When trying to install FreeBSD 7.1-BETA2 (amd64) on a computer with the
motherboard ASUS M3A78-EM, the installation freezes with the error message:
run_interrupt_driven_hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config

Booting without ACPI, it still freezes, right after:
Trying to mount root from ufs:/ufs/md0.

I also tried 8.0-HEAD from
http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapsh...-JPSNAP/cdrom/,
which resulted in the same error messages.

To get it to boot (7.1-BETA2, though I assume 8.0-HEAD will also boot
:-)), deactivate firewire in BIOS (discovered after trying all sorts of
things). I have no use for firewire so it's not a problem, but maybe it
is for someone else.

If you want to install 7.0-RELEASE, you also have to deactivate USB (as
pointed out by this comment:
http://www.vanutsteen.nl/2008/07/21/...e/#comment-315).
I found it to be true for M3A78-EM too.