RE: stable 7.0 and nslookup help command - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on RE: stable 7.0 and nslookup help command - FreeBSD ; Yes, thanx to all of you and your answers.. I'm just a dig user now, but.. The question now is: - if i want to implement /usr/share/misc/nslookup.help in nslookup (even ifnslookup is evil) how can i do that? I need ...

  1. RE: stable 7.0 and nslookup help command

    Yes, thanx to all of you and your answers..
    I'm just a dig user now, but..
    The question now is:
    - if i want to implement /usr/share/misc/nslookup.help in nslookup (even ifnslookup is evil) how can i do that?
    I need to know, i want learn this "fact" i will not use nslookup anymore, but i'm still curios HOW was implemented on older STABLE-5.5

    Thanx again :-)

    > To: rwatson@FreeBSD.org
    > CC: koitsu@FreeBSD.org; xernet@hotmail.it; freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
    > Subject: Re: stable 7.0 and nslookup help command
    > Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:44:22 -0700
    > From: oberman@es.net
    >
    > More importantly, dig(1) uses the standard resolver routines while
    > nslookup has its own. This has, in some cases, resulted in different
    > results from nslookup than for what the stub resolver returns which can
    > really lead one down the primrose path when troubleshooting.
    >
    > I consider nslookup to be evil. host(1) and dig(1) work well and I have
    > not seen any plans to deprecate host(1). It's just that host is a quick
    > lookup tool while dig(1) is a serious tool for DNS analysis and testing.
    > --
    > R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
    > Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
    > E-mail: oberman@es.net Phone: +1 510 486-8634
    > Key fingerprint:059B 2DDF 031C 9BA3 14A4 EADA 927D EBB3 987B 3751

  2. Re: stable 7.0 and nslookup help command

    On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 08:36:29AM +0200, xer xernet wrote:

    > Yes, thanx to all of you and your answers..
    > I'm just a dig user now, but..
    > The question now is:
    > - if i want to implement /usr/share/misc/nslookup.help in nslookup (even if nslookup is evil) how can i do that?
    > I need to know, i want learn this "fact" i will not use nslookup anymore, but i'm still curios HOW was implemented on older STABLE-5.5

    I believe this would be a question for the BIND folks, not for FreeBSD.
    I'm willing to bet they removed the feature in later versions of
    nslookup.

    --
    | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
    | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |

  3. RE: stable 7.0 and nslookup help command

    Ok ok guys :-)
    I'm satisfied.