Results 1 to 20 of 48

  1. GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

  2. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    LOL! Wow! Comes with a FLOPPY DRIVE!!!

    "alex-zop" wrote in message
    news:402A7FA7.B1E9425A@web.de...
    > http://www.hitechcafe.com/eshop/prod...+pc&dept_id=14

  3. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:47:31 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

    >LOL! Wow! Comes with a FLOPPY DRIVE!!!

    This might be actually quite useful. Good idea!

    Holger

  4. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    i still use my floppy drive.. it is hth most convenient way to get any
    data from one pc to the next as long as the data fits on the floppy..

    my ls-120 is the next easiest drive to use since it is just a super high
    capacity floppy disk.. but unfortunately, not many other pcs have such
    a thing..

    hyubso

    Holger Laux wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:47:31 GMT, "Bob" wrote:
    >

    >>LOL! Wow! Comes with a FLOPPY DRIVE!!!

    > This might be actually quite useful. Good idea!
    >

    > Holger

  5. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > i still use my floppy drive.. it is hth most convenient way to get any
    > data from one pc to the next as long as the data fits on the floppy..
    >

    > my ls-120 is the next easiest drive to use since it is just a super high
    > capacity floppy disk.. but unfortunately, not many other pcs have such
    > a thing..
    >
    > hyubso

    Mini CD-RW with 180MB capacity is the new floppy. Its rare to find a PC
    without a CD-ROM, unless you have a legacy PC.

  6. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    th cdrw disk or cdr disk will never be as easy to use as a floppy or
    ls-120 disk..

    Pat wrote:
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>i still use my floppy drive.. it is hth most convenient way to get any
    >>data from one pc to the next as long as the data fits on the floppy..
    >>

    >>my ls-120 is the next easiest drive to use since it is just a super high
    >>capacity floppy disk.. but unfortunately, not many other pcs have such
    >>a thing..
    >>
    >>hyubso

    > Mini CD-RW with 180MB capacity is the new floppy. Its rare to find a PC
    > without a CD-ROM, unless you have a legacy PC.

  7. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Floppies are evil! Of no use, and terrible virus spreaders. Floppies are as
    useless as laser-discs.

    "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:47:31 GMT, "Bob" wrote:
    >
    > >LOL! Wow! Comes with a FLOPPY DRIVE!!!

    > This might be actually quite useful. Good idea!
    >

    > Holger

  8. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > i still use my floppy drive.. > hyubso

    that's a shame.

  9. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    LOL! You never fail to impress me with your stupidity!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > th cdrw disk or cdr disk will never be as easy to use as a floppy or
    > ls-120 disk..
    >

    > Pat wrote:
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>i still use my floppy drive.. it is hth most convenient way to get any
    > >>data from one pc to the next as long as the data fits on the floppy..
    > >>

    > >>my ls-120 is the next easiest drive to use since it is just a super high
    > >>capacity floppy disk.. but unfortunately, not many other pcs have such
    > >>a thing..
    > >>
    > >>hyubso

    > > Mini CD-RW with 180MB capacity is the new floppy. Its rare to find a PC
    > > without a CD-ROM, unless you have a legacy PC.

  10. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    i can't help it..

    it is easier than anything else and i am too lazy to do more work than
    necessary to get a job done.

    Bob wrote:
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>i still use my floppy drive.. > hyubso

    > that's a shame.

  11. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    email also is a terrible virus spreader.. in fact, viruses are media
    agnostic and love to use any and all media to spread..

    Bob wrote:
    > Floppies are evil! Of no use, and terrible virus spreaders. Floppies are as
    > useless as laser-discs.
    >
    > "Holger Laux" wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:47:31 GMT, "Bob" wrote:
    >>

    >>>LOL! Wow! Comes with a FLOPPY DRIVE!!!

    >>This might be actually quite useful. Good idea!
    >>

    >>Holger

  12. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > th cdrw disk or cdr disk will never be as easy to use as a floppy or
    > ls-120 disk..

    Yes, a floppy is easy to use, but its capacity is ridiculously too small. In
    addition, floppies are fragile and prone to excessive wear. Not considered
    robust enough for trusting data. While optical media is a big step forward.
    If Mt. Rainer becomes common to all Operating Systems, then CD's will have
    succeeded. In the interim, I rarely use my floppy drive.

  13. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >Floppies are evil! Of no use, and terrible virus spreaders. Floppies are
    >as useless as laser-discs.

