Can't update system.. very strange! - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Can't update system.. very strange! - FreeBSD ; Hello, I'm new to FreeBSD! I was using Arch Linux for long time, which is very nice. Well.. here is the situation, I've installed the 7.0 release (amd64) to my MacBook C2D 3,1 Santa Rosa and everything was going nicely ...

  1. Can't update system.. very strange!

    Hello,

    I'm new to FreeBSD! I was using Arch Linux for long time, which is very
    nice. Well.. here is the situation, I've installed the 7.0 release (amd64)
    to my MacBook C2D 3,1 Santa Rosa and everything was going nicely and
    smoothly but I had to install the ethernet driver the Yukon/Yukon II
    Ethernet Adapter from Marvell because the system didn't recognize it and
    here is when the big problem came. I been following all the instructions
    from the install file:

    kldload if_myk
    ifconfig myk0 up
    dhclient myk0

    Then I did some pings to www.google.com and no problem so I wanted to update
    the system using pkg_add -rv but no way to get connected to the
    ftp. It says after a 1 minute or so, time out connection. Dns lookups are
    working but no ssh,ftp,telnet,http.. What is going on? I did a fresh install
    and I didn't touch anything on rc.conf. ipv6 is off, firewall is off. After
    googling for a solution I found that the problem could come from the adsl
    router that hasn't any "Domain name" on the PPPoE settings and FreeBSD seems
    to take care about this thing (no problem on macosx or linux). Using
    dhclient command, the output was:

    Bogus domain search list 15: domain_not_set.invalid.

    So I changed the settings on my Linksys ADSL2 Gateway (no firewall enabled)
    but nothing, even with the domain name set, no internet only pings allowed.
    Then I tried to use static ip but nothing, same problem. I really don't know
    what to do next or where to look. Any idea?

    Thanks,

    Miquel Guillamet
    --
    The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.

  2. Re: Can't update system.. very strange!

    Miquel Guillamet writes:
    > Hello,

    > I'm new to FreeBSD! I was using Arch Linux for long time, which is very
    > nice. Well.. here is the situation, I've installed the 7.0 release (amd64)
    > to my MacBook C2D 3,1 Santa Rosa and everything was going nicely and
    > smoothly but I had to install the ethernet driver the Yukon/Yukon II
    > Ethernet Adapter from Marvell because the system didn't recognize it and
    > here is when the big problem came. I been following all the instructions
    > from the install file:

    > kldload if_myk
    > ifconfig myk0 up
    > dhclient myk0

    > Then I did some pings to www.google.com and no problem so I wanted to update
    > the system using pkg_add -rv but no way to get connected to the
    > ftp. It says after a 1 minute or so, time out connection. Dns lookups are
    > working but no ssh,ftp,telnet,http.. What is going on? I did a fresh install
    > and I didn't touch anything on rc.conf. ipv6 is off, firewall is off. After
    > googling for a solution I found that the problem could come from the adsl
    > router that hasn't any "Domain name" on the PPPoE settings and FreeBSD seems
    > to take care about this thing (no problem on macosx or linux). Using
    > dhclient command, the output was:

    > Bogus domain search list 15: domain_not_set.invalid.

    > So I changed the settings on my Linksys ADSL2 Gateway (no firewall enabled)
    > but nothing, even with the domain name set, no internet only pings allowed.
    > Then I tried to use static ip but nothing, same problem. I really don't know
    > what to do next or where to look. Any idea?

    Can you paste the output of following commands here ?

    % netstat -rn
    % cat /etc/resolv.conf
    % fetch http://www.freebsd.org/

    It seems something is messed up with your DNS or default route or maybe
    your router's firewall.

    Thanks
    Ashish Shukla
    --
    () ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML e-mail
    % dig +short cname cdac.in @::1

+ Reply to Thread