On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:11:23AM +0300, Ilya Bakulin wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:31:52 +0900
> Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 01:28:27PM +0400, Ilya Bakulin wrote:
> > > On my laptop (Dell Vostro 1310) I get _periodically_ (not always!) the same error:

> > > re0: PHY write failed
> > > re0: PHY write failed
> > > re0: MII without any phy!
> > > device_attach: re0 attach returned 6

> > This is known issue which happens on RTL8168C/CP and RTL8102E/EL
> > PCIe controllers. Would you try the patch at the following URL?
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/r...patch.20081021
> >
> > Even if the patch work for you, you should try serveral times to
> > make sure it really fix the issue.(e.g. completely shutdown your
> > box, unplug power cord and wait several mininutes and reboot.)

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Pyun YongHyeon

> I've applied this patch nine days ago and added "if_re_load=yes" in /boot/loader.conf (Earlier I used to kldload it only if I needed to). Since that time I've never seen errors. Thank you!!!

Please make sure you've (cold/warm) rebooted several times with
this patch. Just applying the patch and using it without reboots
doesn't necessary mean a working fix. Since it's hard to reproduce
the issue even on a system with problematic controllers I'd like to
have confidence in the patch.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon