Re: ThinkPad 3GHz [[ alledgedly]] - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: ThinkPad 3GHz [[ alledgedly]] - FreeBSD ; On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:27:03PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote: > On 2008-Oct-10 16:43:17 -0700, Gary Kline wrote: > > I just bought the last pre-Lenovo [?] IBM ThinkPad. I would have > > much preferred the computer *without* ...

  1. Re: ThinkPad 3GHz [[ alledgedly]]

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:27:03PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
    > On 2008-Oct-10 16:43:17 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
    > > I just bought the last pre-Lenovo [?] IBM ThinkPad. I would have
    > > much preferred the computer *without* an OS, but hell will freeze
    > > over before that happens. Nutshell, it's got XP on it and I'd
    > > like to know if I can scrape it off and either give or sell it.

    > It should have either been supplied with recovery disks or have
    > embedded software that will allow you to build recovery disks.

    This is an old (2005) l'top; used. The place I bought it is in
    Canada. I aked the dealer if he could remove it. He said:
    "Write 'No OS wanted' in the comment section." Which I did,
    naturally. I wrote this guy a polite letter expressing my
    dissatisfaction.

    Zip. No reply. --Of course with the global house-of-cards
    economy what it is, he wasn't going to say *anything*.

    > Unfortunately, the latter mechanism will require you to complete the
    > XP install process before you can create the recovery disks. Also, my
    > understanding (IANAL and TINLA) is that the XP license you have is not
    > transferrable so you would not be able to legally give/sell it to
    > someone else and I also believe the license key is linked to the
    > hardware configuration and may not work on (eg) a whitebox desktop. I
    > suggest you read the fine print in the EULA before attempting to sell
    > it.

    There was nothing but the computer and the cords. Transformer.
    Zero booklets, zero docs. I can probably find a DOS program to
    extract the key for this year XP, but if is illegal to sell,
    well, that how the world turns... .

    > > So: should I just drop in 7.1-R or Ubuntu-XYZ over the Windows
    > > or what? The ONLY use I'd ever have to use W is to play my
    > > French CD's. O/wise it's useless.

    > Your other approach is to shrink the XP partition (Knoppix includes
    > suitable tools or you can search the Internet) and put FreeBSD (or
    > Ubuntu - but this is a FreeBSD list) on the rest of the disk. I used
    > this approach on a HP laptop and managed to shoe-horn XP into 5GB
    > (though if you actually want to use it, you'd be better off with a
    > bit more space).

    thanks for your input....

    --
    Gary Kline kline@thought.org http://www.thought.org Public Service Unix
    http://jottings.thought.org http://transfinite.thought.org

  2. Re: ThinkPad 3GHz [[ alledgedly]]

    On 2008-Oct-11 01:31:36 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
    > This is an old (2005) l'top; used.

    In which case, it probably shouldn't have come with an OS.

    > Zero booklets, zero docs. I can probably find a DOS program to
    > extract the key for this year XP, but if is illegal to sell,
    > well, that how the world turns... .

    Normally, there would be a Microsoft sticker on the computer that is
    both the "proof of license" and gives the license key.

    --
    Peter Jeremy

+ Reply to Thread