GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee - GEOS

This is a discussion on GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee - GEOS ; i never denied hardware is cheap.. what i have always stated, and still do, is that windows is a mess, too complicated in structure, too bloated, too hard to back up, to hard to find docuemnts, inconsistant in design, not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 48 of 48

  1. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    i never denied hardware is cheap.. what i have always stated, and still
    do, is that windows is a mess, too complicated in structure, too
    bloated, too hard to back up, to hard to find docuemnts, inconsistant in
    design, not a consumer product, impossible to maintain economically..
    and very time consuming to reinstall when it breaks

    windows hardware is cheap.. and you know what, geos based hardware is
    even cheaper, becasue you use less of it to accomplish the same tasks....

    Bob wrote:
    > so basically what your saying is state of art hardware is DIRT CHEAP. why do
    > constantly argue about it? No room for an old 16-bit DOS-based GUI when one
    > can get hardware such as your for nothing.
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>old is two years.. all i did was replace the duron 950 chip wiht an
    >>athlon 2ghz, and its fine.. i got the athlon chip at fry's with a
    >>motherboard for about $59.. then i sold the motherboard on ebay so i got
    >>the chip for practically nothing..
    >>
    >>and now i add to it whenever something is on giveaway after rebate, like
    >>80gb maxtor hard drives for $29 after rebate, or 256mb ddr sdram for
    >>free after rebate.., etc et cetc.. so i still have money left over for
    >>vacation..
    >>

    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>depends on what you do with a PC. i'll bet your "old" computer wouldn't

    > be
    >
    >>>of any value to me and millions of others. but your right. if u don't do
    >>>nothin' with an old PC it is just right.
    >>>
    >>>"hyubso" wrote in message

    > island,

  2. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Yes of course. My Documents is much too complicated.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > i never denied hardware is cheap.. what i have always stated, and still
    > do, is that windows is a mess, too complicated in structure, too
    > bloated, too hard to back up, to hard to find docuemnts,

    Yes of course. My Documents is much too complicated.

  3. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    of course, windows my documents is too comoplicated becasue [people
    expect their documents to go there, but they don't always go there..
    htis has beena dn alwyas willb e problem for windwos.. and it never was
    and never will be a problem for geos..

    Bob wrote:
    > Yes of course. My Documents is much too complicated.
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>i never denied hardware is cheap.. what i have always stated, and still
    >>do, is that windows is a mess, too complicated in structure, too
    >>bloated, too hard to back up, to hard to find docuemnts,

    > Yes of course. My Documents is much too complicated.

  4. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:20:17 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

    >The poverty stricken "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    >> Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    >> spake unto us, saying:
    >>
    >> >Boot from a CD! You DO NOT NEED an "emergency" floppy! YIKES!

    >> Only four of my eight systems here at home allow for bootable CDs, so I
    >> most certainly *do* need an emergency floppy.

    >That's so sad. State of the art PC's are under $400 with monitor and often
    >times a cheap inkjet.

    Does this mean that we (in this little commune) should give up our 286, 386
    and P75 computers that we are still finding useful and we don't have to pay
    an extra $400 of?

    And yes, we have modern computers too, it's just that there is no point of
    wasting good hardware when one finds it useful. Me thinks that you are the
    sad one here.

    Btw, you can always ship your not-so-state-of-the-art computers here and
    I'll even pay for the shipping if you don't need them. I'm sure we will
    find use for them.

    --
    ***/--- Sir Robin (aka Jani Saksa) Bi-Sex and proud of it! ---\***
    **/ email: sir@robsku.NO-SPAM.cjb.net <*> Reg. Linux user #290577 \**

  5. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:27:50 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

    >"hyubso" wrote in message
    >> ok, maybe not so nice.. but in 1995 i visited hawaii with 5 other
    >> friends.. stayed 5 days on maui, 2 in honolulu, and i spent a day
    >> driving around the big island by myself sic they weren't interested in
    >> exploring but rather wanted to .. whole trip cost me about ~$500, but i
    >> had to pay 35 bucks extra for the interisland flight to the big island,
    >> and then it cost me $18 for the 10 hour rental car i used to drive all
    >> around the island, visiting the volcanos, etc etc etc..
    >>
    >> sure glad i didn't spend that money on a computer!

    >Why not do both? $1,000 is only 2 or 3 days work.

    And if you don't really need a new computer? Still should buy one? Your
    funny.

