GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee - GEOS

This is a discussion on GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee - GEOS ; Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob" spake unto us, saying: >Boot from a CD! You DO NOT NEED an "emergency" floppy! YIKES! Only four of my eight systems here at home allow for bootable CDs, so I most certainly *do* need an ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

  1. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >Boot from a CD! You DO NOT NEED an "emergency" floppy! YIKES!

    Only four of my eight systems here at home allow for bootable CDs, so I
    most certainly *do* need an emergency floppy. The older IntelliStation
    Z Pros do not, my Micron PPro box does not, and the older Compaq K6 box
    my wife has does not.

    (And before you suggest it: no, a BIOS update won't fix that on those
    particular macines. They simply predate that functionality).

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

  2. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Bob schrieb:

    > LOL! Wow! Comes with a FLOPPY DRIVE!!!

    Well, looking onto some up-to-date systems, this is something you must
    explicitely write today, as it is no longer standard to include one.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  3. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    hyubso schrieb:

    > ls-120 disk, 128MB, $5.00
    >
    > alos, the usb flash drive requires drivers to be installed even on
    > win98. so the flash drive i have requires that i take the driver
    > installation cd with me if i want to use the usb flash drive on another
    > pc with win98.

    You forgot the drivers for the CD drive so you can actually read your
    driver CD
    Alas! You'll need a floppy to install the CD driver to install the USB
    drivers. Well, I'd stick with a floppy
    On a perfect system, you can send the files over the network or
    internet. But as msot systems are far from being perfect, a floppy is
    still the best way to go and avoid all problems. Except BOB trolling
    around

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  4. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Bob schrieb:

    > I didn't know Norton still made a DOS AV app.

    i didn't know that anyone is still able to write a new DOS virus that is
    not covered by the oldest virus scanners.

    And who cares about windows virii? They die the very moment they arrive
    on a DOS system.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  5. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    "Jens-Michael Gross" wrote in message
    > Bob schrieb:
    > >
    > > LOL! Wow! Comes with a FLOPPY DRIVE!!!

    > Well, looking onto some up-to-date systems, this is something you must
    > explicitely write today, as it is no longer standard to include one.
    >
    > Grossibaer

    About time!

  6. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    As usual ?????? The original poster MUST use a DOS for an OS with GEOS as
    the GUI. The original poster noted that Norton "caught" his email virus so
    he needn't worry bout virus. So I'm stating that I didn't know Norton still
    made a DOS AV app. And BTW, you're incorrect, (surprise), about virus being
    able to get caught by even "the oldest virus scanners." How silly.

    > Bob schrieb:
    > >
    > > I didn't know Norton still made a DOS AV app.

    > i didn't know that anyone is still able to write a new DOS virus that is
    > not covered by the oldest virus scanners.
    >
    > And who cares about windows virii? They die the very moment they arrive
    > on a DOS system.
    >
    > Grossibaer
    >
    > --
    > If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    > second faster,
    > we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  7. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    The poverty stricken "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    > spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >Boot from a CD! You DO NOT NEED an "emergency" floppy! YIKES!

    > Only four of my eight systems here at home allow for bootable CDs, so I
    > most certainly *do* need an emergency floppy.

    That's so sad. State of the art PC's are under $400 with monitor and often
    times a cheap inkjet.

  8. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >The poverty stricken "Richard Steiner" wrote in message

    Hey, being out of work does wonders for one's spending priorities. :-)

    >> Only four of my eight systems here at home allow for bootable CDs, so I
    >> most certainly *do* need an emergency floppy.

    >That's so sad. State of the art PC's are under $400 with monitor and
    >often times a cheap inkjet.

    So? My existing PPro systems do precisely what I want for nothing, and
    I don't share your irrational aversion to using floppy diskettes.

    Tell me... Do you sell PCs for a living? :-)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    See web site above for resume/CV and background.

  9. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    since when can't geos run in the win98 graphical environment, or on top
    of the dos that underlies win98?

    Bob wrote:
    > As usual ?????? The original poster MUST use a DOS for an OS with GEOS as
    > the GUI.

