On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 21:14:42 +0100, Max Laier wrote:
> Hi,
> a thread on freebsd-stable@ [1] about problems with du(1) and
> compressed zfs filesystems got me looking for a possible solution.
> Attached is a diff for du(1) that adds two new options:
>
> -A to display the apparent size of the file instead of the used blocks.
> -B bsize to specify a custom blocksize. In particular one <512byte

That's nice

% Index: du.1
% ================================================== =================
% --- du.1 (revision 184513)
% +++ du.1 (working copy)
% @@ -60,6 +61,14 @@
% .Pp
% The options are as follows:
% .Bl -tag -width indent
% +.It Fl A
% +Display the apparent size instead of the diskusage.

'disk usage' should be two words here.

% +This can be helpful to find sparse files and when operating on
% +compressed volumes.

``This can be helpful when operating on sparse files or compressed
volumes'' maybe? The fact that a difference between plain `du' and
`du -A' output may be a nice hack to find sparse files is a cool
side-effect, but that's not really the main driving force behind the
change, right?

% Index: du.c
% ================================================== =================
% --- du.c (revision 184513)
% +++ du.c (working copy)
% @@ -86,27 +86,39 @@
% FTS *fts;
% FTSENT *p;
% off_t savednumber = 0;
% - long blocksize;
% + long blocksize = 0;

savednumber is one of the existing style bugs. We shouldn't copy it,
but initialize `blocksize' further down, near `depth = INT_MAX' and the
rest of the initializations.

> Thoughts?

FWIW, I like the new options