GEOS 2.0 SDK - GEOS

This is a discussion on GEOS 2.0 SDK - GEOS ; Hello all Does anyone have an original Geoworks 2.0 SDK that they no longer use or need? If so, I'd be happy to pay something for an original CD. What I have in mind as a hobby project this year ...

  1. GEOS 2.0 SDK

    Hello all

    Does anyone have an original Geoworks 2.0 SDK that they no longer use or
    need? If so, I'd be happy to pay something for an original CD.

    What I have in mind as a hobby project this year is a chess program for
    PC/GEOS, OmniGo, DOS, OS/2 and eComStation (eCS) platforms.

    I already have an original 2.1 SDK for OmniGo, but as far as I can see
    it's not entirely suitable for PC/GEOS development (for example, the 2.1
    version doesn't seem to have an EC version of PC/GEOS for debugging and
    I don't think the documentation covers all aspects of PC/GEOS).

    I couldn't make use of any SDK that *isn't* DOS-based. I'm hoping that
    a 2.0 SDK would be OK for developing a chess program that would work on
    any version of PC/GEOS, as I don't think I'd be using any libraries etc.
    that wouldn't be common on every PC/GEOS version from Ensemble 2.01 to
    NDO R3.2a, NDO 2000, Breadbox Ensemble etc.

    I'd be using OS/2 or eCS as the OS on my development machine so the
    DOS-based 2.0 SDK would seem suitable for the PC/GEOS side of things.
    I've got Borland C++ 4.52 to go with the SDK and will probably also use
    OpenWatcom 1.2, as it has an excellent IDE that runs natively under OS/2
    and eCS. I could also use OpenWatcom for developing the OS/2, eCS and
    DOS versions.

    Before anyone gets too excited, I would mention that the last time I did
    any kind of programming in C was about ten years ago. I've also never
    programmed for PC/GEOS, OmniGo etc. before but I'm keen to give it a
    go. I do know a reasonable amount about chess programming concepts
    though and have an international chess rating, so that might compensate
    a little for my rusty/average programming skills.

    My goal is to create a fairly "serious" chess program, rather than one
    that barely plays legal chess - that's the idea, anyway!

    Regards

    Cameron

  2. Re: GEOS 2.0 SDK

    Hi Cameron,

    Look at www.tvakatter.org under Downloads\ SDK

    Edward

    "stonebank1" schreef in bericht
    > Hello all
    >
    > Does anyone have an original Geoworks 2.0 SDK that they no longer use or
    > need? If so, I'd be happy to pay something for an original CD.
    >
    > What I have in mind as a hobby project this year is a chess program for
    > PC/GEOS, OmniGo, DOS, OS/2 and eComStation (eCS) platforms.
    >
    > I already have an original 2.1 SDK for OmniGo, but as far as I can see
    > it's not entirely suitable for PC/GEOS development (for example, the 2.1
    > version doesn't seem to have an EC version of PC/GEOS for debugging and
    > I don't think the documentation covers all aspects of PC/GEOS).
    >
    > I couldn't make use of any SDK that *isn't* DOS-based. I'm hoping that
    > a 2.0 SDK would be OK for developing a chess program that would work on
    > any version of PC/GEOS, as I don't think I'd be using any libraries etc.
    > that wouldn't be common on every PC/GEOS version from Ensemble 2.01 to
    > NDO R3.2a, NDO 2000, Breadbox Ensemble etc.
    >
    > I'd be using OS/2 or eCS as the OS on my development machine so the
    > DOS-based 2.0 SDK would seem suitable for the PC/GEOS side of things.
    > I've got Borland C++ 4.52 to go with the SDK and will probably also use
    > OpenWatcom 1.2, as it has an excellent IDE that runs natively under OS/2
    > and eCS. I could also use OpenWatcom for developing the OS/2, eCS and
    > DOS versions.
    >
    > Before anyone gets too excited, I would mention that the last time I did
    > any kind of programming in C was about ten years ago. I've also never
    > programmed for PC/GEOS, OmniGo etc. before but I'm keen to give it a
    > go. I do know a reasonable amount about chess programming concepts
    > though and have an international chess rating, so that might compensate
    > a little for my rusty/average programming skills.
    >
    > My goal is to create a fairly "serious" chess program, rather than one
    > that barely plays legal chess - that's the idea, anyway!
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Cameron

  3. Re: GEOS 2.0 SDK

    Hi Edward

    I did have a look at www.tvakatter.org before posting here but I didn't
    see the SDK I'm after. I think the downloads were also zipped from an
    installed hard drive instead of being original installation images.
    I'll have another look though in case I was mistaken.

