Read geoworks files with windows - GEOS

This is a discussion on Read geoworks files with windows - GEOS ; Jens-Michael Gross wrote: > Dominique Vocat schrieb: > Well, what do I do with these .torrent files? > I found a source packed with them, but what to do next? Any idea? Do I > need an unpacking program or ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Jens-Michael Gross wrote:

    > Dominique Vocat schrieb:
    > Well, what do I do with these .torrent files?
    > I found a source packed with them, but what to do next? Any idea? Do I
    > need an unpacking program or what?
    >
    > Grossibaer

    Well, not much. If you have windows and ie you can just download it and
    then using the .torrent file your BitTorrent client will handle all the
    download etc (unless you are behind a firewall!). If you think of
    publishing something you can report the .torrent to one of the trackers
    (website with list of .torrent files) it is similar to ed2k links etc as
    it essentially contains hashes for files and BitTorrent is just a
    protocol like ftp or http but meant for distributet and load balanced
    downloading.

    Use google to get the big picture. I kind of suspect that the handling
    is not *that* dificult and could also be implemented in GEOS :-).

    It is important to understand that although it is remarkably similar to
    kazaa or emule it is not intended for distribution of illegal copies.
    RedHat for instance provides it's Version 9 via .torrent because that
    way it doesn't cost them a nickle to distribute it whereas they pay for
    their ftp downloaders. Plus there is no 1-week wait qeue as there is for
    ftp downloads :-).

    Dom
    --
    C:\>

  2. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 09:16:29 GMT, Hans Lindgren
    wrote:

    === SNIP ===

    >QEMM (stealthmode off)

    ....AND with stealtmode on (ST:M). I use this line on my IBM Thinkpad
    365 (with MS-DOS 6.22 and QEMM 7.04)

    C:\QEMM\QEMM386.SYS ST:M RAM ARAM=C000-C3FF FR=C400 R:1

    I am sure I have also used ST:F, maybe it was on my IBM PS/2 P70 - I
    can check it out if anyone is interested.

    /Thomas

  3. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Hi Doug,

    Well, installing FreeDOS and Ensemble is not easy, I will give you my
    experiences below and hopefully from that you can make your own
    FreeDOS/Ensemble combo. I have an idea of making a FreeDOS bootdisk from
    which you can set up a system from scratch, for the moment that does not
    seems possible. If you have any comments or corrections, please post it
    here!

    First I downloaded the latest version on FreeDOS, which was Beta9,
    prerelease 5 and created a bootdisk. Then I booted my PC with that
    bootdisk, and tried to create a partition, which failed, as the Fdisk
    tool from FreeDOS did not recognize my disk. Used Windows 98 SE Fdisk to
    partitioning the disk with a FAT32 partition and it went well. Formatted
    the disk with FreeDOS Format, which recognized the FAT32 format and
    added the system files with the /S -switch. Rebooted the system, but it
    did not appear stable. Removed the partition and created a new FAT 16
    partition with my PCDOS 7 and formatted with PCDOS 7s Format. Booted
    the FreeDOS system and added the system to the hard disk with the SYS
    command on the diskette. Now the system appeared stable.

    Configured the system and added the drivers for CD-ROM from the disk.
    Tried to install BBX Ensemble 4.01, but no go. Ran into new problems.
    After investigations, it appeared to be several problems at the same
    time. First, the CD-ROM support in FreeDOS does not seems to be stable,
    ATAPICDD.SYS and SHSUCDX.EXE. Going back to my old Mitsumi driver solved
    that problem, and then secondly it seems that Sun2000 have made an
    installation script that smells MS-Windows to me? It asks for the
    COMSPEC parameters in the form of %COMSPEC% and I get out of memory
    errors, dos critical error, script errors, when I tried to install.
    Tried my NDO2000beta and it did install without any problem, and so did
    also my NDO2000 diskette copy.
    Solved this problem, by making an Ensemble installation on my Windows
    computer and burned it to a CD-ROM, and then copied into my FreeDOS
    computer. Then I added DOS ODI network support and configured BBX
    Ensemble for TCP/IP networkning. Now it is up and running!

