ftpd not starting - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on ftpd not starting - FreeBSD ; Hi, I unchecked the following line in /etc/inetd.conf: ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd - l but ftpd does not start. "netstat -a |grep ftp" does not show anything also. No firewall is active, hosts.allow is not in cause.... ...

  1. ftpd not starting

    Hi,

    I unchecked the following line in /etc/inetd.conf:
    ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -

    but ftpd does not start.

    "netstat -a |grep ftp" does not show anything also.

    No firewall is active, hosts.allow is not in cause.... :s

    when I try to connect from localhost, it gives:
    $ ftp localhost
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    ftp: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    Trying ::1...
    ftp: connect: Connection refused
    ftp>

    I am clueless.
    Thanks

  2. Re: ftpd not starting

    'Doh! I forgot to enable "inetd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.
    Sorry
    It works now.

    On Nov 1, 9:13*am, StephaneLeFou wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I unchecked the following line in /etc/inetd.conf:
    > ftp * * stream *tcp * * nowait *root * */usr/libexec/ftpd* * * ftpd -
    >
    > but ftpd does not start.
    >
    > "netstat -a |grep ftp" * does not show anything also.
    >
    > No firewall is active, hosts.allow is not in cause.... :s
    >
    > when I try to connect from localhost, it gives:
    > $ ftp localhost
    > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > ftp: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    > Trying ::1...
    > ftp: connect: Connection refused
    > ftp>
    >
    > I am clueless.