ALSA support for linuxator - any ideas / progress ? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on ALSA support for linuxator - any ideas / progress ? - FreeBSD ; Hi As far as we have working flash player under linuxator (see "firefox & flash9 patches" thread in emulation@) it will be nice to have sound here. So far flashplayer9 just complains about no ALSA devices: .... ALSA lib confmisc.c:672 ...

  1. ALSA support for linuxator - any ideas / progress ?

    Hi

    As far as we have working flash player under linuxator (see "firefox &
    flash9 patches" thread in emulation@) it will be nice to have sound
    here.
    So far flashplayer9 just complains about no ALSA devices:

    ALSA lib confmisc.c:672snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1072snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib conf.c:3962snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2099snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1305_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:672snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1072snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib conf.c:3962snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2099snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1305_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:672snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'

    Probably anyone have ideas how to make linux ALSA applications to work under FreeBSD ?
    some obvious ideas here:
    - provide fake, OSS-backended libalsa (probably there is such beast on Linux ?)
    - port ALSA framework on FreeBSD (looks complex, but there was such talks about this in lists)
    - something else ?

    --
    Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
    vova@fbsd.ru

  2. Re: ALSA support for linuxator - any ideas / progress ?

    Quoting "Vladimir Grebenschikov" (from Wed, 01 Oct 2008
    14:08:08 +0400):

    > Hi
    >
    > As far as we have working flash player under linuxator (see "firefox &
    > flash9 patches" thread in emulation@) it will be nice to have sound
    > here.
    > So far flashplayer9 just complains about no ALSA devices:

    > Probably anyone have ideas how to make linux ALSA applications to
    > work under FreeBSD ?
    > some obvious ideas here:
    > - provide fake, OSS-backended libalsa (probably there is such beast
    > on Linux ?)

    AFAIK there's no such thing on Linux. The openosund developers had a
    fake libalsa, but it was just a minimal one, and they dont't really
    maintain it.

    > - port ALSA framework on FreeBSD (looks complex, but there was such
    > talks about this in lists)

    There was just some talk to get the OSS libalsa working... but only
    talk, no code. So just assume there's nothing.

    > - something else ?

    There's a flash9 add-on which uses OSS instead of ALSA
    (libflashsupport.so in the linux-flashplugin9 port). It should work.
    If not someone should have a look at what's going on there.

    Bye,
    Alexander.

    --
    Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #139:
    Wives serve, brothers inherit.

    http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
    http://www.FreeBSD.org netchild @ FreeBSD.org : PGP ID = 72077137

  3. Re: ALSA support for linuxator - any ideas / progress ?

    Alexander Leidinger wrote:
    > Quoting "Vladimir Grebenschikov" (from Wed, 01 Oct 2008
    > 14:08:08 +0400):
    > > Probably anyone have ideas how to make linux ALSA applications to
    > > work under FreeBSD ?
    > > some obvious ideas here:
    > > - provide fake, OSS-backended libalsa (probably there is such beast
    > > on Linux ?)

    > AFAIK there's no such thing on Linux.

    The alsa-plugins package contains an OSS backend for libasound. See
    .

    Regards,
    Clemens

  4. Re: ALSA support for linuxator - any ideas / progress ?

    Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
    > [...]
    > After that some simple wav's can be played:
    >
    > $ /compat/linux/usr/bin/aplay /usr/local/share/apps/sim/sounds/message.wav
    > Playing WAVE '/usr/local/share/apps/sim/sounds/message.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
    >
    > Unfortunately flash9 plug-in is still silent, but it not shows more any
    > error messages.

    Flash 9 relies on ALSA's async PCM handler, i.e., SIGIO notifications.
    This means that it requires an ALSA kernel driver; many other ALSA
    plugins besides 'oss' do not work with it either.

    Regards,
    Clemens