Re: can not wake on lan after halt -p (or shutdown -p now) onreleng_7 and releng_7_0 - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: can not wake on lan after halt -p (or shutdown -p now) onreleng_7 and releng_7_0 - FreeBSD ; On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:41:59AM +0800, David Adam wrote: > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Georgi Iovchev wrote: > > I have a shutdown problem. I have a machine with gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R > > motherboard. Integrated network card ...

  1. Re: can not wake on lan after halt -p (or shutdown -p now) onreleng_7 and releng_7_0

    On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:41:59AM +0800, David Adam wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Georgi Iovchev wrote:
    > > I have a shutdown problem. I have a machine with gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
    > > motherboard. Integrated network card is Realtek 8111B.
    > > I can not wake the computer after I shutdown it from FreeBSD.
    > > It is a dualboot system - windows xp and freebsd. If I shutdown the
    > > computer from windows - later I can wake it up with magic packet. Even
    > > if i shutdown the machine on the boot menu with the power button - than
    > > later I can wake on lan. The only situation where I CANNOT wake it is
    > > when I shutdown the machine from freebsd (halt -p).
    > >
    > > First I tested with 7.0-RELEASE-p5 amd64 (RELENG_7_0) and than I
    > > upgraded to 7.1 PRERELASE amd64 (RELENG_7). I also tested with two
    > > network cards - the integrated one Realtek 8111B and another one Intel
    > > PRO1000PT PCI-E with WOL enabled.
    > >
    > > With both nics and both freebsd versions the situation is the same -
    > > after shutdown from bsd the computer is not able to wake on lan. The
    > > indication on the switch port says that after shut down there is
    > > active link.

    > I have a similar problem with an Intel SR1200 Pentium 3-class system,
    > using fxp(4) cards, although I haven't yet tried the `halt -p` command.

    fxp(4) should be taught to support WOL. Also note, not all fxp(4)
    hardwares support WOL.

    > I was discussing WoL with a colleague recently and he suggested that on
    > some Linux systems he needed to use `ethtool -s eth0 wol g` on every boot
    > to maintain the WoL status.

    In FreeBSD this is controlled by ifconfig(8) and WOL implementation
    is up to driver writer. Some controllers require special
    configuration to make WOL work but I think re(4) should have no such
    issue as one of hardest part of WOL is handled by firmware on RealTek
    controllers(You don't need to reestablish a 10/100Mbps link).

    > >From the ethtool(1) manpage:

    > wol p|u|m|b|a|g|s|d...
    > Set Wake-on-LAN options. Not all devices support this.
    > g Wake on MagicPacket(tm)
    >
    > >From my reading, this might be necessary if the driver clears the flag

    > during initialisation of the card.
    >
    > kern/83807 was filed to fix this issue for sis(4), but was never
    > committed. However, work is apparently being done in 8-CURRENT to support
    > exposing the WoL settings to ifconfig: see
    > http://wiki.freebsd.org/WakeOnLan . Until that work lands in a release, I
    > think we're out of luck.

    If I had sis(4) hardware I would have written WOL support code.
    The patch in the PR needs minor modifications but it requires real
    hardware to test the WOL functionality. Maybe PR submitter can do
    that.

    --
    Regards,
    Pyun YongHyeon

  2. Re: can not wake on lan after halt -p (or shutdown -p now) onreleng_7 and releng_7_0

    On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 03:56:33PM +0900, To David Adam wrote:

    [...]

    > > Both of the fxp(4) interfaces on my development system certainly support
    > > WOL, so although I'm no kernel programmer I'd be more than happy to test
    > > patches or provide developer access.
    > >

    > I have a bunch of fxp cards donated by andre@ so I guess I'm one of
    > the best one that can experiment WOL capability on fxp(4). Before
    > that expeimentation I guess I have to read documentation of E100 to
    > write a WOL patch.
    > These days I'm somewaht overloaded for paid work and other network
    > drivers so I can't promise but I'll try if I manage to find spare
    > time.

    See http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...er/089295.html
    and let me know how it goes on your fxp(4).

    --
    Regards,
    Pyun YongHyeon