FreeBSD on laptops - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD on laptops - FreeBSD ; Hi all. I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop. I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process I'd like to know from the community what is the status for: 0. Core2 ...

  1. FreeBSD on laptops

    Hi all.

    I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
    I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
    I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
    0. Core2 Duo CPUs
    1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
    2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on laptops
    3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)
    4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)
    5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB

    And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    Reg Me Please wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
    > I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
    > I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
    > 0. Core2 Duo CPUs
    > 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
    > 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on laptops
    > 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)

    My understanding is that hardware acceleration for nVidia video cards is
    not available for the amd64 versions of FreeBSD.

    > 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)

    Available under CURRENT. I think there are backported patches available
    for STABLE, but I don't know how reliable they are.

    > 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB

    I have NOT been successful getting audio to work on the Dell Inspiron
    1525. So ....

    > And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
    > appreciated.

    .... if you want audio and all the other bells and whistles, don't go
    with the Dell Inspiron 1525.

    > Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Reg Me Please wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
    > I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
    > I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
    > 0. Core2 Duo CPUs
    > 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
    > 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on laptops
    > 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)
    > 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)
    > 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB
    >
    > And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
    > appreciated.

    You really need to tell us what make & model laptop you have, so people
    with the same or similar machines can comment. Otherwise, 'it depends'.

    cheers, Ian

  4. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    Il Thursday 02 October 2008 17:06:48 Ian Smith ha scritto:
    > On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Reg Me Please wrote:
    > > Hi all.
    > >
    > > I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
    > > I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
    > > I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
    > > 0. Core2 Duo CPUs
    > > 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
    > > 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on
    > > laptops 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce 8600M
    > > GT) 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)
    > > 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB
    > >
    > > And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
    > > appreciated.

    > You really need to tell us what make & model laptop you have, so people
    > with the same or similar machines can comment. Otherwise, 'it depends'.
    >
    > cheers, Ian

    ASUS G1s
    The (Linux version of) lspci says (sorry for wrapping):

    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory
    Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express
    Root Port (rev 03)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI
    Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
    Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1
    (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2
    (rev 03)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3
    (rev 03)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4
    (rev 03)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5
    (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI
    Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface
    Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE
    Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA
    AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600M GT (rev
    a1)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI
    Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN
    Network Connection (rev 61)
    07:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI
    Controller (rev 02)
    08:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev
    05)
    08:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host
    Adapter (rev 22)
    08:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter
    (rev 12)
    08:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)

  5. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 16:21 +0200, Reg Me Please wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
    > I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
    > I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
    > 0. Core2 Duo CPUs

    Full support, of course.

    > 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)

    Generally good support.

    > 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on laptops

    Generally good support, with some exceptions (mostly having to do with
    buggy ACPI, from what I understand).

    > 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)

    Excellent as long as you're using i386 kernels. Amd64 kernels don't yet
    have the support for the nvidia drivers.

    > 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)

    No idea. I know that my Atheros AGN chipset _isn't_ supported (it's a
    9000-series).

    > 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB

    USB, good. Audio, generally good, although the new driver in -current
    has some buggy spots remaining. Card readers, that depends. My
    cardbus-attached O2Micro device isn't yet supported, although I think I
    saw a potential driver go by on a list recently. I don't even know what
    i-Link is. USB support is generally excellent.

    > And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
    > appreciated.

    I never run anything else on my laptop. (Not counting work laptops,
    which run Linux because that's what work supports.)
    --
    Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com http://www.exit.com/
    Exit Consulting http://www.gpsclock.com/

  6. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:21:52 +0200
    Reg Me Please wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
    > I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
    > I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
    > 0. Core2 Duo CPUs
    > 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
    > 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on
    > laptops 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce
    > 8600M GT) 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)
    > 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB
    >
    > And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    maybe this link can help you a little bit http://tuxmobil.org/,

    but as the BSD community is conservative in the good sense as of the
    stability preference, it is possible that not all the new nice
    sparkling modern chipsets will work on BSD* either. From my point of
    view IBM Thinkpad is the best choice for BSD, but openSUSE 11.0 worked
    "Out of the Box" for me either.

    Cheers,

    --
    -vlado
    Vladimir Botka

  7. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 10:45:22AM -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:
    > USB, good. Audio, generally good, although the new driver in -current
    > has some buggy spots remaining. Card readers, that depends. My
    > cardbus-attached O2Micro device isn't yet supported, although I think I
    > saw a potential driver go by on a list recently. I don't even know what
    > i-Link is. USB support is generally excellent.

    I believe i-Link is one of the many names used for firewire.

    Regards,

    Gary

  8. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 10:45 -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:

    > > 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB

    > USB, good. Audio, generally good, although the new driver in -current
    > has some buggy spots remaining. Card readers, that depends. My
    > cardbus-attached O2Micro device isn't yet supported, although I think
    > saw a potential driver go by on a list recently. I don't even know
    > what
    > i-Link is. USB support is generally excellent.