    Regards

    Cameron

    Edward wrote:

    > Hi Cameron,
    >
    > Look at www.tvakatter.org under Downloads\ SDK
    >
    > Edward
    >
    > "stonebank1" schreef in bericht
    > > Hello all
    > >
    > > Does anyone have an original Geoworks 2.0 SDK that they no longer use or
    > > need? If so, I'd be happy to pay something for an original CD.
    > >
    > > What I have in mind as a hobby project this year is a chess program for
    > > PC/GEOS, OmniGo, DOS, OS/2 and eComStation (eCS) platforms.
    > >
    > > I already have an original 2.1 SDK for OmniGo, but as far as I can see
    > > it's not entirely suitable for PC/GEOS development (for example, the 2.1
    > > version doesn't seem to have an EC version of PC/GEOS for debugging and
    > > I don't think the documentation covers all aspects of PC/GEOS).
    > >
    > > I couldn't make use of any SDK that *isn't* DOS-based. I'm hoping that
    > > a 2.0 SDK would be OK for developing a chess program that would work on
    > > any version of PC/GEOS, as I don't think I'd be using any libraries etc.
    > > that wouldn't be common on every PC/GEOS version from Ensemble 2.01 to
    > > NDO R3.2a, NDO 2000, Breadbox Ensemble etc.
    > >
    > > I'd be using OS/2 or eCS as the OS on my development machine so the
    > > DOS-based 2.0 SDK would seem suitable for the PC/GEOS side of things.
    > > I've got Borland C++ 4.52 to go with the SDK and will probably also use
    > > OpenWatcom 1.2, as it has an excellent IDE that runs natively under OS/2
    > > and eCS. I could also use OpenWatcom for developing the OS/2, eCS and
    > > DOS versions.
    > >
    > > Before anyone gets too excited, I would mention that the last time I did
    > > any kind of programming in C was about ten years ago. I've also never
    > > programmed for PC/GEOS, OmniGo etc. before but I'm keen to give it a
    > > go. I do know a reasonable amount about chess programming concepts
    > > though and have an international chess rating, so that might compensate
    > > a little for my rusty/average programming skills.
    > >
    > > My goal is to create a fairly "serious" chess program, rather than one
    > > that barely plays legal chess - that's the idea, anyway!
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Cameron

  4. Re: GEOS 2.0 SDK

    Hi again Edward

    I just double checked www.tvakatter.org, the SDK I need isn't there. Of
    the four downloads one is for a cutdown Borland C (already have full
    version), the second is device driver documentation (don't need that)
    and the other two are for an NT-based Nokia SDK (which I can't use under
    OS/2). I did find a sort of hybrid 2.0 SDK updated with a Nokia SDK on
    another site, but that was in German and zipped from an installed hard
    drive. I'll have to keep looking. Thanks anyway.

    Regards

    Cameron

    Edward wrote:

