Re: Writing device drivers - GEOS

This is a discussion on Re: Writing device drivers - GEOS ; Dick T schrieb: > > Where do I look for information on how to write device drivers for the GEOS? for programming questions, use comp.os.geos.programmers. And as Frank wrote, the OmniGo SDK holds some information about writing drivers. Be aware ...

  1. Re: Writing device drivers

    Dick T schrieb:

    > Where do I look for information on how to write device drivers for the GEOS?

    for programming questions, use comp.os.geos.programmers.

    And as Frank wrote, the OmniGo SDK holds some information about writing
    drivers.
    Be aware that writing drivers requires assembly language knowledge. You
    can mix it with C++ for the driver functions, but the main entry
    function for drivers needs to be in assembly language.

    Grossibaer.

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  2. Re: Writing device drivers

    "Jens-Michael Gross" skrev i meddelandet

    > for programming questions, use comp.os.geos.programmers.

    Quel dommage. My news server doesn't have this group.

    > Be aware that writing drivers requires assembly language knowledge.

    I'm still a dilletant in this field. Wrote a couple of very odd printer
    drivers for the Atari ST in BASIC of all languages. That was a long time
    ago.

    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into assembler.

    Dick

  3. Re: Writing device drivers

    Dick T schrieb:

    > "Jens-Michael Gross" skrev i meddelandet
    >
    > > for programming questions, use comp.os.geos.programmers.

    > Quel dommage. My news server doesn't have this group.

    Should have read 'comp.os.geos.programmer' without 's'. Sorry.

    > > Be aware that writing drivers requires assembly language knowledge.

    > I'm still a dilletant in this field. Wrote a couple of very odd printer
    > drivers for the Atari ST in BASIC of all languages. That was a long time
    > ago.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into assembler.

    Other than the libraries, which export their functions directly, a
    driver has just one central entry point. You call it with a function
    number in a processor register and are then dispatched to the proper
    function.

    This function then could be in C again (this requires some dirty
    hacking), but the entry point and the dispatcher need to be in assembly.
    Luckily, this part is almost identical for all drivers (except for the
    number and name of the functions), so you can more or less just copy it.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

+ Reply to Thread