GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI - GEOS

This is a discussion on GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI - GEOS ; OMNI GROUP tgugger@buckeye-express.com 419-380-8853 GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI If interested and qualified, answer the twelve questions below. Email the Answers WITH a reflective resume to tgugger@buckeye-express.com . We want to Fill this position in May. Position: GIS developer Area: Greater ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

  1. GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    OMNI GROUP

    tgugger@buckeye-express.com

    419-380-8853

    GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    If interested and qualified, answer the twelve questions below. Email the

    Answers WITH a reflective resume to tgugger@buckeye-express.com. We want to

    Fill this position in May.

    Position: GIS developer

    Area: Greater Madison Wisconsin Area

    Duration: approx 18 months.

    Start: May, 2004

    Required skills - please list years of experience with each skill set.!!!!

    ArcObjects Development

    ArcGIS Software

    Visual Basic development

    Spatial Database Engine

    Testing and debugging VB Code

    Documenting VB Code

    COM based Development

    Modifying Personal GeoDatabases using ArcObjects

    Building and Maintaining a Map Series

    Modifying the ESRI Map Control

    Working with GIS Transportation Database Structures (Routes, Networks,
    Linear Reference Methods)

    ADO Database connections to Oracle

  2. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    Tom,

    GEOS has nothing to do with GEO Database Software. This is a Windows hating,
    DOS loving, 16-bit, newsgroups.

    "Tom Gugger" wrote in message
    news:260e0$408ee781$3fa62557$25286@allthenewsgroup s.com...

    > OMNI

    GROUP

    > tgugger@buckeye-express.com
    >

    > 419-380-8853
    >

    > GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/

    WI

    > If interested and qualified, answer the twelve questions below. Email

    the

    > Answers WITH a reflective resume to tgugger@buckeye-express.com. We want

    > Fill this position in May.
    >

    > Position: GIS developer
    >
    > Area: Greater Madison Wisconsin Area
    >
    > Duration: approx 18 months.
    >
    > Start: May, 2004
    >

    > Required skills - please list years of experience with each skill set.!!!!
    >

    > ArcObjects Development
    >
    > ArcGIS Software
    >
    > Visual Basic development
    >
    > Spatial Database Engine
    >
    > Testing and debugging VB Code
    >
    > Documenting VB Code
    >
    > COM based Development
    >
    > Modifying Personal GeoDatabases using ArcObjects
    >
    > Building and Maintaining a Map Series
    >
    > Modifying the ESRI Map Control
    >
    > Working with GIS Transportation Database Structures (Routes,

    Networks,
    > Linear Reference Methods)
    >
    > ADO Database connections to Oracle

  3. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >GEOS has nothing to do with GEO Database Software. This is a Windows hating,
    >DOS loving, 16-bit, newsgroups.

    I use PC/GEOS in a 32-bit environment. :-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

  4. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 04:02:46 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >Tom,
    >
    >GEOS has nothing to do with GEO Database Software. This is a Windows hating,
    >DOS loving, 16-bit, newsgroups.

    .... says one of our resident masochists. :-)

    Holger

  5. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    In news:G1Gjc.37696$2v.13205@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,
    Pat informed us:
    | Tom,
    |
    | GEOS has nothing to do with GEO Database Software. This is a Windows
    | hating, DOS loving, 16-bit, newsgroups.

    Heh heh - I just happened to stop by to check my favorite misc.os group,
    and it looks like Pat is expecting me!

    Gosh, you kids are still using PC's? That's like, so retro. I'm almost
    at the point where I can rely on my new Palm Tungsten T3 for just about
    everything that I do. It's running on a 400mhz ARM (Intel) chip that's
    faster than my earliest DOS boxes that ran GEOS. 64 meg RAM, and I
    bought a 256M SD card. So now I use the spreadsheets and read lots of
    e-books, and the whole thing fits in my pocket.

    I just happened to think of this group because just yesterday I had to
    fire up my old 486sx laptop and use GEOS/NDO to RS232 some programs on
    our CNC machines at work. BTW, to do some quick edits I used Ed G's
    Edit+, which is *still* one of the best text editors, GEOS or not.
    Anyway, it's been a really long time since I checked in, and since I was
    using it, I thought I'd stop by to see when the new version is going to
    be released.

