Re: DOS lives - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: DOS lives - GEOS ; On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:11:25 GMT, "Pat" wrote: >I honestly never heard of Coyote Linux and I don't care to. Why should I or >anyone want to, unless you are broke and someone handed you a Pentium 4 >computer ...

  1. Re: DOS lives

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:11:25 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >I honestly never heard of Coyote Linux and I don't care to. Why should I or
    >anyone want to, unless you are broke and someone handed you a Pentium 4
    >computer as a charitable gift. People have 24 hours a day to allocate sleep,
    >work, and play. If computers fit into your work and play times, then why add
    >stress and complexity to your life.

    Stress and complexity? Experience: I used windows... I've used 3.1,
    95, 98, NT 4, 2000, ME and XP and all of them made me frustrated and
    often gave me problems with no way to fix them. Switched to Red Hat
    Linux (7.1 back then, now using 9, but planning to upgrade to Fedora
    or switching to Gentoo) and since then I've had a LOT less stress with
    computers, a LOT more reliable system, a LOT less crashes on programs
    (and never had a program crash my OS - this has happened to me with
    every version of windows) and I've had a choice to make my OS look and
    feel pretty much anyway I like it...

    Now with IceWM my desktop looks like this:
    http://rain.prohosting.com/robsku/linuxdesktop20.html

    and while many might not prefer that, I do... with gnome it used to
    look like this:

    http://rain.prohosting.com/robsku/linuxdesktop19.html

    However this is just surface... Overally this OS offers me much more
    than Windows ever did or could.

    >> >WINDOWS XP/2003 SERVER

    >> Really? If I want a simple fileserver, what does Windows XP give me
    >> that a Webmin-enabled copy of Mandrake 8.2 can't give me for free?

    >You get what you pay for.

    Actually - no. I pay for windows - I get problems. I download linux -
    my problems are gone.

    So your sentence does not hold true, not at least in my case nor in
    case of most of my friends who are converted linux users now.

    Personally I would not dare to run a web server on windows... I have
    http, ftp and ssh running on my linux and it works great. I worked in
    a software firm where most computers were with windows 2000 - however
    the file servers and web servers were - not surprisingly - running
    linux.

  2. Re: DOS lives

    "Sir Robin" wrote in message

    > Stress and complexity? Experience: I used windows... I've used 3.1,
    > 95, 98, NT 4, 2000, ME and XP and all of them made me frustrated and
    > often gave me problems with no way to fix them. Switched to Red Hat
    > Linux (7.1 back then, now using 9, but planning to upgrade to Fedora
    > or switching to Gentoo) and since then I've had a LOT less stress with
    > computers, a LOT more reliable system, a LOT less crashes on programs
    > (and never had a program crash my OS - this has happened to me with
    > every version of windows) and I've had a choice to make my OS look and
    > feel pretty much anyway I like it...
    >
    > Now with IceWM my desktop looks like this:
    > http://rain.prohosting.com/robsku/linuxdesktop20.html

    Windows is the greatest. More device drivers and choice off apps than any
    other OS on the planet. Microsoft finally got it right with XP. I have not
    had a single crash with my system since installing XP. I've had rare times
    when a program has hang in termination and I've been tempted to take the
    system down, but patience has always won out. If you're trying to say that
    Linux is easier than Windows, I dispute it for the average PC user. I would
    prefer the Unix kernel that lies beneath the bowels of the Mac OS, than
    Linux. Regards your personal opinion standing for anything, I would point to
    the millions of happy Windows users, who out number the Linux uses, by a
    vast percentage. In fact, if you took a poll, more GEOS users also use
    Windows at home, than Linux!

    Pssssssst! They really like Windows but will not admit it and will use any
    number of excuses why they have to suffer the slings and arrows of using
    Windows. LOL!

  3. Re: DOS lives

    Pat wrote:
    > In fact, if you took a poll, more GEOS users also use
    > Windows at home, than Linux!

    Uahhh... I have 1 (this is one, and no number missing) Windoof system, 2
    Linux and 2 GEOS. So, there is 4 other against 1 Windows.

    with M$, I had to spend 2000 US$ for licenses...

    Bolle

  4. Re: DOS lives

    Andreas, you're making me laugh, thanks I needed that.

    "Andreas Bollhalder" wrote in message
    news:NewsReader.1.0.2004417621225120944@news.swiss online.ch...

    > Pat wrote:
    > > In fact, if you took a poll, more GEOS users also use
    > > Windows at home, than Linux!

    > Uahhh... I have 1 (this is one, and no number missing) Windoof system, 2
    > Linux and 2 GEOS. So, there is 4 other against 1 Windows.
    >
    > with M$, I had to spend 2000 US$ for licenses...
    >
    > Bolle

  5. Re: DOS lives

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:12:04 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >"Sir Robin" wrote in message
    >
    >> Stress and complexity? Experience: I used windows... I've used 3.1,
    >> 95, 98, NT 4, 2000, ME and XP and all of them made me frustrated and
    >> often gave me problems with no way to fix them. Switched to Red Hat
    >> Linux (7.1 back then, now using 9, but planning to upgrade to Fedora
    >> or switching to Gentoo) and since then I've had a LOT less stress with
    >> computers, a LOT more reliable system, a LOT less crashes on programs
    >> (and never had a program crash my OS - this has happened to me with
    >> every version of windows) and I've had a choice to make my OS look and
    >> feel pretty much anyway I like it...
    >>
    >> Now with IceWM my desktop looks like this:
    >> http://rain.prohosting.com/robsku/linuxdesktop20.html

    >Windows is the greatest.

