    version I would have loved it even more... I mean the target audience
    often lacks CD-ROM or fast internet connection so...

    BTW. does it now run on freedos?

  6. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    PhilK schrieb:

    > Hello,
    > is it possible to read or convert geoworks files to be read with Windows ?

    There are three ways:

    1) open them in their native application and export them to a format of
    your liking.

    2) open them in their native application and print them into a
    PostScript file which you can then convert to a PDF file if you want.
    This gives the best result if you just want to view/show them under
    Windows.
    This should work even with one of the shareware/demo versions of GEOS.

    3) The Windows program WordPort can with some limitations convert
    geoWrite/Writer files into many other formats.

    The '.000' does not indicate any special file format. It indicates that
    it is a file for one of the many GEOS applications. What kind of file
    (image, text, spreadsheet, whatever) it is, can be only determined from
    within GEOS (or with an HEX editor and some inner knowledge of the GEOS
    filesystem)

    Of course you can ask someone who still has GEOS to do the conversion
    for you.

    Grossibaer

  7. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    I have not yet been able to run Ensemble on FreeDOS :-(

    John ;-)

    Dominique Vocat wrote:
    [snip]

    > BTW. does it now run on freedos?

  8. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    I have run Ensemble on FreeDOS, and with the right config it runs very well........you
    need to use the NTFAT file system dirver if I recall correctly and config
    it as it is running under Windows NT,

    BR,
    Hans

    John Howard wrote:
    > I have not yet been able to run Ensemble on FreeDOS :-(
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > Dominique Vocat wrote:
    > [snip]
    >

    > > BTW. does it now run on freedos?

  9. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Hans Lindgren wrote:

    > I have run Ensemble on FreeDOS, and with the right config it runs very well........you
    > need to use the NTFAT file system dirver if I recall correctly and config
    > it as it is running under Windows NT,
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans

    Would you be kind enough to write up the needed changes? Maybe Breadbox
    could come up with a included freedos setup all-in-one :-) I for one
    would *love* such a thing! Especially a freedos plus ensemble light
    package -> entry drug :-).

    Dom

  10. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Hi Hans,

    Any info you can give as to the setup, configuration and version of
    FreeDOS would be very much appreciated. I've tried about once every six
    months or so (with the latest FD versions) and my problems have been
    with the FreeDOS versions of EMM386 and himem (or their equivalents).
    On some of my earlier trials I had problems with the FreeDOS versions of
    mscdex and getting them to work with a generic CD-ROM driver, but I
    think I got that one resolved.

    Of course Ensemble doesn't need the whole range of FreeDOS stuff, so
    just enough to get Ensemble running and able to access the drives would
    be very nice.

    John ;-)

    Hans Lindgren wrote:

    > I have run Ensemble on FreeDOS, and with the right config it runs very well........you
    > need to use the NTFAT file system dirver if I recall correctly and config
    > it as it is running under Windows NT,
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans
    >
    > John Howard wrote:
    >
    >>I have not yet been able to run Ensemble on FreeDOS :-(
    >>
    >>John ;-)
    >>
    >>Dominique Vocat wrote:
    >>[snip]
    >>

    >>>BTW. does it now run on freedos?

  11. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    John Howard wrote:

    > Of course Ensemble doesn't need the whole range of FreeDOS stuff, so
    > just enough to get Ensemble running and able to access the drives would
    > be very nice.
    >
    > John ;-)

    Ahh, the smell of BreadboxOS :-) a fresh backed standalone Operating
    System.... well, I'd love to see that...

    Hm, in case the fdisk is somewhat scriptable or sufficiently similar to
    the unix tools it should be easy enough to perform the initial stuff
    like partitioning etc... (I do similar stuff on the job :-) I'm hired
    for our unattended XP installation... sysprep, PXE preboot scirpts linux
    stuff etc etc... nice enough job if there is no sassere and similar
    nastinesses arround :-) ).

    Dom

  12. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Hans has come through nicely for us!!!

    With some help from Hans I now have a FreeDOS boot floppy and can run
    Ensemble on it. And it runs faster than when running on Win98! For
    example, I timed the loading of the GeoCosmos sky view in Ensemble under
    W98 and FreeDOS on my old P266 laptop...
    Ensemble on Win98 - 25 seconds
    Ensemble on FreeDOS - 12 seconds

    Thanks Hans!!!!!!!!!!

    John ;-)

    John Howard wrote:

    > Hi Hans,
    >
    > Any info you can give as to the setup, configuration and version of
    > FreeDOS would be very much appreciated. I've tried about once every six
    > months or so (with the latest FD versions) and my problems have been
    > with the FreeDOS versions of EMM386 and himem (or their equivalents). On
    > some of my earlier trials I had problems with the FreeDOS versions of
    > mscdex and getting them to work with a generic CD-ROM driver, but I
    > think I got that one resolved.
    >
    > Of course Ensemble doesn't need the whole range of FreeDOS stuff, so
    > just enough to get Ensemble running and able to access the drives would
    > be very nice.
    >
    > John ;-)
    >
    > Hans Lindgren wrote:
    >
    >> I have run Ensemble on FreeDOS, and with the right config it runs very
    >> well........you need to use the NTFAT file system dirver if I recall
    >> correctly and config it as it is running under Windows NT,
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Hans
    >>
    >> John Howard wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have not yet been able to run Ensemble on FreeDOS :-(
    >>>
    >>> John ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Dominique Vocat wrote:
    >>> [snip]

  13. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Very cool! Thanks Hans!

    Ahh -- The need for speed... :-)

    Ray

  14. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    John Howard wrote:

    > Hans has come through nicely for us!!!
    >
    > With some help from Hans I now have a FreeDOS boot floppy and can run
    > Ensemble on it. And it runs faster than when running on Win98! For
    > example, I timed the loading of the GeoCosmos sky view in Ensemble under
    > W98 and FreeDOS on my old P266 laptop...
    > Ensemble on Win98 - 25 seconds
    > Ensemble on FreeDOS - 12 seconds
    >
    > Thanks Hans!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > John ;-)

    How is memory performance with Skipper etc? I'd love to hear of
    improvements... :-)

    How about a 4 diskette setup of ensemble light with freedos which can
    partition the disk automaticaly? (I might be able to help :-) ).

    btw: ensemble light is great but the target computers can't read a 5 mb
    file :-) how about splitting it like in the good old days of floppy
    installation? Doesn't matter for someone installing from hdd anyway...

    oh and how about using GRUB for bootmenu (graphic!), parallel boot into
    newdeal based on freedos etc?

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  15. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Dominique Vocat schrieb:

    > How about a 4 diskette setup of ensemble light with freedos which can
    > partition the disk automaticaly? (I might be able to help :-) ).
    >
    > btw: ensemble light is great but the target computers can't read a 5 mb
    > file :-) how about splitting it like in the good old days of floppy
    > installation? Doesn't matter for someone installing from hdd anyway...
    >
    > oh and how about using GRUB for bootmenu (graphic!), parallel boot into
    > newdeal based on freedos etc?

    what about a bootable CD which installs a ram-disk with BBE and links
    (if present) the usual folders (document/privdata/userdata, 2nd GEOS.INI
    etc.) to the HD and/or disk? An out-of-the-CD-drive system for
    demonstration purposes or flexible usage on different systems. Would
    require a little hardware detection to select the proper INI entries for
    the current system, but definitely a nice and useful thing.

    Grossibaer

  16. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    yeah, good idea... but you forgot about the cereal boxes!

    microsoft monopolizes the bolted inside the box hard drive in just about
    every pc, but no comapny monoplizes the other bootable drives like
    cdrom, usb hard drives, usb thumb drives, floppy drives, zip + ls-120
    drives. etc etc etc..

    it would be great if everyone could have there own personal drive
    preloaded with a complete ultra low cost or possible free dos/geos
    system that would boot on most any pc.. then there would be no need to
    share one person's personal drive with another person..

    Jens-Michael Gross wrote:
    > Dominique Vocat schrieb:
    >

    >>How about a 4 diskette setup of ensemble light with freedos which can
    >>partition the disk automaticaly? (I might be able to help :-) ).
    >>
    >>btw: ensemble light is great but the target computers can't read a 5 mb
    >>file :-) how about splitting it like in the good old days of floppy
    >>installation? Doesn't matter for someone installing from hdd anyway...
    >>
    >>oh and how about using GRUB for bootmenu (graphic!), parallel boot into
    >>newdeal based on freedos etc?

    > what about a bootable CD which installs a ram-disk with BBE and links
    > (if present) the usual folders (document/privdata/userdata, 2nd GEOS.INI
    > etc.) to the HD and/or disk? An out-of-the-CD-drive system for
    > demonstration purposes or flexible usage on different systems. Would
    > require a little hardware detection to select the proper INI entries for
    > the current system, but definitely a nice and useful thing.
    >
    > Grossibaer

  17. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    hyubso wrote:
    > yeah, good idea... but you forgot about the cereal boxes!