    > Hi Cameron,
    >
    > Look at www.tvakatter.org under Downloads\ SDK
    >
    > Edward
    >
    > "stonebank1" schreef in bericht
    > > Hello all
    > >
    > > Does anyone have an original Geoworks 2.0 SDK that they no longer use or
    > > need? If so, I'd be happy to pay something for an original CD.
    > >
    > > What I have in mind as a hobby project this year is a chess program for
    > > PC/GEOS, OmniGo, DOS, OS/2 and eComStation (eCS) platforms.
    > >
    > > I already have an original 2.1 SDK for OmniGo, but as far as I can see
    > > it's not entirely suitable for PC/GEOS development (for example, the 2.1
    > > version doesn't seem to have an EC version of PC/GEOS for debugging and
    > > I don't think the documentation covers all aspects of PC/GEOS).
    > >
    > > I couldn't make use of any SDK that *isn't* DOS-based. I'm hoping that
    > > a 2.0 SDK would be OK for developing a chess program that would work on
    > > any version of PC/GEOS, as I don't think I'd be using any libraries etc.
    > > that wouldn't be common on every PC/GEOS version from Ensemble 2.01 to
    > > NDO R3.2a, NDO 2000, Breadbox Ensemble etc.
    > >
    > > I'd be using OS/2 or eCS as the OS on my development machine so the
    > > DOS-based 2.0 SDK would seem suitable for the PC/GEOS side of things.
    > > I've got Borland C++ 4.52 to go with the SDK and will probably also use
    > > OpenWatcom 1.2, as it has an excellent IDE that runs natively under OS/2
    > > and eCS. I could also use OpenWatcom for developing the OS/2, eCS and
    > > DOS versions.
    > >
    > > Before anyone gets too excited, I would mention that the last time I did
    > > any kind of programming in C was about ten years ago. I've also never
    > > programmed for PC/GEOS, OmniGo etc. before but I'm keen to give it a
    > > go. I do know a reasonable amount about chess programming concepts
    > > though and have an international chess rating, so that might compensate
    > > a little for my rusty/average programming skills.
    > >
    > > My goal is to create a fairly "serious" chess program, rather than one
    > > that barely plays legal chess - that's the idea, anyway!
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Cameron

  5. Re: GEOS 2.0 SDK

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:00:19 +1100, stonebank1
    wrote:

    >I just double checked www.tvakatter.org, the SDK I need isn't there. Of
    >the four downloads one is for a cutdown Borland C (already have full
    >version), the second is device driver documentation (don't need that)
    >and the other two are for an NT-based Nokia SDK (which I can't use under
    >OS/2). I did find a sort of hybrid 2.0 SDK updated with a Nokia SDK on
    >another site, but that was in German and zipped from an installed hard
    >drive. I'll have to keep looking. Thanks anyway.

    Have you found something you can use? I think this chess program
    sounds cool, so I hope someone can help you get hands of a SDK you can
    use. Maybe if you write directly to Breadbox they can help you there.
    I think the SDK NewDeal did sell was dos-based, so there must be some
    who can help you out there.

    --
    Thomas L. Christensen - Horsens, Denmark

  6. Re: GEOS 2.0 SDK

    stonebank1 wrote:
    > Hi again Edward
    >
    > I just double checked www.tvakatter.org, the SDK I need isn't there. Of
    > the four downloads one is for a cutdown Borland C (already have full
    > version), the second is device driver documentation (don't need that)
    > and the other two are for an NT-based Nokia SDK (which I can't use under
    > OS/2). I did find a sort of hybrid 2.0 SDK updated with a Nokia SDK on
    > another site, but that was in German and zipped from an installed hard
    > drive. I'll have to keep looking. Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Cameron

    Hi,

    I really recomend the hybrid SDK. I am not really 100% into what is in
    that SDK Version but it sounds much like my wrangled installation. Don't
    worry about the lack of installation routines :-) you only need some
    paths to compiler and you're set anyway.

    However it is not really very easy to learn programming for GEOS.
    Actually it is a decent step up compared to most systems. not so much
    because it is overcomplicated but because it has so little sample code
    and is generally speaking subotimally documented... alas there is no
    more knowledgebase arround etc... but you'll find folks in here vrey
    friendly and helpfull.

    If there ever would be a decent code-editor with autocomplete, very good
    documentation, (almost) errorfree header files and plenty of samples
    you'd love it. Ok, memory management is not pretty either... ;-)

    Dom

  7. Re: GEOS 2.0 SDK

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:05:27 +0100, Dominique Vocat
    wrote:

    >However it is not really very easy to learn programming for GEOS.
    >Actually it is a decent step up compared to most systems. not so much
    >because it is overcomplicated but because it has so little sample code
    >and is generally speaking subotimally documented... alas there is no
    >more knowledgebase arround etc... but you'll find folks in here vrey
    >friendly and helpfull.
    >
    >If there ever would be a decent code-editor with autocomplete, very good
    >documentation, (almost) errorfree header files and plenty of samples
    >you'd love it. Ok, memory management is not pretty either... ;-)

    In other words; you love it? :-)

    --
    Thomas

+ Reply to Thread