Delrina DosFax Pro version 2 - GEOS

This is a discussion on Delrina DosFax Pro version 2 - GEOS ; I'm cleaning up and wondered if anyone wanted a copy of Delrina DosFax pro to use with Geos. I think I last used it with NDO98. It's advertising proclaims it to be "DOS Edition of Award-Winning WinFax PRO". Anyone wants ...

  1. Delrina DosFax Pro version 2

    I'm cleaning up and wondered if anyone wanted a copy of Delrina DosFax
    pro to use with Geos.
    I think I last used it with NDO98. It's advertising proclaims it to be
    "DOS Edition of Award-Winning
    WinFax PRO". Anyone wants to pay the postage from Vancouver, it's
    theirs. If interested, contact me
    off the n.g.

    --
    Regards,
    Doug

    **** remove leading g for email replies. ****

  2. Re: Delrina DosFax Pro version 2

    >>It's advertising proclaims it to be "DOS Edition of Award-Winning
    >>WinFax PRO".

    I have Dosfax 3. If you want to fax from geos, this is probably the
    best way. You load 2 tsr's in dos. When you are running Geos or any
    DOS program, press two hotkeys and the printer will be captured to a
    fax buffer in HP laser II format. Then hotkey to DOSFAX and send
    everything in the buffer. I would write a cover sheet for estimates
    in a word processor then open a custom DOS billing package for the
    detailed estimate. Printed both. Looked like one fax and it never
    hit paper.

    The only technical trick is to set Geos to print to an HP II or
    greater even if that is not your physical printer.

    It had several other features like group fax and print when received,
    but I most liked its ability to send a fax from any DOS program that
    can write to an HP laserjet 2.

    Mike

  3. Re: Delrina DosFax Pro version 2

    M Murch schrieb:

    > >>It's advertising proclaims it to be "DOS Edition of Award-Winning
    > >>WinFax PRO".

    > I have Dosfax 3. If you want to fax from geos, this is probably the
    > best way. You load 2 tsr's in dos. When you are running Geos or any
    > DOS program, press two hotkeys and the printer will be captured to a
    > fax buffer in HP laser II format. Then hotkey to DOSFAX and send
    > everything in the buffer. I would write a cover sheet for estimates
    > in a word processor then open a custom DOS billing package for the
    > detailed estimate. Printed both. Looked like one fax and it never
    > hit paper.
    >
    > The only technical trick is to set Geos to print to an HP II or
    > greater even if that is not your physical printer.
    >
    > It had several other features like group fax and print when received,
    > but I most liked its ability to send a fax from any DOS program that
    > can write to an HP laserjet 2.

    Sounds exactly like the QL2Fax from which I still have several copies
    here.
    In DR-Dos 6.0 I was able to install the TSRs before starting the
    TaskMax, and then I could receive faxes in the background. To send a fax
    in GEOS I wrote a HP LJ II printout into a file and called my own PCLFax
    utility which swapped out, called the converter for the printer data,
    asked for the phone number (or group shortcut) and then switched back to
    GEOS
    while the fax was sending in the background. Worked well.

    Now my GEOS/DOS PC has no modem anymore and all incoming faxes are
    captured by the phone and delivered to the Windows-PC desktop on demand.
    And for the few outgoing faxes, I have a fax printer driver in windows
    which captures the GEOS output too.

  4. Re: Delrina DosFax Pro version 2

    Jens-Michael,

    > >> Sounds exactly like the QL2Fax from which I still have several copies

    > here.
    > In DR-Dos 6.0 I was able to install the TSRs before starting the
    > TaskMax, and then I could receive faxes in the background. To send a fax
    > in GEOS I wrote a HP LJ II printout into a file and called my own PCLFax
    > utility which swapped out, called the converter for the printer data,
    > asked for the phone number (or group shortcut) and then switched back to
    > GEOS
    > while the fax was sending in the background. Worked well.

    I think the difference between QL2FAX and DOSFAX is the Print to Fax
    without a file to be converted. It would wait for you to hotkey over
    and type in the fax phone number (or get it from a list). QL2fax for
    Windows could do it but I thought DOSFAX was the only DOS program that
    did it. No intermediate file, no converters. Are you working with
    Windows QL2fax?

    > Now my GEOS/DOS PC has no modem anymore and all incoming faxes are
    > captured by the phone and delivered to the Windows-PC desktop on demand.
    > And for the few outgoing faxes, I have a fax printer driver in windows
    > which captures the GEOS output too.

    I also have a Windows box catching the incoming fax. But if I wanted
    to send an estimate from my old DOS Clipper program, I still load
    DOSFAX and print from the Clipper program. This is using a DR-DOS 6
    PC that someone threw away. How else could I fax without going to
    paper from DOS Wordperfect, my Clipper database programs, old 123? I
    could find a way to send them to a file for conversion I guess. But
    it is easier for me to just tell them to print. The DOSFAX TSR
    captures it (after pressing the correct hotkey).

    Mike

  5. Re: Delrina DosFax Pro version 2

    M Murch schrieb:

    > Jens-Michael,

    > > here.
    > > In DR-Dos 6.0 I was able to install the TSRs before starting the
    > > TaskMax, and then I could receive faxes in the background. To send a fax
    > > in GEOS I wrote a HP LJ II printout into a file and called my own PCLFax
    > > utility which swapped out, called the converter for the printer data,
    > > asked for the phone number (or group shortcut) and then switched back to
    > > GEOS
    > > while the fax was sending in the background. Worked well.

    > I think the difference between QL2FAX and DOSFAX is the Print to Fax
    > without a file to be converted. It would wait for you to hotkey over
    > and type in the fax phone number (or get it from a list).

    Indeed, this is better - if the hotkey works from within GEOS and no
    (text)-UI is necessary for entering the number.
    In ure DOS applications it is definitely the better way.

    > QL2fax for
    > Windows could do it but I thought DOSFAX was the only DOS program that
    > did it. No intermediate file, no converters. Are you working with
    > Windows QL2fax?

    No. I have Fax-a-matic.
    To fac something, I print it as PostScript file (using my own PS library
    )and then print it with windows to the fax program.
    One step more, but since I do not have a modem attached to my GEOS
    machine anymore (ISDN with some other stuff, no longer analog modem
    compativble) this is easier than tweaking the whole thing. The more
    since I receive faxes with the PCs offline and call them to the windows
    desktop later. So, well... too much trouble.

    > I also have a Windows box catching the incoming fax.

    No, the phone system receives them. NO PC needed except for viewing them
    later. And of course this only works with windoze

    > But if I wanted
    > to send an estimate from my old DOS Clipper program, I still load
    > DOSFAX and print from the Clipper program. This is using a DR-DOS 6
    > PC that someone threw away. How else could I fax without going to
    > paper from DOS Wordperfect, my Clipper database programs, old 123? I
    > could find a way to send them to a file for conversion I guess. But
    > it is easier for me to just tell them to print. The DOSFAX TSR
    > captures it (after pressing the correct hotkey).

    If you still have analog modems, and a non-windows-PC, this is sure a
    good thing.
    But I think, the DOSFAX TSR will still capture the printer output to a
    file (jus tbecause of the size of the data), it is just more
    transparent.

    Well, obne could write a script that lurks in the background until an
    output file has been wirtten and then calls the converter and sendfax.
    Almost what I wrote for QL2Fax, except that it does not launch
    automatically when an output files appears.

    unfortunately, those solutions were rare when GEOS was not so rare as it
    is now

    Grossibaer

+ Reply to Thread