    I believe i-Link is Sony's name for firewire(4) or IEEE1394. And as far
    I know it has good freebsd support, including video transfer over it,
    ethernet over firewire, and even kernel debugger/console over firewire.

    --
    Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
    vova@fbsd.ru

  9. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 10:45 -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:
    > On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 16:21 +0200, Reg Me Please wrote:
    > > Hi all.
    > >
    > > I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
    > > I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
    > > I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
    > > 0. Core2 Duo CPUs

    > Full support, of course.

    > > 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on laptops

    > Generally good support, with some exceptions (mostly having to do with
    > buggy ACPI, from what I understand).

    I believe two items above is badly compatible with each other from
    suspend/resume point of view.

    I have T60 ans still can't to resume system after suspend. There was
    some messages in list about success to resume of SMP IBM's system (like
    T60, T61) but I've failed to reproduce any of these.

    Probably somebody dig dipper in that field already ?

    --
    Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
    vova@fbsd.ru

  10. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
    > On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 10:45 -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:
    > > On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 16:21 +0200, Reg Me Please wrote:
    > > > Hi all.
    > > >
    > > > I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
    > > > I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
    > > > I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
    > > > 0. Core2 Duo CPUs

    > > Full support, of course.

    > ..
    > > > 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on laptops

    > > Generally good support, with some exceptions (mostly having to do with
    > > buggy ACPI, from what I understand).

    > I believe two items above is badly compatible with each other from
    > suspend/resume point of view.
    >
    > I have T60 ans still can't to resume system after suspend. There was
    > some messages in list about success to resume of SMP IBM's system (like
    > T60, T61) but I've failed to reproduce any of these.
    >
    > Probably somebody dig dipper in that field already ?

    The original message about SMP suspend/resume support with a patch to
    8-CURRENT was on 13 May 08 by Takanori Watanabe
    in freebsd-acpi, which worked on his ThinkPad X61. See the thread at:

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ay/thread.html

    I don't recall having seen any mention of progress since, despite having
    felt at the time that it seemed important for FreeBSD ongoing that this
    should work, especially in light of the general movement to more mobile
    platforms and the fast increasing predominance of multi-core laptops.

    That said, my fastest laptop is a Thinkpad T23 that suspends & resumes
    reliably, so I'm not even in a position to help test the code, let alone
    suggest that 'somebody should do something about it'

    There was also mention of a GSoC project for suspend-to-disk (hibernate)
    in -acpi on 03 Apr 08 but I've not heard if anything has come of it.

    cheers, Ian

  11. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:21:52 +0200
    Reg Me Please wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
    > I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
    > I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
    > 0. Core2 Duo CPUs
    > 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
    > 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on laptops
    > 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)
    > 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)
    > 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB
    >
    > And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I'm running FreeBSD 7-STABLE/i386 on Dell Vostro 1310 laptop.
    So:
    * Core2Duo CPU is well supported. powerd is able to adjust clock speed according to current system needs; hardware temperature monitoring (via coretemp(4) ) works pretty good.
    * ACPI works OK, though sometimes EC starts to behave strangely. It stops responding to battery _BST calls, so I have to descrease debug.acpi.ec.timeout in order to work comfortly... Vostro 1310 also has EXTREMELY buggy ACPIAML (200+ errors when trying to simply recompile ASL).
    * My GeForce 8400M GS is well supported by proprietary NVIDIA driver. Features like Tvin-View work nice, also driver adjusts GPU speed according to system needs. Hardware accelleration works well.
    * Audio subsystem works nice with recent snd_hda update, including microphone (Skype runs OK).
    * My O2Micro card reader is recognized by recent sdhci driver update, but it handles not all cards I have, and this code is neither in -CURRENT nor in -STABLE yet.

    --
    Ilya Bakulin

  12. Re: FreeBSD on laptops

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:08:19 +0200
    Rainer Duffner wrote:

    > Hey, that's good to know - thanks.
    > I assume, sleep/suspend2ram/suspend2disk doesn't really work - or does it?

    No, none of power saving modes work on Vostro 1310. hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state contains "S3 S4 S5", no S1 support. With nvidia.ko it says "device suspend failed", without nvidia.ko it enters S3 but never returns back.
    It's not big problem, though, at least for me :-)
    With acpi_video.ko it's possible to control LCD brightness, it's good :-)
    Remember, that there is no S3 support at all on AMD64. My opinion is that FreeBSD/i386 is an optimal choice for laptop, when there is no need for 4+ Gb of RAM.

    There is also Web camera present, but it's not supported by FreeBSD (it's UVC capable, aand FreeBSD doesn't have UVC support yet).

    --
    Ilya Bakulin

+ Reply to Thread