NDO 2000 & WINXP HOME? - GEOS

This is a discussion on NDO 2000 & WINXP HOME? - GEOS ; The fan on the processor heat sink quit on my 10year old win 98 machine.... Needless to say the processor fried. The multi GHz replacement 'puter runs under XPhome. I installed the hard drive from the old machine into the ...

  1. NDO 2000 & WINXP HOME?

    The fan on the processor heat sink quit on my 10year old win 98 machine....
    Needless to say the processor fried.

    The multi GHz replacement 'puter runs under XPhome. I installed the hard drive
    from the old machine into the new one. All files are intact and seem to work,
    except NDO2000. The splash screen comes up but nothing else....

    All the system mods that worked on my laptop with WIN2000 are to no avial. If
    anyone has figured how to run NDO under XP, I would appreciate any help.

    If John H. is following this query. I would be more than willing to purchase a
    CD of the newest version of NDO but only if it were able to self install under
    XP without having to grope my way thru all the damn windows files to make
    modifications.

    I know, I know! You're wondering why I run NDO on all this new stuff.. Hey, it
    works, it does all I need as an office suite...OK so I use Pagemaker,
    Photoshop, Illustrator, Powerpoint, GPS and some other stuff but GEOS/NDO
    seldom fails me. IT WORKS!!!

    Many Thanks;

    Marc
    Marco10684@aol.com

  2. Re: NDO 2000 & WINXP HOME?

    Hi Marco,

    There's a white paper on the breadbox web site on running NDO & Ensemble
    in XP. We've gotten NDO2000 running on many XP boxes using the tips in
    the white paper and CPUKiller (when necessary). There's a link to
    CPUKiller on our links page.

    John ;-)

    Marco10684 wrote:

    > The fan on the processor heat sink quit on my 10year old win 98 machine....
    > Needless to say the processor fried.
    >
    > The multi GHz replacement 'puter runs under XPhome. I installed the hard drive
    > from the old machine into the new one. All files are intact and seem to work,
    > except NDO2000. The splash screen comes up but nothing else....
    >
    > All the system mods that worked on my laptop with WIN2000 are to no avial. If
    > anyone has figured how to run NDO under XP, I would appreciate any help.
    >
    > If John H. is following this query. I would be more than willing to purchase a
    > CD of the newest version of NDO but only if it were able to self install under
    > XP without having to grope my way thru all the damn windows files to make
    > modifications.
    >
    > I know, I know! You're wondering why I run NDO on all this new stuff.. Hey, it
    > works, it does all I need as an office suite...OK so I use Pagemaker,
    > Photoshop, Illustrator, Powerpoint, GPS and some other stuff but GEOS/NDO
    > seldom fails me. IT WORKS!!!
    >
    > Many Thanks;
    >
    > Marc
    > Marco10684@aol.com

  3. Re: NDO 2000 & WINXP HOME?

    >I know, I know! You're wondering why I run NDO on all this new stuff.. Hey,
    >it
    >works, it does all I need as an office suite...OK so I use Pagemaker,
    >Photoshop, Illustrator, Powerpoint, GPS and some other stuff but GEOS/NDO
    >seldom fails me. IT WORKS!!!

    Just a quick word... I'm a long time GEOS/NDO user (since 1992!) and recently
    had to switch to WinXP, and found I was able to make it work using the mods
    mentioned along w/CPU Killer... strange, but it works!
    AND - I totally agree w/you about continuing to use NDO along w/WIN products,
    because it does what it does BEST!!! For those that might remember, I produce
    the theater playbills for our community theater here in Tampa, FL, and it's
    soooooo simple w/NDO - intermixing graphics/graphic text boxes/regular text,
    shrinking words/spaces to prevent 1 or 2 words from having to go on another
    line (saves space!). I just want to be able to continue to use this great
    program.
    Best of Luck --- I'm sure you'll get your favorite program back in working
    order!
    Helene in lovely warm Tampa, FL

  4. Re: NDO 2000 & WINXP HOME?

    Marco10684 schrieb:

    > I know, I know! You're wondering why I run NDO on all this new stuff.. Hey, it
    > works, it does all I need as an office suite...OK so I use Pagemaker,
    > Photoshop, Illustrator, Powerpoint, GPS and some other stuff but GEOS/NDO
    > seldom fails me. IT WORKS!!!

    I do not wonder
    Actually, nobody who really uses GEOS will wonder about that.

    Regarding the other problem: it is the processor speed which causes a
    lockup in the strtup procedure of GEOS. The so-called 'fast CPU bug'.
    CPUkiller or cache.exe will help, as John already stated.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

+ Reply to Thread