Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP - GEOS

This is a discussion on Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP - GEOS ; Hello everyone, Nice to see most of us diehards are still around. I recently succumbed to some new hardware 2.4GHZ Celeron, with 768MB RAM and Windows XP Home but now am unable to get Ensemble to progress any further than ...

  1. Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    Hello everyone,

    Nice to see most of us diehards are still around.

    I recently succumbed to some new hardware 2.4GHZ Celeron, with 768MB
    RAM and Windows XP Home but now am unable to get Ensemble to progress
    any further than the Ensemble splash screen when starting up.

    Having found a copy of a doc I had previously downloaded headed
    "Running Ensemble Under Windows NT, 2000, XP" I diligently followed
    the instructions and even reinstalled CPU Killer, but alas to no
    avail.
    One of the confusing aspects I found was the article referring to NT
    directories and NDO directories, all of which don't not exist in Ens
    2.01 or XP Home. Also downloaded and installed the utilities from
    tvakatter.

    Can anyone please offer me any advice or documentation that is
    Ensemble 2.01 and XP Home specific.

    As always any and all contributions will be most appreciated.

    You are welcome to email me any advice at cmate@ozzienet.net.

    Regards

    Ray Firth

  2. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    Hi Ray, how the heck re ya??

    I'm pretty sure I have bad news for you. The only versions of Geos that
    I know for sure will run on XP on a very fast machine are Breadbox
    Ensemble and NDO2000. Maybe NDO98Rel3 will to, but I haven't tried it
    myself. I don't think the older Ensemble 2.01 can do it

    John ;-)

    .. wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Nice to see most of us diehards are still around.
    >
    > I recently succumbed to some new hardware 2.4GHZ Celeron, with 768MB
    > RAM and Windows XP Home but now am unable to get Ensemble to progress
    > any further than the Ensemble splash screen when starting up.
    >
    > Having found a copy of a doc I had previously downloaded headed
    > "Running Ensemble Under Windows NT, 2000, XP" I diligently followed
    > the instructions and even reinstalled CPU Killer, but alas to no
    > avail.
    > One of the confusing aspects I found was the article referring to NT
    > directories and NDO directories, all of which don't not exist in Ens
    > 2.01 or XP Home. Also downloaded and installed the utilities from
    > tvakatter.
    >
    > Can anyone please offer me any advice or documentation that is
    > Ensemble 2.01 and XP Home specific.
    >
    > As always any and all contributions will be most appreciated.
    >
    > You are welcome to email me any advice at cmate@ozzienet.net.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ray Firth

  3. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc, . spake unto us, saying:

    >I recently succumbed to some new hardware 2.4GHZ Celeron, with 768MB
    >RAM and Windows XP Home but now am unable to get Ensemble to progress
    >any further than the Ensemble splash screen when starting up.

    You may want to check the mouse settings (that could cause a freeze in
    an OS/2 VDM, anyway -- I've always found that "Generic" works best),
    and make sure that it has at least FILES=120 (if that type of thing is
    configurable in XP for DOS programs).

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

  4. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    John Howard spake unto us, saying:

    >I'm pretty sure I have bad news for you. The only versions of Geos that
    >I know for sure will run on XP on a very fast machine are Breadbox
    >Ensemble and NDO2000. Maybe NDO98Rel3 will to, but I haven't tried it
    >myself. I don't think the older Ensemble 2.01 can do it

    What -- another timing loop problem? :-(

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    See web site above for resume/CV and background.

  5. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    Ray,

    GEOS 2.01 will not run under Windows 2000 or Windows XP (Runs fine under
    Win98). In my setup, running W2K, I had to create a separate DOS
    partition to run GEOS 2.01, then set up a PQ Boot (Partition Magic) to
    access it.

    Also, any CPU over about 800MHZ will be too fast for Ensemble 2.01 to
    run. A fellow GEOS user sent me a little utility called CACHE.EXE that
    slows down the CPU while Ensemble loads. I put CACHE into a GW.BAT file
    that I run to load Ensemble in DOS.

    Finally, there is also a problem if you have more than 32M of RAM
    installed in the new computer. I would go to the Katter website
    (http://www.tvakatter.org/download.ph...Update&sortby=
    ) and
    download both the Ensemble 2.01 update AND the 32M update.

    Good luck. These fixes worked for me.

    Chip Reinhardt

    .. wrote:

    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >Nice to see most of us diehards are still around.
    >
    >I recently succumbed to some new hardware 2.4GHZ Celeron, with 768MB
    >RAM and Windows XP Home but now am unable to get Ensemble to progress
    >any further than the Ensemble splash screen when starting up.
    >
    >Having found a copy of a doc I had previously downloaded headed
    >"Running Ensemble Under Windows NT, 2000, XP" I diligently followed
    >the instructions and even reinstalled CPU Killer, but alas to no
    >avail.
    >One of the confusing aspects I found was the article referring to NT
    >directories and NDO directories, all of which don't not exist in Ens
    >2.01 or XP Home. Also downloaded and installed the utilities from
    >tvakatter.
    >
    >Can anyone please offer me any advice or documentation that is
    >Ensemble 2.01 and XP Home specific.
    >
    >As always any and all contributions will be most appreciated.
    >
    >You are welcome to email me any advice at cmate@ozzienet.net.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Ray Firth

  6. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    Chip Reinhardt spake unto us, saying:

    >Finally, there is also a problem if you have more than 32M of RAM
    >installed in the new computer. I would go to the Katter website
    >(http://www.tvakatter.org/download.ph...Update&sortby=
    >) and
    >download both the Ensemble 2.01 update AND the 32M update.

    I have 192MB of RAM in this box and Ensembly 2.01 doesn't have any
    problems under OS/2 (in a VDM) or under DOS.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    See web site above for resume/CV and background.

  7. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    > Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    > John Howard spake unto us, saying:
    >
    > >I'm pretty sure I have bad news for you. The only versions of Geos that
    > >I know for sure will run on XP on a very fast machine are Breadbox
    > >Ensemble and NDO2000. Maybe NDO98Rel3 will to, but I haven't tried it
    > >myself. I don't think the older Ensemble 2.01 can do it

    > What -- another timing loop problem? :-(

    WOW! What a surprise!! I am shocked. Shocked I tell you!

  8. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    "." schrieb:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > Nice to see most of us diehards are still around.
    >
    > I recently succumbed to some new hardware 2.4GHZ Celeron, with 768MB
    > RAM and Windows XP Home but now am unable to get Ensemble to progress
    > any further than the Ensemble splash screen when starting up.
    >
    > Having found a copy of a doc I had previously downloaded headed
    > "Running Ensemble Under Windows NT, 2000, XP" I diligently followed
    > the instructions and even reinstalled CPU Killer, but alas to no
    > avail.
    > One of the confusing aspects I found was the article referring to NT
    > directories and NDO directories, all of which don't not exist in Ens
    > 2.01 or XP Home. Also downloaded and installed the utilities from
    > tvakatter.
    >
    > Can anyone please offer me any advice or documentation that is
    > Ensemble 2.01 and XP Home specific.

    Well, XP is more or less NT 6.0.
    The main problem is the file system. If you install 2.x on a FAT drive,
    it might work unless you try to access NTFS drives. On an NTFS drive
    (which XP uses as its default filesystem), it won't work as there is no
    NTFS driver for the older GEOS versions.

    Grossibaer
    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,

  9. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    Chip Reinhardt schrieb:

    > Ray,
    >
    > GEOS 2.01 will not run under Windows 2000 or Windows XP (Runs fine under
    > Win98). In my setup, running W2K, I had to create a separate DOS
    > partition to run GEOS 2.01, then set up a PQ Boot (Partition Magic) to
    > access it.

    Maybe running it from a FAT partition under XP does the job.

    > Also, any CPU over about 800MHZ will be too fast for Ensemble 2.01 to
    > run. A fellow GEOS user sent me a little utility called CACHE.EXE that
    > slows down the CPU while Ensemble loads. I put CACHE into a GW.BAT file
    > that I run to load Ensemble in DOS.

    the exact speed limit depends highly on the processor type. Some have
    reported it working on 1.2 GHz, some failed above 800. I don't remember
    which one was an Intel and which one an AMD.
    Frontside Bus speed (100/133/200/333/400/whatever) and RAM speed
    (CL3/CL2.5/CL2)makes a difference too as well as the internal cache size
    of the processor.
    The use of CACHE actually slows down the processor to little more than
    just the frontside bus speed.

    > Finally, there is also a problem if you have more than 32M of RAM
    > installed in the new computer.

    If runnin gunder plain DOS, this is correct. It does not make problems
    in a windows DOS box, as windows only offers up to 32MB XMS or EMS to
    its DOS clients.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  10. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    Richard Steiner schrieb:

    > I have 192MB of RAM in this box and Ensembly 2.01 doesn't have any
    > problems under OS/2 (in a VDM) or under DOS.

    The VDM does not offer more than 32MB XMS and/or EMS to any DOS task. SO
    it makes no difference how much is really there.
    The original 2.0 XMS.GEO driver crashes if it is presented more than
    32MB of available XMS memory at startup.

    Grossibaer

    --
    If Microsoft would invest only 5 minutes to make Windows boot 1/1000
    second faster,
    we would save 30 working hours worldwide every day.

  11. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    Here in comp.os.geos.misc,
    Jens-Michael Gross spake unto us, saying:

    >Richard Steiner schrieb:
    >
    >> I have 192MB of RAM in this box and Ensembly 2.01 doesn't have any
    >> problems under OS/2 (in a VDM) or under DOS.

    >The VDM does not offer more than 32MB XMS and/or EMS to any DOS task.
    >SO it makes no difference how much is really there.

    Actually, a Warp VDM is limited to providing 16MB of XMS, 32MB for EMS,
    and 512MB for DPMI. Otherwise, your point is correct.

    >The original 2.0 XMS.GEO driver crashes if it is presented more than
    >32MB of available XMS memory at startup.

    Intersting. Thanks for the clarification!

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
    See web site above for resume/CV and background.

  12. Re: Help needed to run Ensemble 2.01 on XP

    In article <101fo40iecn3pef@corp.supernews.com>, John Howard
    writes:

    >I'm pretty sure I have bad news for you. The only versions of Geos that
    >I know for sure will run on XP on a very fast machine are Breadbox
    >Ensemble and NDO2000. Maybe NDO98Rel3 will to, but I haven't tried it
    >myself. I don't think the older Ensemble 2.01 can do it

    I am running 3.2a on Windows XP 1.2 MHz.

    I use CPU Killer by means of a batch file to temporarily slow it down enough to
    allow NDO load.

    I modify Geos.ini a la the version in 2000 [4.1.8] and also follow the
    instructions of John Howard. But 3.2a runs as nicely as 2000 [4.1.8].

    Dick

+ Reply to Thread