    --
    ***/--- Sir Robin (aka Jani Saksa) Bi-Sex and proud of it! ---\***
    **/ email: sir@robsku.NO-SPAM.cjb.net <*> Reg. Linux user #290577 \**
    *| Me, Drugs, DooM, Photos, Writings... http://robsku.cjb.net/ |*
    **\--- GSM/SMS: +358 41 580 1715 ---/**

  6. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:42:54 GMT, holger.laux@bris.ac.uk (Holger Laux)
    wrote:

    >>> spake unto us, saying:

    >>> Only four of my eight systems here at home allow for bootable CDs, so I
    >>> most certainly *do* need an emergency floppy.

    >>That's so sad. State of the art PC's are under $400 with monitor and often
    >>times a cheap inkjet.

    >Why spend that kind of money? Get my the drop-out, trailing edge pcs
    >for free, I am just 5 years behind. My philosophy is: If it was good
    >enough 5 years ago, it's still good enough, I am not in a rush.

    So true. I used P200MMX from 1997 to 2002 and it worked just fine for my
    purposes. It took 5 years and I decided to upgrade - useful but still
    wasn't absolutely necessary at that point.

    >BTW, I am just trying to upgrade to Win98 and having a headache with
    >it. I'm glad at least the other machine is still running fine on DOS.

    I ran Win95 on my P200MMX but I got wiser and am using Linux now.

    DOS+GEOS on my 286, which also is very useful still today

    --
    ***/--- Sir Robin (aka Jani Saksa) Bi-Sex and proud of it! ---\***
    **/ email: sir@robsku.NO-SPAM.cjb.net <*> Reg. Linux user #290577 \**
    *| Me, Drugs, DooM, Photos, Writings... http://robsku.cjb.net/ |*
    **\--- GSM/SMS: +358 41 580 1715 ---/**

  7. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Richard Steiner schrieb:

    > There may not be many new ones, but it's just as "possible" now as it
    > was when DOS was in common use.

    Everything is possible. But is it likely? No. 99% of all current
    programmers are helpless if asked to write a DOS program.
    If there isn't an IDE that comes up with a mouseclick and does most of
    the basic job automatically, they are helpless.
    How likely is it that someone who is still able to write a new DOS virus
    will do so and hope that someone will still use DOS and exchange files
    so the virus has a chance to spread? I think, zero isn't too low a
    guess.

    > The DOS version of F-Prot is still updated and still available to users
    > for free, so there is no real reason to still use an older DOS scanner.

    The current updates of DOS scanners are done to have a tool for scanning
    windows without actually running it (with all viri active, perhaps
    blocking or fooling the scanner). The last update of a DOS virus in the
    current ID files was some years ago.

    > >And who cares about windows virii? They die the very moment they arrive
    > >on a DOS system.

    > If you pass files on to Windows users, *they* might have some concern.

    No, a windows virus cannot spread on a DOS system. And won't infect DOS
    files as it 'knows' it could not be activated from there.
    The only thing is that you can get an infected windows file and pass it
    to a windows machine. Well, if this windows machine isn't protected, own
    fault. If it is, so what?

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  8. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    Jens-Michael Gross spake unto us, saying:

    >Richard Steiner schrieb:
    >
    >> There may not be many new ones, but it's just as "possible" now as it
    >> was when DOS was in common use.

    >Everything is possible. But is it likely? No.

    I agree. I was just refuting the statement that it was impossible. :-)

    >> If you pass files on to Windows users, *they* might have some concern.

    >No, a windows virus cannot spread on a DOS system. And won't infect DOS
    >files as it 'knows' it could not be activated from there.

    True, but...

    >The only thing is that you can get an infected windows file and pass it
    >to a windows machine. Well, if this windows machine isn't protected, own
    >fault. If it is, so what?

    Perhaps I'm taking a lot upon myself (he said somewhat sarcastically,
    since it's a trivial task to scan all of the files I forward before I
    pass them on), but I still consider it my duty as a responsible member
    of the computing community to make sure that any file I pass to someone
    else (be it via diskette or via e-mail) is clean, even though I tend to
    use OS/2 and Linux almost exclusively here and am generally not at all
    vulnerable to the same types of virus/work threats that so many of my
    friends/family are.

    Yeah, they should be responsible for their own machines, but please be
    realistic. While my computer-literate friends and such certainly are
    responsible w.r.t. virus scanners and the like, I know a lot of people
    who have no clue at all if their virus scanner is up to date (or if
    they even have one).

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3