    :-) glad to see you stick to your ideas ;-).

    Anyway. Yes that with the Bootable CD was of course the idea behind the
    freedos thing etc... I think some rudimentary HW detecion is feasable
    even though almost unnecessary if you simply rely on stadart vesa
    resulutions. Provide the result as .iso file for anyone interested and
    it will spread automatically. Youcould even go as far as to just provide
    the .torrent link and the downloads don't even cost you a wooden nickle.

    I wonder however about the ensemble light. Is it totaly free? I have not
    seen any strings attached. If so, would you at Breadbox consider
    including NewBasic? so anyone with some tallend and interest would feel
    enticed and one would risk having more apps and games at the end of the day.

    Just an idea. Willing to help :-)
    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  18. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Hi John,

    You are welcome! Did you manage to get the EMS-driver to function, or
    did you listen to my advice and skipped it? Maybe it can be used with
    the NOEMS switch?

    Dom hinted me about using the UMBPCI, which is at least something, and
    here is the link to it: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/umbpci_e.html

    Well, this does not fully compensates as Ensemble can use some EMS
    memory to add to the existing base
    memory............arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh

    BTW, is there anybody in this group who can take a look at the source in
    the FreeDOS EMM386.EXE to see what is wrong? I have contacted the
    author, Tom Ehler, but he claims it is an error in Ensemble, and
    encouraged me to contact Breadbox, but I doubt that the error is in
    Ensemble, as Ensemble works with every EMS manager I have tested except
    the FreeDOS one.

    The error shows like this: when the EMS-driver is loaded in the
    CONFIG.SYS, Ensemble loads and the destop shows, but it does not take
    any keyboard or mouse input, it have hung or freezed or stopped.

    Ensemble works with
    PC DOS EMM386.EXE
    MS DOS EMM386.EXE
    DR DOS EMM386.EXE (includes OpenDOS etc)
    ROMDOS EMM386.EXE
    QEMM (stealthmode off)
    386 MAX

    Ensemble do NOT work with:
    FreeDOS EMM386.EXE

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-05-18 01:19, John Howard wrote:

    >Hans has come through nicely for us!!!
    >
    >With some help from Hans I now have a FreeDOS boot floppy and can run
    >Ensemble on it. And it runs faster than when running on Win98! For
    >example, I timed the loading of the GeoCosmos sky view in Ensemble under
    >W98 and FreeDOS on my old P266 laptop...
    > Ensemble on Win98 - 25 seconds
    > Ensemble on FreeDOS - 12 seconds
    >
    >Thanks Hans!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    >John ;-)
    >

    >John Howard wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Hans,
    >>
    >>Any info you can give as to the setup, configuration and version of
    >>FreeDOS would be very much appreciated. I've tried about once every six
    >>months or so (with the latest FD versions) and my problems have been
    >>with the FreeDOS versions of EMM386 and himem (or their equivalents). On
    >>some of my earlier trials I had problems with the FreeDOS versions of
    >>mscdex and getting them to work with a generic CD-ROM driver, but I
    >>think I got that one resolved.
    >>
    >>Of course Ensemble doesn't need the whole range of FreeDOS stuff, so
    >>just enough to get Ensemble running and able to access the drives would
    >>be very nice.
    >>
    >>John ;-)
    >>
    >>Hans Lindgren wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have run Ensemble on FreeDOS, and with the right config it runs very
    >>>well........you need to use the NTFAT file system dirver if I recall
    >>>correctly and config it as it is running under Windows NT,
    >>>
    >>>BR,
    >>>Hans

  19. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    In article <10aii4cfjde612d@corp.supernews.com>,
    John Howard wrote:
    >Hans has come through nicely for us!!!
    >
    >With some help from Hans I now have a FreeDOS boot floppy and can run
    >Ensemble on it. And it runs faster than when running on Win98! For
    >example, I timed the loading of the GeoCosmos sky view in Ensemble under
    >W98 and FreeDOS on my old P266 laptop...
    > Ensemble on Win98 - 25 seconds
    > Ensemble on FreeDOS - 12 seconds

    Sooo . . . what's your config.sys and autoexec.bat look like?

    Doug

  20. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Dominique Vocat schrieb:

    > Youcould even go as far as to just provide
    > the .torrent link and the downloads don't even cost you a wooden nickle.

    Well, what do I do with these .torrent files?
    I found a source packed with them, but what to do next? Any idea? Do I
    need an unpacking program or what?

    Grossibaer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast