On Tuesday 30 September 2008 20:32, Roland Smith wrote:
> My GELI encrypted home partition works fine on amd64 7.1-PRERELEASE
> (updated september 25th). I've been tracking stable since 7.0-RELEASE
> without problems.
>
> My custom kernel includes GEOM_ELI, GEOM_LABEL, GEOM_MIRROR and
> GEOM_PART_GPT and uses SCHED_ULE. Filesystem options are FFS,
> SOFTUPDATES, UFS_ACL and UFS_DIRHASH. The ADAPTIVE_GIANT and VFS_AIO
> options are also part of the kernel.

First, I get to the following:
if you have GEOM_PART_BSD in the kernel alone, attaching GELI at the boot time
works as expected. If you add GEOM_PART_MBR (so both GEOM_PART_BSD and
GEOM_PART_MBR are in), you face the problem i've described.
Second, i've tried to get kern.geom.confxml sysctl as Pawel suggested, but
with no lack. First, the whole XML dump doesn't feet the console buffer, so i
can't later extract it from dmesg; i've tried to dump it to some file, but
due to the fact everything is mounted -ro at the point /etc/rc.d/geli is
executed, i placed "mount -u -rw /" in the beginning of it. While that made a
trick and i got the dump (see below), the GELI partition attached
successfully (while instantly failed with "Cannot access ad0s1f (error=1)"
without remounting / -rw), so I guess remounting / read-write changed
something and such dump will be of no use:

ACD

acd0
1

r0w0e0
acd0
8796093020160
2048

MD

ELI

JOURNAL

VOL_FFS

VFS

ffs.ad0s1a
4

r1w1e1

MBR

msdosfs/WD Passport
4

r0w0e0

r0w0e0
msdosfs/WD Passports4
10924544
512

3
10924544
21337
714049363456
1394627663
73

da0s1
3

r0w0e0

r0w0e0
da0s1s4
10924544
512

3
10924544
21337
714049363456
1394627663
73

da0
2

r0w0e0

r0w0e0
da0s1
120031478784
512

0
120031478784
234436482
32256
63
12

ad0
2

r1w1e3

r1w1e2
ad0s1
40007729664
512

0
40007729664
78140097
32256
63
165

MBREXT

BDE

PART

da0
2

MBR
4
63
234441647
63
255

r0w0e0

r0w0e0
da0s1
120031478784
512

1
!12
32256
120031478784
12

ad0s1
3

BSD
8
0
78140096
63
16

r1w1e2

r0w0e0
ad0s1f
5368709120
512

6
freebsd-ufs
1048576000
5368709120
7

r0w0e0
ad0s1e
734003200
512

5
freebsd-ufs
314572800
734003200
7

r0w0e0
ad0s1d
314572800
512

4
freebsd-ufs
0
314572800
7

r0w0e0
ad0s1b
402653184
512

2
freebsd-swap
6417285120
402653184
1

r1w1e1
ad0s1a
33187791360
512

1
freebsd-ufs
6819938304
33187791360
7

DISK

cd0
1

r0w0e0
cd0
0
2048

0
0

da0
1

r0w0e0
da0
120034123776
512

255
63

ad0
1

r1w1e3
ad0
40007761920
512

16
63

LABEL

da0s1
3

r0w0e0

r0w0e0
msdosfs/WD Passport
120031478784
512

0
120031478784
234436482
0
0

SWAP

DEV

msdosfs/WD Passports4
5

r0w0e0

da0s1s4
4

r0w0e0

msdosfs/WD Passport
4

r0w0e0

cd0
2

r0w0e0

da0s1
3

r0w0e0

da0s1
3

r0w0e0

da0
2

r0w0e0

ad0s1df
5

r0w0e0

ad0s1de
5

r0w0e0

ad0s1dd
5

r0w0e0

ad0s1dc
5

r0w0e0

ad0s1db
5

r0w0e0

ad0s1da
5

r0w0e0

ad0s1f
4

r0w0e0

ad0s1e
4

r0w0e0

ad0s1d
4

r0w0e0

ad0s1b
4

r0w0e0

ad0s1a
4

r0w0e0

acd0
2

r0w0e0

ad0s1
3

r0w0e0

ad0
2

r0w0e0

BSD

ad0s1d
4

512
32256
32256

r0w0e0

r0w0e0
ad0s1df
5368709120
512

5
5368709120
10485760
1048576000
2048000
7

r0w0e0
ad0s1de
734003200
512

4
734003200
1433600
314572800
614400
7

r0w0e0
ad0s1dd
314572800
512

3
314572800
614400
0
0
7

r0w0e0
ad0s1dc
40007729664
512

2
40007729664
78140097
0
0
0

r0w0e0
ad0s1db
402653184
512

1
402653184
786432
6417285120
12533760
1

r0w0e0
ad0s1da
33187791360
512

0
33187791360
64819905
6819938304
13320192
7

Hope the above will help solving it, though as far as it's specific to my
weird kernel configuration and the bad options combination is known it's low
priority. Also, if someone can offer a simple way to get kern.geom.confxml at
the time the problem occurs, i can experiment more.

--
Regards, Mirya
ICQ #313898202