I haven't had time to investigate, but after installing 6.4RC1 on a
machine I've been using with 6.3 for a few months, it installs
painlessly but on the first and subsequent reboots you see

BTX Loader 1.00 blah blah blah

At this point you have a hard refreeze -- no keyboard control, however
I can reboot it from the Phantom card.

System: Rackable C2004, dual Intel 2.66 processors, 4gb RAM, disk
drive on built in SCSI port

Absolutely nothing special, boots and runs 6.2 and 6.3 without a flaw.

I'll have more time to investigate on Friday. Anything specific that
would be more or less useful to debug in particular?

Jo Rhett
and other randomness