    Tom

  6. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat"
    > spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >GEOS has nothing to do with GEO Database Software. This is a Windows

    hating,
    > >DOS loving, 16-bit, newsgroups.

    > I use PC/GEOS in a 32-bit environment. :-)

    That's got nothing to do with PC/GEOS.

    Its a DOS 16-bit application and is limited by the DOS jail. You can run it
    on a Cray Supercomputer, under emulation, but its still what it is. That
    will never change!

  7. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 04:02:46 GMT, "Pat" wrote:
    >
    > >Tom,
    > >
    > >GEOS has nothing to do with GEO Database Software. This is a Windows

    hating,
    > >DOS loving, 16-bit, newsgroups.

    > ... says one of our resident masochists. :-)
    >

    > Holger

    Oh, I'm a resident now. Wow! I'm flattered. ;-)

  8. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    news:GcSjc.16271$e4.3392@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > In news:G1Gjc.37696$2v.13205@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,

    > Anyway, it's been a really long time since I checked in, and since I was
    > using it, I thought I'd stop by to see when the new version is going to
    > be released.

  9. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    Pat wrote:

    > "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    > news:GcSjc.16271$e4.3392@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    >
    >>In news:G1Gjc.37696$2v.13205@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,

    >>Anyway, it's been a really long time since I checked in, and since I was
    >>using it, I thought I'd stop by to see when the new version is going to
    >>be released.

    Someone drop you on your head?? ;-)

    Roy

  10. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    Pat wrote:

    > "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    > news:GcSjc.16271$e4.3392@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    >
    >>In news:G1Gjc.37696$2v.13205@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,

    >>Anyway, it's been a really long time since I checked in, and since I was
    >>using it, I thought I'd stop by to see when the new version is going to
    >>be released.

    I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. I guess that GEOS/32 stuff never
    went anywhere, huh?

    Pat, should I go back the the Palm groups and leave you guys alone?

    Tom

  11. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    Tom Accuosti wrote:

    > Pat wrote:
    >
    >> "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    >> news:GcSjc.16271$e4.3392@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    >>
    >>> In news:G1Gjc.37696$2v.13205@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,

    >>> Anyway, it's been a really long time since I checked in, and since I was
    >>> using it, I thought I'd stop by to see when the new version is going to
    >>> be released.

    > I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. I guess that GEOS/32 stuff never went
    > anywhere, huh?

    John Howard had a post a week or two ago that suggested that work is
    still ongoing.

    Of course Pat would just snort at that.

    Roy

    > Pat, should I go back the the Palm groups and leave you guys alone?
    >
    > Tom

  12. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    ***>

    Someone drop you on your head?? ;-)

    Roy
    ***

    Atta boy, Roy.

    Chip Blank
    GUI
    GeoGrafix

    The GEOS Users International website is at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

  13. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:33:11 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >> ... says one of our resident masochists. :-)

    >Oh, I'm a resident now. Wow! I'm flattered. ;-)

    The emphasis was on "masochist". How else would you bear to be
    tormented by us backward people with our old-fashioned views?

    Holger

  14. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    Tom Accuosti wrote:
    [snip]

    > Anyway, it's been a really long time since I checked in, and since I was
    > using it, I thought I'd stop by to see when the new version is going to
    > be released.
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom,

    Stop by www.breadbox.com to see what we've been up to. As the regulars
    here know, we're working on a new version of Geos (that we're calling
    Geos32 for now), but we don't have a release date for it yet.

    John ;-)

  15. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:33:11 GMT, "Pat" wrote:
    >

    > >> ... says one of our resident masochists. :-)

    > >Oh, I'm a resident now. Wow! I'm flattered. ;-)
    > >

    > The emphasis was on "masochist". How else would you bear to be
    > tormented by us backward people with our old-fashioned views?

    Holger, I am merely the ghost of GEOS future. I, too, have used, and
    continue to applaud using GEOS on OLD PCs, that fit. I would never recommend
    it on anything else, if another alternative existed.

  16. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    "Exegete" wrote in message

    > Pat wrote:
    >
    > > "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    > > news:GcSjc.16271$e4.3392@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > >
    > >>In news:G1Gjc.37696$2v.13205@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,

    > >>Anyway, it's been a really long time since I checked in, and since I was
    > >>using it, I thought I'd stop by to see when the new version is going to
    > >>be released.

    > Someone drop you on your head?? ;-)

    Roy, don't you have something to say to Tom, regards the new version?

  17. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    news:us_jc.215$yM4.21@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com.. .
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    > > "Tom Accuosti" wrote in message
    > > news:GcSjc.16271$e4.3392@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > >
    > >>In news:G1Gjc.37696$2v.13205@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,

    > >>Anyway, it's been a really long time since I checked in, and since I was
    > >>using it, I thought I'd stop by to see when the new version is going to
    > >>be released.

    > I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. I guess that GEOS/32 stuff never
    > went anywhere, huh?

    Too bad, Tom, you missed the huge wake for GEOS. Lots of former users
    were there, even the GeoReps from the old AOL forum. Brian gave a moving
    eulogy, which generated tears from the assembled mourners. Only the Euro
    crew was absent. Some felt they were bitter about the ill fated demise of
    their pride and joy. It is rumored that some of them wanted to steal GEOS'
    corpse and try to resurrect it. We all felt sorry for them, having wasted
    their good coding years on an over the hill DOS 16 bit application with no
    viable future beyond old Junker PCs.

    Maybe we'll get together some time and hoist a few beers and click glasses
    for GEOS. Sorry, I'm starting to cry. Bye!

  18. Re: GIS DEVELOPER/ CONTRACT/ WI

    John Howard wrote:

    > Tom Accuosti wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Anyway, it's been a really long time since I checked in, and since I was
    >> using it, I thought I'd stop by to see when the new version is going to
    >> be released.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > Stop by www.breadbox.com to see what we've been up to. As the regulars
    > here know, we're working on a new version of Geos (that we're calling
    > Geos32 for now), but we don't have a release date for it yet.
    >
    > John ;-)

    Cool. I'm glad to see that it's still alive, although I don't think
    I've used the last release more than a handful of times. I glanced
    through the site, and it looks rather professional. It almost had me
    fooled ;-)

    As it happens, my geek friends and I have finally tossed out virtually
    everything slower than a 1 gig Athlon. I tossed out all sorts of 486
    motherboards, 32 pin and 72 pin RAM, ISA cards, you name it. For old
    time's sake I still have a 486 running 120mhz, but I only keep it
    around because it has a 5 1/4" floppy drive. Hey, ya never know. But I
    only mention this because it kind of marks the end of my interest in
    keeping the older technology going.

    I'm not making any value judgements on anyone else who still gets by
    on that 286; it's just that I've taken stock of my scant resources
    (i.e., personal time) and realized that there's so much that I want to
    learn on the newer stuff.

    It's funny, though, that I can pop in here about once or twice a year
    and it seems like the show is always right where I left off .

    Tom

  19. Of desktop PC's and Palm Pilots...

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    "Tom Accuosti" spake unto us, saying:

    >Gosh, you kids are still using PC's? That's like, so retro.

    There's something special about running an arcade game on a 21" screen
    that a Palm Pilot just can't replace. :-)

    Not that I don't love my little m105, mind you...

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    See web site above for resume/CV and background.

  20. Running PC/GEOS under OS/2 (it works fine).

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >"Richard Steiner" wrote
    >> "Pat" spake unto us, saying:
    >>
    >> >GEOS has nothing to do with GEO Database Software. This is a Windows
    >> >hating, DOS loving, 16-bit, newsgroups.

    >> I use PC/GEOS in a 32-bit environment. :-)

    >That's got nothing to do with PC/GEOS.

    I'm afraid *most* of your comment has nothing to do with PC/GEOS.

    >Its a DOS 16-bit application and is limited by the DOS jail.

    So? Since each occurence of the "DOS Jail" (implemented here as an OS/2
    VDM) is just another isolated process, and each is preemptively juggled
    by the kernel just as any other native process would be, the limitations
    internal to that particular container are not relevant to anything else
    that is running on the system.

    There is no disadvantage to using PC/GEOS on a modern system, or even
    on a slightly less-than-modern system such as I use.