Jille Timmermans wrote:
> Probably some file descriptor to an unlinked file is still open.
> The space on disk will be freed when the last descriptor is closed.
> and because there is no file linked to the data, du can't see it.
>
> (iirc MySQL does this in some situaties when using temp-tables or
> rebuilding tables)
>
> -- Jille
>
> Stephen Clark wrote:
>> Why would du show 630k used by /tmp while df show 161M used
>> by /tmp?
>>

>> # du -sh /tmp
>> 630K /tmp
>> # df -h
>> Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
>> /dev/ad0s1a 94M 41M 45M 47% /
>> devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
>> /dev/ad0s1e 193M 161M 17M 91% /tmp
>> ... remaining fs info removed
>>
>> # uname -a
>> FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE
>>
>> I have run fstat /tmp and can't find any files that are using
>> the space that df is claiming as being used.

Thanks, I managed to find the offending process with fstat and kill it.
Now:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1e 193M 666K 177M 0% /tmp

$ du -sh /tmp
682K /tmp

Regards,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)