    I still find them useful as emergency tools (I use Partition Magic and
    Drive Image from floppy at times, though I normally boot to a DOS drive
    on the partition instead).

    They're also useful for those machines which don't have a BIOS that
    allows booting from CD (it's hard to do an OS installation otherwise).

    Viruses aren't really an issue unless one is using a system vulnerable
    to such, and on x86 that's pretty much limited to DOS and Windows.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

  14. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:54:00 -0600, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard
    Steiner) wrote:

    > [...]
    >They're also useful for those machines which don't have a BIOS that
    >allows booting from CD (it's hard to do an OS installation otherwise).

    And, IIRC, at least still Win98 SE requires a floppy (plus a floppy
    drive, of course) for an emergency boot after the system has crashed.
    Don't know whether the newer Windozes still deal with floppies.

    Reg's,

    Hans

    Fuer Online-Auktionen bezahlen?
    Ich bin doch nicht bloed...
    Die Alternative: http://www.hood.de

  15. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    USB flash drive, 128MB $20.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > i can't help it..
    >
    > it is easier than anything else and i am too lazy to do more work than
    > necessary to get a job done.
    >

    > Bob wrote:
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>i still use my floppy drive.. > hyubso

    > > that's a shame.

  16. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Only if your dumb enough to actually get a virus via email! So you most
    likely are, and do

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > email also is a terrible virus spreader.. in fact, viruses are media
    > agnostic and love to use any and all media to spread..
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    > > Floppies are evil! Of no use, and terrible virus spreaders. Floppies are

    as
    > > useless as laser-discs.
    > >
    > > "Holger Laux" wrote in message

    > >>This might be actually quite useful. Good idea!
    > >>

    > >>Holger

  17. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Boot from a CD! You DO NOT NEED an "emergency" floppy! YIKES!

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    newsMsLApHpvipC092yn@visi.com...
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    > spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >Floppies are evil! Of no use, and terrible virus spreaders. Floppies are
    > >as useless as laser-discs.

    > I still find them useful as emergency tools (I use Partition Magic and
    > Drive Image from floppy at times, though I normally boot to a DOS drive
    > on the partition instead).
    >
    > They're also useful for those machines which don't have a BIOS that
    > allows booting from CD (it's hard to do an OS installation otherwise).
    >
    > Viruses aren't really an issue unless one is using a system vulnerable
    > to such, and on x86 that's pretty much limited to DOS and Windows.
    >
    > --
    > -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie,

    MN
    > OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist

    Heaven!
    > Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    > See web site above for resume/CV and background.

  18. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    ls-120 disk, 128MB, $5.00

    alos, the usb flash drive requires drivers to be installed even on
    win98. so the flash drive i have requires that i take the driver
    installation cd with me if i want to use the usb flash drive on another
    pc with win98.

    .. not so the ls-120 or floppy drive

    well, i guess we could upgrade all those other pcs to a newer verison of
    windows.. that would make the usb flash drive easy to use.. but in the
    end we have a huge mountain of discarded PCs...

    Bob wrote:
    > USB flash drive, 128MB $20.
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>i can't help it..
    >>
    >>it is easier than anything else and i am too lazy to do more work than
    >>necessary to get a job done.
    >>

    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>"hyubso" wrote in message

    >>>that's a shame.

  19. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    oh, ha ha ha..

    my norton catches most all...

    plus email filtering leaves a lot on prodigy's servers, where they are
    dumped before ever reaching my pc.

    Bob wrote:
    > Only if your dumb enough to actually get a virus via email! So you most
    > likely are, and do
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>email also is a terrible virus spreader.. in fact, viruses are media
    >>agnostic and love to use any and all media to spread..
    >>
    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>Floppies are evil! Of no use, and terrible virus spreaders. Floppies are

    > as
    >
    >>>useless as laser-discs.
    >>>
    >>>"Holger Laux" wrote in message

  20. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    I didn't know Norton still made a DOS AV app.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > oh, ha ha ha..
    >
    > my norton catches most all...
    >
    > plus email filtering leaves a lot on prodigy's servers, where they are
    > dumped before ever reaching my pc.
    >

    > Bob wrote:
    > > Only if your dumb enough to actually get a virus via email! So you most
    > > likely are, and do
    > >
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>email also is a terrible virus spreader.. in fact, viruses are media
    > >>agnostic and love to use any and all media to spread..

    are

    > > as

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast