On 2008-Oct-31 11:23:53 -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
>I believe someone has told me on this list that the proper way to
>compile a linux program is to run configure
>--includedir=/usr/local/include --libdir=/usr/local/lib. Is that
>correct?

Yes. The FreeBSD toolchain does not automatically include /usr/local/...
though the Linux one does.

> I've got a bunch of linux weenies trying to tell me their
>code isn't broken because I'm supposed to have headers where theirs
>are.

A very blinkered PoV... There are a whole pile of reasons why you
might use/want a different layout.

> They state that includedir is used by *their* project to locate
>it's *own* headers, so they never bothered to wire it up in
>Makefile.in....it gets ignored entirely.

Then their project is broken. These options are intended for use by
someone who is building the project. They are not for use by the
project itself.

--
Peter Jeremy