  10. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    if you already have a 500mhz windows box.. why blow another $400 on
    another windwos box, when you can spend the $400 on a nice vacatin ot
    hawaii or las vgas or sunny flordia or ????

    Bob wrote:
    > The poverty stricken "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    >
    >>Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    >>spake unto us, saying:
    >>

    >>>Boot from a CD! You DO NOT NEED an "emergency" floppy! YIKES!

    >>Only four of my eight systems here at home allow for bootable CDs, so I
    >>most certainly *do* need an emergency floppy.

    > That's so sad. State of the art PC's are under $400 with monitor and often
    > times a cheap inkjet.

  11. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    Jens-Michael Gross spake unto us, saying:

    >i didn't know that anyone is still able to write a new DOS virus that is
    >not covered by the oldest virus scanners.

    There may not be many new ones, but it's just as "possible" now as it
    was when DOS was in common use.

    While some virus scanners use heuristic methods to identify suspicious
    code segments, that might not catch all new viruses, and older signature
    files will only cover those viruses that were known at the time the sig
    file was created (they essentially look for known "fingerprints" or hex
    sequences).

    The DOS version of F-Prot is still updated and still available to users
    for free, so there is no real reason to still use an older DOS scanner.

    >And who cares about windows virii? They die the very moment they arrive
    >on a DOS system.

    If you pass files on to Windows users, *they* might have some concern.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    See web site above for resume/CV and background.

  12. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:20:17 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

    >The poverty stricken "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    >> Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    >> spake unto us, saying:
    >>
    >> >Boot from a CD! You DO NOT NEED an "emergency" floppy! YIKES!

    >> Only four of my eight systems here at home allow for bootable CDs, so I
    >> most certainly *do* need an emergency floppy.

    >That's so sad. State of the art PC's are under $400 with monitor and often
    >times a cheap inkjet.

    Why spend that kind of money? Get my the drop-out, trailing edge pcs
    for free, I am just 5 years behind. My philosophy is: If it was good
    enough 5 years ago, it's still good enough, I am not in a rush.

    BTW, I am just trying to upgrade to Win98 and having a headache with
    it. I'm glad at least the other machine is still running fine on DOS.

    Holger

  13. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Why on Earth would one do that!!!!! DOS & GEOS ONLY!!!!
    HOW_DARE_YOU_A_MICROSOFT_PRODUCT!!!!

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > since when can't geos run in the win98 graphical environment, or on top
    > of the dos that underlies win98?
    >

    > Bob wrote:
    > > As usual ?????? The original poster MUST use a DOS for an OS with GEOS

    as
    > > the GUI.

  14. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    Nice vacation for $400!!??!! Are you freakin' crazy? Oh wait....

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > if you already have a 500mhz windows box.. why blow another $400 on
    > another windwos box, when you can spend the $400 on a nice vacatin ot
    > hawaii or las vgas or sunny flordia or ????
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    > > The poverty stricken "Richard Steiner" wrote in

    message

    > >>Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Bob"
    > >>spake unto us, saying:

    > >>Only four of my eight systems here at home allow for bootable CDs, so I
    > >>most certainly *do* need an emergency floppy.

    > > That's so sad. State of the art PC's are under $400 with monitor and

    often
    > > times a cheap inkjet.

  15. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    ok, maybe not so nice.. but in 1995 i visited hawaii with 5 other
    friends.. stayed 5 days on maui, 2 in honolulu, and i spent a day
    driving around the big island by myself sic they weren't interested in
    exploring but rather wanted to .. whole trip cost me about ~$500, but i
    had to pay 35 bucks extra for the interisland flight to the big island,
    and then it cost me $18 for the 10 hour rental car i used to drive all
    around the island, visiting the volcanos, etc etc etc..

    sure glad i didn't spend that money on a computer!

    you can often stay in vegas at a nice strip hotel like the sahara for
    ~$35 per night Sunday thru thursday..

    when i stay with family in florida, i only pay for gas/airfare/busfare
    to get there.... but hten i have ot fix their windwos computers.. so my
    florida vists have become more work than vacation...

