FreeBSD-current on Acer Aspire One - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD-current on Acer Aspire One - FreeBSD ; Hello! Anybody is testing FreeBSD-current on the Acer Aspire One? I'm testing FreeBSD-current and NetBSD-current on it, to figure a best BSD option for it. I'm running away from any Linux-thing possibility for this machine, because I just can't cope ...

  1. FreeBSD-current on Acer Aspire One

    Hello!

    Anybody is testing FreeBSD-current on the Acer Aspire One? I'm testing
    FreeBSD-current and NetBSD-current on it, to figure a best BSD option
    for it. I'm running away from any Linux-thing possibility for this
    machine, because I just can't cope well with almost any Linux
    distribution.

    It seems that with the lastest ath_hal version, the Atheros wireless
    card works on the Aspire One. The wired card (re) works fine, CPU is
    proper recognized, SpeedStep works, sound works.

    But how about the SD/MMC card reader? Anybody has any clue? I've seen
    some patches flying around, but many of them were for Ricoh-based
    readers, and this machine uses a JMicron-based reader.

    Thanks in advance,
    Thiago.

  2. Re: FreeBSD-current on Acer Aspire One

    Ivan,

    I've tested the sound. It works, but when I plug a headphone, the
    output is played on both devices (internal speakers and the headphone).

    There is a PR[1] open, but I didn't tested Ariff's patch[2, 3].

    Cheers,
    Thiago.

    [1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=120144
    [2]
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htd...ry/005687.html
    [3] http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/hdac.c

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 16:00:55 +0200
    Ivan Voras wrote:

    > Thiago Luz Basilio wrote:
    >
    > > But how about the SD/MMC card reader? Anybody has any clue? I've
    > > seen some patches flying around, but many of them were for
    > > Ricoh-based readers, and this machine uses a JMicron-based reader.

    > Even Linux doesn't work with the card reader (I'm running Ubuntu on
    > mine) so don't hold your breath for the drivers.
    >
    > Does your sound work as it should with regard to plugging in
    > headphones?

  3. Re: FreeBSD-current on Acer Aspire One

    (Update)

    On lastest -CURRENT (cvs'ed on 10/05/2008), sound works correctly when
    I plug a headphone on the green jack.

    When I unplug the headphone, the sound output returns correctly to the
    internal speakers.

    Cheers,
    Thiago.