Infiniband status? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Infiniband status? - FreeBSD ; Dear Brook Davis, (Cc: Prof. Shigeta Yasuteru) My superior asked me what is the status of Infiniband on FreeBSD. My friend, Goto, Daichi told me that you are interested in Infiniband implementation and some information about what you have presented ...

  1. Infiniband status?

    Dear Brook Davis,
    (Cc: Prof. Shigeta Yasuteru)

    My superior asked me what is the status of Infiniband
    on FreeBSD. My friend, Goto, Daichi told me that you are
    interested in Infiniband implementation
    and some information about what
    you have presented in Asia BSD Con 2007.

    According to your presentation,
    http://2007.asiabsdcon.org/papers/P02-paper.pdf
    > 5 Thoughts on Future Clusters

    > As a result
    > we are considering both InfiniBand and 10Gb Myrinet
    > interconnects.

    Great to hear that!

    So currently underway and expect for future use?

    Any information is greatly appreciated.

    Best regards,
    -- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

  2. Re: Infiniband status?

    Hello Kip Macy

    Many thanks for your reply. I understand the situation.
    I'm not disappoint from that

    All the best,

    From: Kip Macy
    Subject: Re: Infiniband status?
    Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 06:33:52 +0000

    > Hi,
    > I'm afraid there is currently no IB support in FreeBSD. FreeBSD has an
    > iwarp driver for Chelsio's 10GigE cards and the kernel / iwarp side of
    > OFA RDMA stack. To support IB you would need to implement the IB side
    > of the OFA stack, finish user level RDMA support, and talk one of the
    > users of IB on FreeBSD (NetApp & Isilon) in to opening up the Mellanox
    > driver for a recent card. If you're open to the idea of iWARP it would
    > "just" be a matter of finishing support for user-level RDMA.
    >
    > I'm sorry to disappoint.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Kip
    >

    > On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Maho NAKATA wrote:
    > > Dear Brook Davis,
    > > (Cc: Prof. Shigeta Yasuteru)
    > >
    > > My superior asked me what is the status of Infiniband
    > > on FreeBSD. My friend, Goto, Daichi told me that you are
    > > interested in Infiniband implementation
    > > and some information about what
    > > you have presented in Asia BSD Con 2007.
    > >
    > > According to your presentation,
    > > http://2007.asiabsdcon.org/papers/P02-paper.pdf
    > >> 5 Thoughts on Future Clusters

    > >> As a result
    > >> we are considering both InfiniBand and 10Gb Myrinet
    > >> interconnects.

    > > Great to hear that!
    > >
    > > So currently underway and expect for future use?
    > >
    > > Any information is greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > > -- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

  3. Re: Infiniband status?

    Kip, good day.

    Was just passing by, but found an interesting point?

    Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:33:52AM +0000, Kip Macy wrote:
    > To support IB you would need to implement the IB side
    > of the OFA stack, finish user level RDMA support, and talk one of the
    > users of IB on FreeBSD (NetApp & Isilon) in to opening up the Mellanox
    > driver for a recent card.

    I was under impression that OFED provides drivers for Mellanox. At
    least I am using OFED 1.2 for Mellanox Arbel InfiniHost III, and I was
    under impression that even ConnectX cards are supported by the 1.3.x as
    well. Particularily, the ofa_kernel component of OFED build provides
    core, HW and ULPs kernel modules.

    I think that OFED sources can be taken and ported (at least partially,
    for example, the driver parts) to provide kernel drivers for the cards.
    Am I missing something?
    --
    Eygene
    _ ___ _.--. #

  4. Re: Infiniband status?

    Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 12:18:01PM +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
    > Was just passing by, but found an interesting point?

    ^^^

    Sorry, it was not a question, it was a statement. Precisely as
    P.A.M. Dirac said once at the scientific seminar, answering to
    the question "I don't understand your assertion !" )
    --
    Eygene
    _ ___ _.--. #
    \`.|\..----...-'` `-._.-'_.-'` # Remember that it is hard
    / ' ` , __.--' # to read the on-line manual
    )/' _/ \ `-_, / # while single-stepping the kernel.
    `-'" `"\_ ,_.-;_.-\_ ', fsc/as #
    _.-'_./ {_.' ; / # -- FreeBSD Developers handbook
    {_.-``-' {_/ #

  5. Re: Infiniband status?

    On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
    > Kip, good day.
    >
    > Was just passing by, but found an interesting point?
    >
    > Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:33:52AM +0000, Kip Macy wrote:
    >> To support IB you would need to implement the IB side
    >> of the OFA stack, finish user level RDMA support, and talk one of the
    >> users of IB on FreeBSD (NetApp & Isilon) in to opening up the Mellanox
    >> driver for a recent card.

    > I was under impression that OFED provides drivers for Mellanox. At
    > least I am using OFED 1.2 for Mellanox Arbel InfiniHost III, and I was
    > under impression that even ConnectX cards are supported by the 1.3.x as
    > well. Particularily, the ofa_kernel component of OFED build provides
    > core, HW and ULPs kernel modules.
    >
    > I think that OFED sources can be taken and ported (at least partially,
    > for example, the driver parts) to provide kernel drivers for the cards.
    > Am I missing something?

    No, but porting a driver from a much older OFA (as used by Isilon and
    NetApp) to the most recent OFA as used by FreeBSD is almost guaranteed
    to be much faster than porting from Linux.

    Cheers,
    Kip

  6. Re: Infiniband status?

    Maho NAKATA [chat95@mac.com] wrote:
    > > we are considering both InfiniBand and 10Gb Myrinet

    If you're interested in OS-bypass HPC with an emphasis on
    MPI, Myricom supports FreeBSD for our MX HPC stack. MX runs
    both over Myrinet and over 10GbE.

    Drew