On 2008-Oct-31 11:23:53 -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
>I believe someone has told me on this list that the proper way to
>compile a linux program is to run configure
>--includedir=/usr/local/include --libdir=/usr/local/lib. Is that

Yes. The FreeBSD toolchain does not automatically include /usr/local/...
though the Linux one does.

> I've got a bunch of linux weenies trying to tell me their
>code isn't broken because I'm supposed to have headers where theirs

A very blinkered PoV... There are a whole pile of reasons why you
might use/want a different layout.

> They state that includedir is used by *their* project to locate
>it's *own* headers, so they never bothered to wire it up in
>Makefile.in....it gets ignored entirely.

Then their project is broken. These options are intended for use by
someone who is building the project. They are not for use by the
project itself.

Peter Jeremy

Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (FreeBSD)