Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook? - FreeBSD ; I have an Apple MacBook with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (November 2007 edition, cf. the Wikipedia article for specifications), and I have been considering switching to one of the free UNIX clones for some time now. I understand ...

  1. Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook?

    I have an Apple MacBook with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (November
    2007 edition, cf. the Wikipedia article for specifications), and I have
    been considering switching to one of the free UNIX clones for some time
    now. I understand that Ubuntu GNU/Linux is supposed to work well on this
    kind of machine, but I would rather use some variant of BSD if that is a
    viable alternative.

    I would therefore like to ask you whether anyone here has any experience
    with FreeBSD, either 7.0-RELEASE or any other version, that they would
    like to share so I might know what to expect if I choose to go through
    with this. I have some time on my hands the next couple of weeks, so I
    am prepared to spend some days tweaking things to work if it is worth
    the effort, but if it isn't, I might as well take Ubuntu for a spin or
    do a clean install of Mac OS X.

    Best regards
    Eirik W. Svela
    OpenPGP key ID 0x46DCA4C4

  2. Re: Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook?

    On Oct 4, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Eirik Wix°e Svela wrote:

    > I have an Apple MacBook with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (November
    > 2007 edition, cf. the Wikipedia article for specifications), and I
    > have
    > been considering switching to one of the free UNIX clones for some
    > time
    > now.

    Why?

    > I understand that Ubuntu GNU/Linux is supposed to work well on this
    > kind of machine, but I would rather use some variant of BSD if that
    > is a
    > viable alternative.

    MacOS X *is* a genuine recognized variant of BSD.

    > I would therefore like to ask you whether anyone here has any
    > experience
    > with FreeBSD, either 7.0-RELEASE or any other version, that they would
    > like to share so I might know what to expect if I choose to go through
    > with this. I have some time on my hands the next couple of weeks, so I
    > am prepared to spend some days tweaking things to work if it is worth
    > the effort, but if it isn't, I might as well take Ubuntu for a spin or
    > do a clean install of Mac OS X.

    You sound as if you just got the machine and haven't given MacOS X a
    chance. Give MacOS X a chance. Download (if its not on your MacOS X
    install DVD) X Code, and Apple X11.

    --
    David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net

  3. Re: Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook?

    >> I have an Apple MacBook with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (November
    >> 2007 edition, cf. the Wikipedia article for specifications), and I have
    >> been considering switching to one of the free UNIX clones for some time
    >> now.

    > Why?

    Might I suggest: DRM, Vendor lock-in, $128 upgrade every 2 years, and
    crippled debugging tools.

  4. Re: Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook?

    > You sound as if you just got the machine and haven't given MacOS X a chance.
    > Give MacOS X a chance. Download (if its not on your MacOS X install DVD) X
    > Code, and Apple X11.

    X11 is barely usable under Leopard. Apps crash regularly and
    full-screen doesn't work.

    He may simply want to be able to boot in to FreeBSD as well.

    Cheers.

  5. Re: Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook?

    Thank you for your reply, David.

    You seem to be answering a question I did not ask, but allow me to
    respond briefly in any case: I have been using the operating system
    since January, and I am full aware of its line of inheritance as well as
    the UNIX 03 certification, and I have no major beef with it for everyday
    purposes.

    However, for all its ease of use and outstanding graphical user
    interface, I still find that its crossbred nature makes for a somewhat
    untidy system when dealing with nitty-gritty UNIX tasks such as enabling
    and configuring the firewall, configuring the system for maximum
    security (the default file permissions allow everyone to watch what's
    inside everyone else's home directories, for instance), installing an
    application by hand and so on. I also much prefer the free software
    movement and its principles to Apple and its "principles".

    Now, could someone answer my original question?

    Regards

  6. Re: Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook?

    On 4 Oct 2008, at 21:00, Eirik Wix°e Svela wrote:

    > I have an Apple MacBook with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (November
    > 2007 edition, cf. the Wikipedia article for specifications), and I
    > have
    > been considering switching to one of the free UNIX clones for some
    > time
    > now. I understand that Ubuntu GNU/Linux is supposed to work well on
    > this
    > kind of machine, but I would rather use some variant of BSD if that
    > is a
    > viable alternative.

    Only used FreeBSD (and several Linux variations and Windows varieties)
    on my Macbook Pro, but none of these as the boot operating system. All
    of these do however run as expected in a virtual environment like
    Parallels.

    > I would therefore like to ask you whether anyone here has any
    > experience
    > with FreeBSD, either 7.0-RELEASE or any other version, that they would
    > like to share so I might know what to expect if I choose to go through
    > with this. I have some time on my hands the next couple of weeks, so I
    > am prepared to spend some days tweaking things to work if it is worth
    > the effort, but if it isn't, I might as well take Ubuntu for a spin or
    > do a clean install of Mac OS X.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Eirik W. Svela
    > OpenPGP key ID 0x46DCA4C4
    > "

    Ciao,
    Hans.

  7. Re: Is FreeBSD a suitable choice for a MacBook?

    Eirik Wix°e Svela writes:

    > I have an Apple MacBook with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (November
    > 2007 edition, cf. the Wikipedia article for specifications), and I have
    > been considering switching to one of the free UNIX clones for some time
    > now. I understand that Ubuntu GNU/Linux is supposed to work well on this
    > kind of machine, but I would rather use some variant of BSD if that is a
    > viable alternative.

    I have a MacBook running FreeBSD. IIRC I bought it in January 2008 so
    it's probably the same model as yours.

    > I would therefore like to ask you whether anyone here has any experience
    > with FreeBSD, either 7.0-RELEASE or any other version, that they would
    > like to share so I might know what to expect if I choose to go through
    > with this. I have some time on my hands the next couple of weeks, so I
    > am prepared to spend some days tweaking things to work if it is worth
    > the effort, but if it isn't, I might as well take Ubuntu for a spin or
    > do a clean install of Mac OS X.

    I have made a few notes here:
    http://borderworlds.dk/notes/freebsd-macbook.html

    I just used boot camp and did a pretty standard install. I would
    recommend installing a 7.1-BETA release to have the wired ethernet
    working from the beginning.

    --
    Christian Laursen