    Next I will present my config.sys and autoexec.bat in FreeDOS, to gether
    with the necessary changes to GEOS.INI

    config.sys:
    FILES=120
    BUFFERS=20
    LASTDRIVE=Z
    SWITCHES=/F /N
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICE=C:\DRIVER\HIMEM.EXE
    DEVICE=C:\DRIVER\UMBPCI.SYS
    SHELLHIGH=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:1024 /F /MSG /K C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVER\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:CD01

    autoexec.bat:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
    PATH=C:\;C:\FREEDOS;C:\DRIVER;C:\ENSEMBLE
    C:\DRIVER\CTMOUSE
    LH C:\DRIVER\LSL
    LH C:\DRIVER\DM9PCI
    LH C:\DRIVER\SHSUCDX /D:CD01
    C:\ENSEMBLE\ENSEMBLE.BAT

    Necessary changes to GEOS.INI:
    [system]
    fs = ntfat.geo
    PrimaryFSD = ntfat.geo

    The EMM386.EXE in FreeDOS is not compatible with ENSEMBLE/GEOS, as a
    substitute I use the UMBPCI from: http://www.uwe-sieber.de. This is not
    a EMS driver, it is more of a UMB-loader which loads drivers inte upper
    memory blocks, but still very useful in this configuration.

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-05-21 15:45, Douglas A. Taylor wrote:

    >In article <10aii4cfjde612d@corp.supernews.com>,
    >John Howard wrote:
    >

    >>Hans has come through nicely for us!!!
    >>
    >>With some help from Hans I now have a FreeDOS boot floppy and can run
    >>Ensemble on it. And it runs faster than when running on Win98! For
    >>example, I timed the loading of the GeoCosmos sky view in Ensemble under
    >>W98 and FreeDOS on my old P266 laptop...
    >> Ensemble on Win98 - 25 seconds
    >> Ensemble on FreeDOS - 12 seconds
    >>

    >Sooo . . . what's your config.sys and autoexec.bat look like?
    >
    >Doug

  4. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Hans Lindgren wrote:

    > Hi John,
    >
    > You are welcome! Did you manage to get the EMS-driver to function, or
    > did you listen to my advice and skipped it? Maybe it can be used with
    > the NOEMS switch?

    I have not gotten it to work with the EMS driver. At all. so I left it
    out and Ensemble runs fine :-)

    John ;-)

    > Dom hinted me about using the UMBPCI, which is at least something, and
    > here is the link to it: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/umbpci_e.html
    >
    > Well, this does not fully compensates as Ensemble can use some EMS
    > memory to add to the existing base
    > memory............arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh
    >
    > BTW, is there anybody in this group who can take a look at the source in
    > the FreeDOS EMM386.EXE to see what is wrong? I have contacted the
    > author, Tom Ehler, but he claims it is an error in Ensemble, and
    > encouraged me to contact Breadbox, but I doubt that the error is in
    > Ensemble, as Ensemble works with every EMS manager I have tested except
    > the FreeDOS one.
    >
    > The error shows like this: when the EMS-driver is loaded in the
    > CONFIG.SYS, Ensemble loads and the destop shows, but it does not take
    > any keyboard or mouse input, it have hung or freezed or stopped.
    >
    > Ensemble works with
    > PC DOS EMM386.EXE
    > MS DOS EMM386.EXE
    > DR DOS EMM386.EXE (includes OpenDOS etc)
    > ROMDOS EMM386.EXE
    > QEMM (stealthmode off)
    > 386 MAX
    >
    > Ensemble do NOT work with:
    > FreeDOS EMM386.EXE
    >
    > BR,
    > Hans
    >

    > On 2004-05-18 01:19, John Howard wrote:
    >
    >>Hans has come through nicely for us!!!
    >>
    >>With some help from Hans I now have a FreeDOS boot floppy and can run
    >>Ensemble on it. And it runs faster than when running on Win98! For
    >>example, I timed the loading of the GeoCosmos sky view in Ensemble under
    >>W98 and FreeDOS on my old P266 laptop...
    >> Ensemble on Win98 - 25 seconds
    >> Ensemble on FreeDOS - 12 seconds
    >>
    >>Thanks Hans!!!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >>John ;-)
    >>

    >>John Howard wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Hans,
    >>>
    >>>Any info you can give as to the setup, configuration and version of
    >>>FreeDOS would be very much appreciated. I've tried about once every six
    >>>months or so (with the latest FD versions) and my problems have been
    >>>with the FreeDOS versions of EMM386 and himem (or their equivalents). On
    >>>some of my earlier trials I had problems with the FreeDOS versions of
    >>>mscdex and getting them to work with a generic CD-ROM driver, but I
    >>>think I got that one resolved.
    >>>
    >>>Of course Ensemble doesn't need the whole range of FreeDOS stuff, so
    >>>just enough to get Ensemble running and able to access the drives would
    >>>be very nice.
    >>>
    >>>John ;-)

  5. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    Hi John!

    Try UMBPCI from here, instead: http://www.uwe-sieber.de

    Follow the installtion instructions. This is useful when having a CD-ROM
    in the system, as you can load the drivers into umb.

    BR,
    Hans

    On 2004-05-23 19:39, John Howard wrote:

    >Hans Lindgren wrote:
    >

    >>Hi John,
    >>
    >>You are welcome! Did you manage to get the EMS-driver to function, or
    >>did you listen to my advice and skipped it? Maybe it can be used with
    >>the NOEMS switch?
    >>

    >I have not gotten it to work with the EMS driver. At all. so I left it
    >out and Ensemble runs fine :-)
    >
    >John ;-)
    >

    >>Dom hinted me about using the UMBPCI, which is at least something, and
    >>here is the link to it: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/umbpci_e.html
    >>
    >>Well, this does not fully compensates as Ensemble can use some EMS
    >>memory to add to the existing base
    >>memory............arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh
    >>
    >>BTW, is there anybody in this group who can take a look at the source in
    >>the FreeDOS EMM386.EXE to see what is wrong? I have contacted the
    >>author, Tom Ehler, but he claims it is an error in Ensemble, and
    >>encouraged me to contact Breadbox, but I doubt that the error is in
    >>Ensemble, as Ensemble works with every EMS manager I have tested except
    >>the FreeDOS one.
    >>
    >>The error shows like this: when the EMS-driver is loaded in the
    >>CONFIG.SYS, Ensemble loads and the destop shows, but it does not take
    >>any keyboard or mouse input, it have hung or freezed or stopped.
    >>
    >>Ensemble works with
    >>PC DOS EMM386.EXE
    >>MS DOS EMM386.EXE
    >>DR DOS EMM386.EXE (includes OpenDOS etc)
    >>ROMDOS EMM386.EXE
    >>QEMM (stealthmode off)
    >>386 MAX
    >>
    >>Ensemble do NOT work with:
    >>FreeDOS EMM386.EXE
    >>
    >>BR,
    >>Hans
    >>

    >>On 2004-05-18 01:19, John Howard wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hans has come through nicely for us!!!
    >>>
    >>>With some help from Hans I now have a FreeDOS boot floppy and can run
    >>>Ensemble on it. And it runs faster than when running on Win98! For
    >>>example, I timed the loading of the GeoCosmos sky view in Ensemble under
    >>>W98 and FreeDOS on my old P266 laptop...
    >>> Ensemble on Win98 - 25 seconds
    >>> Ensemble on FreeDOS - 12 seconds
    >>>
    >>>Thanks Hans!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>
    >>>John ;-)

  6. Re: Read geoworks files with windows

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:42:49 +0200, Thomas L. Christensen
    wrote:

    >I am sure I have also used ST:F, maybe it was on my IBM PS/2 P70 - I
    >can check it out if anyone is interested.

    Yes, ST:F works. I have just set up an old IBM 330 P100 with MS-DOS
    and QEMM. In fact, ST:M didn't work unless 4 mem areas was excluded
    (from Fxxx and up). ST:F works perfect. I have 634 KB conventional and
    33 after loading network drivers, and Breadbox Ensemble runs smoth.

    I have also been playing with FreeDos. So far I have not been able to
    use QEMM with it - a shame, course it could have been a way to use the
    EMS.

    /Thomas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2