options of configuration file - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on options of configuration file - FreeBSD ; Hello, May be these are beginner questions ... could you plz answer the following questions? I think "options" line and "device" line are in the configuration file, in order to support those features and devices. I see that sed script ...

  1. options of configuration file

    Hello,

    May be these are beginner questions ... could you plz answer the following
    questions?

    I think "options" line and "device" line are in the configuration file, in
    order to support those features and devices. I see that sed script will
    parse that file. Could you plz let me know what will be done in this phase
    and how these lines will be transferred into gcc define directives(in the
    case of options) and inclusion of source files for compilation(in case of
    device).

    I have seen lint in some Makefiles, but dont know why it was used. Why is
    lint used?

    The "device" line adds device support to the kernel. What exactly does this
    mean. A more basic question is: how the devices are detected initially by
    the FreeBSD with the aid of hardware and bios? I think this is a broad
    topic. Could you plz provide a link if there is any info, you know, in the
    net?

    Thanks,

    Srinivas

  2. Re: options of configuration file

    "Srinivas Srinivas" writes:
    > I think "options" line and "device" line are in the configuration file, in
    > order to support those features and devices. I see that sed script will
    > parse that file.

    No, it's a C program: config(8).

    DES
    --