Re: [FreeBSD] Fix for ServerWorks HT1000 in upcoming 7.1? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: [FreeBSD] Fix for ServerWorks HT1000 in upcoming 7.1? - FreeBSD ; > Did anyone who can trigger the data corruption has tried John's patch > and let us know if it worked? Not yet. My problem is that it's not that easy ... (at least for me, but maybe I'm missing ...

  1. Re: [FreeBSD] Fix for ServerWorks HT1000 in upcoming 7.1?

    > Did anyone who can trigger the data corruption has tried John's patch
    > and let us know if it worked?

    Not yet. My problem is that it's not that easy ... (at least
    for me, but maybe I'm missing something).

    The main issue for me is that I don't have a spare box
    running 7.x. All my FreeBSD boxes are running 6.x

    I've tried to make a new 7.1-BETA bootable ISO from the
    patched sources (make release), but failed ... this is the
    first time I've ever attempted this, and it seems that you
    cannot do that from a 6.x box (I have a full CVS mirror of
    FreeBSD, and a fresh checkout of RELENG_7).

    The next thing to do (which I already tried once, and that
    was also not an painless path) is to boot the box with
    FreeBSD-6.1 (amd64, no data corruption here) and upgrade to
    7.x patching the sources along the way. I need to find a
    free afternoon in my agenda to fit this ...

    I will get back with info as soon as I have done it.

    Fernan

  2. Re: [FreeBSD] Fix for ServerWorks HT1000 in upcoming 7.1?

    > On Wednesday 08 October 2008 06:15:15 am Fernan Aguero wrote:
    > > > Did anyone who can trigger the data corruption has tried John's patch
    > > > and let us know if it worked?

    > > Not yet. My problem is that it's not that easy ... (at least
    > > for me, but maybe I'm missing something).
    > >
    > > The main issue for me is that I don't have a spare box
    > > running 7.x. All my FreeBSD boxes are running 6.x
    > >
    > > I've tried to make a new 7.1-BETA bootable ISO from the
    > > patched sources (make release), but failed ... this is the
    > > first time I've ever attempted this, and it seems that you
    > > cannot do that from a 6.x box (I have a full CVS mirror of
    > > FreeBSD, and a fresh checkout of RELENG_7).

    > You can just grab the existing iso,

    OK

    > untar it into a directory,

    OK

    > build your own GENERIC kernel and replace the
    > /boot/kernel/kernel in the iso tree,

    Will I be able to do this using a 7.x checkout on a 6.x box?

    > then use mkisofs to build a new ISO. Just be sure that
    > once you've installed the box, you copy the updated kernel
    > onto the box somehow before you reboot from the installer
    > (you can use the fixit shell to help with this).

    Gotcha.

    > --
    > John Baldwin

    Fernan