    Bob wrote:
    > Nice vacation for $400!!??!! Are you freakin' crazy? Oh wait....
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>if you already have a 500mhz windows box.. why blow another $400 on
    >>another windwos box, when you can spend the $400 on a nice vacatin ot
    >>hawaii or las vgas or sunny flordia or ????
    >>
    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>The poverty stricken "Richard Steiner" wrote in

    > message

    >>>That's so sad. State of the art PC's are under $400 with monitor and

    > often
    >
    >>>times a cheap inkjet.

  16. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > ok, maybe not so nice.. but in 1995 i visited hawaii with 5 other
    > friends.. stayed 5 days on maui, 2 in honolulu, and i spent a day
    > driving around the big island by myself sic they weren't interested in
    > exploring but rather wanted to .. whole trip cost me about ~$500, but i
    > had to pay 35 bucks extra for the interisland flight to the big island,
    > and then it cost me $18 for the 10 hour rental car i used to drive all
    > around the island, visiting the volcanos, etc etc etc..
    >
    > sure glad i didn't spend that money on a computer!

    Why not do both? $1,000 is only 2 or 3 days work.

  17. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    my old computer works just fine... that is the trouble with durable
    goods.. they last.

    Bob wrote:
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>ok, maybe not so nice.. but in 1995 i visited hawaii with 5 other
    >>friends.. stayed 5 days on maui, 2 in honolulu, and i spent a day
    >>driving around the big island by myself sic they weren't interested in
    >>exploring but rather wanted to .. whole trip cost me about ~$500, but i
    >>had to pay 35 bucks extra for the interisland flight to the big island,
    >>and then it cost me $18 for the 10 hour rental car i used to drive all
    >>around the island, visiting the volcanos, etc etc etc..
    >>
    >>sure glad i didn't spend that money on a computer!

    > Why not do both? $1,000 is only 2 or 3 days work.

  18. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    depends on what you do with a PC. i'll bet your "old" computer wouldn't be
    of any value to me and millions of others. but your right. if u don't do
    nothin' with an old PC it is just right.

    "hyubso" wrote in message
    > my old computer works just fine... that is the trouble with durable
    > goods.. they last.
    >
    > Bob wrote:
    > > "hyubso" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>ok, maybe not so nice.. but in 1995 i visited hawaii with 5 other
    > >>friends.. stayed 5 days on maui, 2 in honolulu, and i spent a day
    > >>driving around the big island by myself sic they weren't interested in
    > >>exploring but rather wanted to .. whole trip cost me about ~$500, but i
    > >>had to pay 35 bucks extra for the interisland flight to the big island,
    > >>and then it cost me $18 for the 10 hour rental car i used to drive all
    > >>around the island, visiting the volcanos, etc etc etc..
    > >>
    > >>sure glad i didn't spend that money on a computer!

    > > Why not do both? $1,000 is only 2 or 3 days work.

  19. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    old is two years.. all i did was replace the duron 950 chip wiht an
    athlon 2ghz, and its fine.. i got the athlon chip at fry's with a
    motherboard for about $59.. then i sold the motherboard on ebay so i got
    the chip for practically nothing..

    and now i add to it whenever something is on giveaway after rebate, like
    80gb maxtor hard drives for $29 after rebate, or 256mb ddr sdram for
    free after rebate.., etc et cetc.. so i still have money left over for
    vacation..

    Bob wrote:
    > depends on what you do with a PC. i'll bet your "old" computer wouldn't be
    > of any value to me and millions of others. but your right. if u don't do
    > nothin' with an old PC it is just right.
    >
    > "hyubso" wrote in message
    >
    >>my old computer works just fine... that is the trouble with durable
    >>goods.. they last.
    >>
    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>"hyubso" wrote in message

    >>>Why not do both? $1,000 is only 2 or 3 days work.

  20. Re: GlobalPCs on Hightech Cafee

    so basically what your saying is state of art hardware is DIRT CHEAP. why do
    constantly argue about it? No room for an old 16-bit DOS-based GUI when one
    can get hardware such as your for nothing.