    Not really.

    >More device drivers and choice off apps than any
    >other OS on the planet.

    One thing right - there is more device drivers for windows than for
    any other PC OS around. That is far from making windows the greatest -
    I did give reasons why I like linux way better than windoze. If you
    forgot, check the beginning of the message

    >Microsoft finally got it right with XP. I have not
    >had a single crash with my system since installing XP.

    Lucky you. I've had and seen people having problems with XP -
    including crashing the OS and I've never had those problems with
    linux.

    > If you're trying to say that
    >Linux is easier than Windows, I dispute it for the average PC user. I would
    >prefer the Unix kernel that lies beneath the bowels of the Mac OS, than
    >Linux.

    Whatever rocks your boat. Max OS X may be easyer for average user than
    Linux, I do admit that without complaining. Unlike Windows, Max OS X
    is a quality OS in my eyes.

    >Regards your personal opinion standing for anything, I would point to
    >the millions of happy Windows users, who out number the Linux uses, by a
    >vast percentage.

    The fact that they don't know about better and that they are used to
    lacks and problems of windows does not mean that windows is better
    choice than linux.

    >In fact, if you took a poll, more GEOS users also use
    >Windows at home, than Linux!

    And?

  6. Re: DOS lives

    "Sir Robin" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:12:04 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    > One thing right - there is more device drivers for windows than for
    > any other PC OS around. That is far from making windows the greatest -
    > I did give reasons why I like linux way better than windoze. If you
    > forgot, check the beginning of the message

    I never said it was the only thing, but drivers are extremely important for
    the average user who walks into CompUSA, Circuit City, Micro Center,
    Staples, Office Max, et al..

    > Lucky you. I've had and seen people having problems with XP -
    > including crashing the OS and I've never had those problems with
    > Linux.

    And what am I to conclude from that uninformed statement?

    > Whatever rocks your boat. Max OS X may be easyer for average user than
    > Linux, I do admit that without complaining. Unlike Windows, Max OS X
    > is a quality OS in my eyes.

    Windows NT kernel was designed and coded from scratch, by the same team that
    did VMS for Digital, including some of the most celebrated world class
    computer science architects. Windows 9x is a completely different beast, and
    I will agree with you that it is not in the same category. The MAC OS/X uses
    a fine-grained multithreaded Mach 3.0 kernel and is also an excellent OS.
    However, I prefer the sweet spot of best bang for the buck, as do the
    majority of computer users. Windows XP Pro does that, IMHO!

    The Mac and OS/X represent 5% of new computer sales. On the PC, Desktop
    Linux is insignificant. In the world of servers, Linux does better in
    numbers of installed and running systems. Just talking facts, and not your
    personal preference or conclusions.

    > >In fact, if you took a poll, more GEOS users also use
    > >Windows at home, than Linux!

    > And?>

    And Windows is what the vast majority of users in the world use. In fact,
    its kind of interesting that GEOS began its life as a product of Unix
    workstations, which were used to code and compile the tiny OS. But Geoworks,
    in their infinite wisdom, decided to switch to Windows NT for accomplishing
    that same function, today.

    Yes, Sir Robin, GEOS' obstetrician is Gates' Microsoft Windows. ROTFL!

  7. Re: DOS lives

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:21:50 GMT, "Pat" wrote:

    >> Lucky you. I've had and seen people having problems with XP -
    >> including crashing the OS and I've never had those problems with
    >> Linux.

    >And what am I to conclude from that uninformed statement?

    Don't know about you but for me it suggests thaht WinXP does not
    provide the same stability that linux does.

    >> Whatever rocks your boat. Max OS X may be easyer for average user than
    >> Linux, I do admit that without complaining. Unlike Windows, Max OS X
    >> is a quality OS in my eyes.

    >Windows NT kernel was designed and coded from scratch, by the same team that
    >did VMS for Digital, including some of the most celebrated world class
    >computer science architects. Windows 9x is a completely different beast, and
    >I will agree with you that it is not in the same category.

    And while Windows NT is much better quality than Win9x I've still had
    it crashing after beeing used for only less than a month. Still I
    think that Windows NT and Windows 2000 are quite usable, even though
    they do not provide me the same power and possibilitys that linux does
    - Windows XP is a big step downwards from Windows 2000 and I've yet to
    personally meet a person who actually prefers to use XP over Win2000
    and very few who prefer Win2000 over Linux.

    >The MAC OS/X uses
    >a fine-grained multithreaded Mach 3.0 kernel and is also an excellent OS.
    >However, I prefer the sweet spot of best bang for the buck, as do the
    >majority of computer users. Windows XP Pro does that, IMHO!

    Whatever rocks your boat.

    >The Mac and OS/X represent 5% of new computer sales. On the PC, Desktop
    >Linux is insignificant. In the world of servers, Linux does better in
    >numbers of installed and running systems. Just talking facts, and not your
    >personal preference or conclusions.

    I admit these facts without problems. I do not admit that Windows
    would be at all so good in quality as it is in sales. Most used rarely
    means the best choice.

    ***/--- Sir Robin (aka Jani Saksa) Bi-Sex and proud of it! ---\***
    **/ email: sir@robsku.NO-SPAM.cjb.net <*> Reg. Linux user #290577 \**
    *| Me, Drugs, DooM, Photos, Writings... http://robsku.cjb.net/ |*
    **\--- GSM/SMS: +358 41 580 1715 ---/**

+ Reply to Thread