GEOS goes WLAN - GEOS

This is a discussion on GEOS goes WLAN - GEOS ; Hello all This writing is from my IBM Butterfly notebook with a WLAN card. I am runing NDO2000 with PC/DOS under it. Really funny to surf and use the Internet with that old 486 notebook and a relative new network ...

  1. GEOS goes WLAN

    Hello all

    This writing is from my IBM Butterfly notebook with a WLAN card. I am runing
    NDO2000 with PC/DOS under it. Really funny to surf and use the Internet with
    that old 486 notebook and a relative new network connection technology. And
    this everywhere I like in my house, without any cables !!

    OK, this PCMCIA card from Cisco Aironet PCM-350 is the only one where I
    know, there are DOS drivers and utilities. It is only 11 Mbit, but this is
    not a problem, because GEOS files are usally 10 times smaller then that from
    $$$.
    I use 128bit WEP (in real 104bit) and all is fine. The driver need 12kB
    RAM, a 2kB window and LSL 5kB.

    So, one of us could stay that sommer in the garden, using a old notebook
    for surfing the Internet.

    Yep, I think after this done, I will go to smoke a special cigaret.

    Greetings from Switzerland

    Andreas

  2. Re: GEOS goes WLAN

    this is very interesting.. thank you for sharing it..

    i am still playing with geos on usb thumb drives and think there is
    potential there for selling geos preloaded on or packeaged with (on a
    mini cd) USB thumb drives..

    Imagine taking your whole operating system and data on a bootable thumb
    drive that works in most modern computers.. as long as geos could
    access the ethernet port in most modern pcs, this would be fantastic..

    I am booting from the thumb drive using win98se startup disk files
    loaded onto the drive, then modifying the autoexec to xcopy the geos
    folder over to the ramdisk which win98se startup disk creates and which
    i enlarged to 32MB, and running geos from there..

    i tried this a year ago but had trouble booting thanks to an older
    motherboard that just refuses to boot from the thumb drive .. but my
    new motherboard with usb 2.0 on board boots fine from the thumb drive
    with NO DRIVERS required.. geos even works fine with my logitech usb
    optical mouse using the ps/2 mouse driver...

    if your windows wont' boot for some reason, just plug in the geos USB
    drive, boot from there and rescue your files using the geos graphical
    environment....

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote:
    > Hello all
    >
    > This writing is from my IBM Butterfly notebook with a WLAN card. I am runing
    > NDO2000 with PC/DOS under it. Really funny to surf and use the Internet with
    > that old 486 notebook and a relative new network connection technology. And
    > this everywhere I like in my house, without any cables !!
    >
    > OK, this PCMCIA card from Cisco Aironet PCM-350 is the only one where I
    > know, there are DOS drivers and utilities. It is only 11 Mbit, but this is
    > not a problem, because GEOS files are usally 10 times smaller then that from
    > $$$.
    > I use 128bit WEP (in real 104bit) and all is fine. The driver need 12kB
    > RAM, a 2kB window and LSL 5kB.
    >
    > So, one of us could stay that sommer in the garden, using a old notebook
    > for surfing the Internet.
    >
    > Yep, I think after this done, I will go to smoke a special cigaret.
    >
    > Greetings from Switzerland
    >
    > Andreas

  3. Re: GEOS goes WLAN

    Hello Hyubso

    I tried booting from usb too. But i was unlucky because my PC's are too
    old and the BIOS of my newer notebook doesn't support booting from USB sticks.
    Maybe I have once time. What I'm interested in too is trying to use a USB
    scanner with the USBASPI driver from Panasonic. The scanner test utility
    from Grossibär sees my USB CD drive...

    There is still much to explore with new devices and GEOS. Even some persons
    here have another meaning.

    This good days we have.

    Andreas

    hyubso wrote:
    > this is very interesting.. thank you for sharing it..
    >
    > i am still playing with geos on usb thumb drives and think there is
    > potential there for selling geos preloaded on or packeaged with (on

    > mini cd) USB thumb drives..
    >
    > Imagine taking your whole operating system and data on a bootable thumb
    > drive that works in most modern computers.. as long as geos could
    > access the ethernet port in most modern pcs, this would be fantastic..
    >
    > I am booting from the thumb drive using win98se startup disk files
    > loaded onto the drive, then modifying the autoexec to xcopy the geos
    > folder over to the ramdisk which win98se startup disk creates and which
    > i enlarged to 32MB, and running geos from there..
    >
    > i tried this a year ago but had trouble booting thanks to an older
    > motherboard that just refuses to boot from the thumb drive .. but my
    > new motherboard with usb 2.0 on board boots fine from the thumb drive
    > with NO DRIVERS required.. geos even works fine with my logitech usb
    > optical mouse using the ps/2 mouse driver...
    >

    > if your windows wont' boot for some reason, just plug in the geos USB
    > drive, boot from there and rescue your files using the geos graphical
    > environment....

  4. Re: GEOS goes WLAN

    Hallo Andreas,

    Andreas Bollhalder wrote in message news:...
    > Hello Hyubso
    >
    > I tried booting from usb too. But i was unlucky because my PC's are too
    > old and the BIOS of my newer notebook doesn't support booting from USB sticks.
    > Maybe I have once time. What I'm interested in too is trying to use a USB
    > scanner with the USBASPI driver from Panasonic. The scanner test utility
    > from Grossibär sees my USB CD drive...
    >
    > There is still much to explore with new devices and GEOS. Even some persons
    > here have another meaning.
    >
    > This good days we have.
    >
    > Andreas

    Wie hast Du das gemacht? Ich wuerde sehr gern mit DSL und PC/GEOS ins
    Internet gehen. Kannst Du eventuell mal eine Schritt für
    Schritt-Anleitung fuer Dummis wie mich verfassen?
    Danke. Und liebe Gruesse in die Schweiz!

    Johannes

  5. GEOS goes WLAN

    * Reply auf eine Mail in COMP.OS.GEOS.MISC (GEOS O/S by Geoworks in general.)

    06 M„r 04 17:55:11, Andreas Bollhalder schrieb an All:

    Hallo Andreas,
    AB> runing NDO2000 with PC/DOS under it. Really funny to surf and use the
    AB> Internet with that old 486 notebook and a relative new network connection
    AB> technology. And this everywhere I like in my house, without any cables !!

    Congratulations!

    AB> Yep, I think after this done, I will go to smoke a special cigaret.

    Nun, wie heisst es so sch”n? "Sie haben es sich verdient" ;-)#

    cu, Fred

    mailto:fred(at)koerper-hannover.de

+ Reply to Thread