Installing from USB drive - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Installing from USB drive - FreeBSD ; In general, is it possible to install FreeBSD from CD-ROM using a USB plug-in drive? More specifically, I am thinking about picking up a Fujitsu LifeBook P1620 convertable tablet PC. It does not have a built-in optical drive, but Fujitsu ...

  1. Installing from USB drive

    In general, is it possible to install FreeBSD from CD-ROM using a USB
    plug-in drive?

    More specifically, I am thinking about picking up a Fujitsu LifeBook P1620
    convertable tablet PC. It does not have a built-in optical drive, but
    Fujitsu does list two external USB drives, one a Dual-Layer DVD Writer, the
    other a DVD/CD-RW combo drive. I submitted my question to their tech
    support and am awaiting an answer, but in the meantime I thought I should
    ask here, too.

    Besides the obvious question of whether or not the P1620 will boot from a
    USB optical drive, I wonder if the FreeBSD boot loader knows how to load
    the installation kernal from a USB drive. Then there is the issue of making
    this a dual boot system.

    By the way, the T1010 has a built-in optical drive, and the T2010 has it in
    the docking station. This makes the T1010 the best choice in terms of
    compatibility, but I like the smaller size of the P1620 and rarely use an
    optical drive. Too bad the P1620 is not like the Apple Air, which can use
    an optical drive in another computer on the network to install OS X and
    applications.

    Gary Dunn
    Honolulu
    Open Slate Project
    http://openslate.net/
    mailtosp@aloha.com

  2. Re: Installing from USB drive

    Manolis Kiagias wrote:
    > knowtree@aloha.com wrote:
    >> In general, is it possible to install FreeBSD from CD-ROM using a USB
    >> plug-in drive?
    >>
    >> More specifically, I am thinking about picking up a Fujitsu LifeBook
    >> P1620
    >> convertable tablet PC. It does not have a built-in optical drive, but
    >> Fujitsu does list two external USB drives, one a Dual-Layer DVD
    >> Writer, the
    >> other a DVD/CD-RW combo drive. I submitted my question to their tech
    >> support and am awaiting an answer, but in the meantime I thought I should
    >> ask here, too.
    >>
    >> Besides the obvious question of whether or not the P1620 will boot from a
    >> USB optical drive, I wonder if the FreeBSD boot loader knows how to load
    >> the installation kernal from a USB drive. Then there is the issue of
    >> making
    >> this a dual boot system.
    >>
    >> By the way, the T1010 has a built-in optical drive, and the T2010 has
    >> it in
    >> the docking station. This makes the T1010 the best choice in terms of
    >> compatibility, but I like the smaller size of the P1620 and rarely use an
    >> optical drive. Too bad the P1620 is not like the Apple Air, which can use
    >> an optical drive in another computer on the network to install OS X and
    >> applications.
    >>
    >> Gary Dunn
    >> Honolulu
    >> Open Slate Project http://openslate.net/
    >> mailtosp@aloha.com
    >>

    > If your BIOS can boot from a USB CD-ROM, you will be able to install
    > FreeBSD with no problems.

    Should.

    I've been able to boot from the USB CD-ROM but failed to install:

    http://www.freebsddiary.org/thinkpad-x61s.php

    FreeBSD 6.x and 7.x both failed. Eventually I succeeded with a docking
    station that contained a CD-ROM drive.

  3. Re: Installing from USB drive

    Dan Langille wrote:

    >> If your BIOS can boot from a USB CD-ROM, you will be able to install
    >> FreeBSD with no problems.

    > Should.
    >
    > I've been able to boot from the USB CD-ROM but failed to install:
    >
    > http://www.freebsddiary.org/thinkpad-x61s.php
    >
    > FreeBSD 6.x and 7.x both failed. Eventually I succeeded with a
    > docking station that contained a CD-ROM drive.

    I must have been lucky. All my recent laptops can boot / install FreeBSD
    from USB CD-ROM. I only need this on the eeePC however. I also have a
    desktop without an internal CD and regularly use the USB CD to install.
    I have not been so lucky with USB hard disks though. They will not boot
    on anything but my most recent machines.