On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:52 -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> [This is my first time running this mail composing tool, tell me if
> it's doing something evil I don't see, ok?]
> I just got pointed at a URL, if you haven't, it's most likely worth
> your time to read this;
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._wayland&num=1
> It's discussing a new X11 project, going by the name Wayland, a RedHat
> project. Among it's primary goals is to simplify the server, and
> since making things simpler (and hence more reliable) has been a
> lifelong primary goal of mine, I'm listening. My goal here, beyond
> trying to be helpful in pointing out something clearly important, is
> to find out of anyone has done any research with a mind towards
> finding out the ultimate compatibility between FreeBSD and this new
> Wayland. I'm always worried that a Linux-person is going to
> "innocently" write something that requires us to become a Linux
> lookalike.

I haven't spoken to krh about it, but the userland component likely
won't be all that difficult to port. The more complex issue is all the
back-end kernel support that will be needed. GEM is on my list to do
sooner rather than later, but I haven't gotten it going yet. I still
have to scope out kernel modesetting, this may require even more kernel
work than gem. Once both of those features exist, it is probably viable
to port the code.

> Has anyone got any FreeBSD info on this? Because, if I get s nice
> loud shot of slicne in answer to this question, I'm going to have to
> try to fix it. I wonder if it's just something that's going to need
> porting (my devout wish), or are more extreme measures going to have
> to be considered? Just being a worry-wart.

Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (FreeBSD)